New Delta Boarding Process Jan 2019

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 24, 19, 4:41 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: serfty
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 24, 19, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ethernal View Post
I think the consensus is more that they don't want to do numerical zone boarding because then "priority boarding" would be Zone 5 (if we don't include preboards, military, children / strollers - Zone 8 if they are included). A casual traveler will see "Zone 1" and think their priority boarding is actually meaningful. Seeing Zone 5 would make them feel ripped off. It's not so much a contractual issue as it is a perception issue.
If AA and UA can have a numerical number system and also have credit cards that get around the same boarding priority as DL, I don’t see why it can’t be done. It is honestly so stupid how it is done now and this “enhancement” won’t improve the issue any more and will probably make it worse.
SYRRDU likes this.
Old Jan 24, 19, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter/2MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer View Post
I really don’t think it is actually the AMEX card that is holding up changing to actuall numerical order zone boarding as the AMEX ads now just states “priority boarding” instead of Zone 1 Boarding under the card benefits.
I know what you are saying,... not sure if "Priority boarding" is going to change things much for those who easily confuse it with "Sky Priority." DL created this mess by having a "Zone 1" when in actuality it was 5th zone that boarded, which contributed to the clogged-up boarding process. The casual flyer sees they were in Zone 1 or 2 and think they are the first or second to be boarded. This won't change things at RDU.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 24, 19, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
They should have two lines, one for medallions, STE, STE+, and other partner elites; and a second line for everyone else. Then they board the medallion line first, and then everyone else second. When someone walks into the medallion line after the other line starts boarding, it should be just like today where you stop the line, board the medallion person, and keep going.
Old Jan 24, 19, 3:51 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Ritz PP, Hertz PC
Totally agree with posts below. Just give us #'s. Even when mine is not high, then I know. Beauty of LUV. If they were going with words for numbers, then they absolutely SHOULD NOT have put a number (Main Cabin 1) that is pretty far down the list. Those passengers are going to be sadly mistaken that there's nothing 1 about their priority.

I'm just not sure DL fully understands that an impediment to boarding is the congestion at the gate and it is also, obviously, a pet peeve of their most valued customers. Why it bothers me is because I try to be really polite and assume everyone standing in front of me is waiting to board first and then they rarely are but I'm too afraid of cutting in line that I'm going to stand behind them until it's obvious they aren't.
Old Jan 24, 19, 3:58 pm

Programs: SkyMiles Member, WFBF
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR View Post
They should have two lines, one for medallions, STE, STE+, and other partner elites; and a second line for everyone else. Then they board the medallion line first, and then everyone else second. When someone walks into the medallion line after the other line starts boarding, it should be just like today where you stop the line, board the medallion person, and keep going.
If you mean board medallions after D1/First, then I agree. If mean board medallions before D1/First, then I couldn't disagree more.
Old Jan 24, 19, 4:05 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
7a Flight out of JAC today and the SkyWest agents working didn’t seem to know about the new boarding process. They confused people by calling out Premium on your boarding pass. (Mainline flight, but ground agents are SkyWest)

Flight out of SLC today used the new process. Seemed fine, but I boarded with First.
Old Jan 24, 19, 5:04 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR View Post
i can’t imagine the sky priority lines will go away. If main 3 aka zone 7 is boarding and your first or diamond or comf + or sky priority I would guess you can still use that lane in front of everyone else boarding in the main line. Just a guess.
Old Jan 24, 19, 5:08 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles

If AA and UA can have a numerical number system and also have credit cards that get around the same boarding priority as DL, I don’t see why it can’t be done. It is honestly so stupid how it is done now and this “enhancement” won’t improve the issue any more and will probably make it worse.
why on earth would delta want to be like AA or UA? It’s a branding and marketing thing, and delta is different in this sense. If someone is buying C+ it adds a huge value and isn’t that what delta is after, more revenue, more profitable airline. I would hate to see delta start to copy UA or AA on anything.
Old Jan 25, 19, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
For what it's worth, when I flew Atlanta–Albuquerque on Tuesday, which was one of the last days on the old boarding system, there were 15 in the premium zone and at least 50 passengers in the Sky Priority zone. The aircraft was a 737-900.
Old Jan 25, 19, 1:35 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
In two of my experiences now with the new boarding process:

As FO, booked coach seat. “Upgraded” twice to C+, but even after the upgrade and new seat assignment, am still in boarding group Main Cabin 1 for both flights.

So based on my experience (n of 2), being upgraded to C+ does not get you the priority boarding above coach seats. Not complaining, but more just find it interesting that upgraded boarding no longer comes with upgraded seats.
Old Jan 25, 19, 3:17 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred, Delta Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond
I am somewhat out of the loop on this, but flying out of RDU today I noticed "First" in lieu of the Prem I normally see in FC. I knew that they were reorganizing the boarding process but I didn't know that they were reclassifying the zone name on the physical ticket.

To add more confusion to the incident, the gate agent completely bypassed pre-boarding process and asked me if I was flying Premium Select when I came up to board.....on a G7 operated flight.
Old Jan 25, 19, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by kavok View Post
In two of my experiences now with the new boarding process:

As FO, booked coach seat. “Upgraded” twice to C+, but even after the upgrade and new seat assignment, am still in boarding group Main Cabin 1 for both flights.

So based on my experience (n of 2), being upgraded to C+ does not get you the priority boarding above coach seats. Not complaining, but more just find it interesting that upgraded boarding no longer comes with upgraded seats.
It appears that this is a bug as Delta has made it clear that an upgrade will give you the boarding status of the seat.

When were you upgraded? At the gate? Did the app refresh the seat properly?
Old Jan 25, 19, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ethernal View Post
It appears that this is a bug as Delta has made it clear that an upgrade will give you the boarding status of the seat.

When were you upgraded? At the gate? Did the app refresh the seat properly?
The DL app tends to have a problem updating your zone if you where upgraded after you checked in. I would guess that this is can be a common issue for FOs since UGs don’t happen until T-24 and you may check in before you are upgraded.
Old Jan 25, 19, 7:13 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United

The DL app tends to have a problem updating your zone if you where upgraded after you checked in. I would guess that this is can be a common issue for FOs since UGs don’t happen until T-24 and you may check in before you are upgraded.
In first case, I was upgraded at the gate about 20min before boarding. Went up to the desk, had them print me a new pass... still Main1. Not a a big deal, more just curious what would happen.

In second case, upgraded at T-24 of that particular flight, though I had checked in previously (as I was “upgraded” for the second leg, and I checked in right at T-24 of first leg.). This time I printed off a boarding
pass from kiosk at airport, and printed pass said board in C+, though app continued to display Main1. So you are right, it must be a bug with the app.
Old Jan 26, 19, 6:23 am

Programs: DL DM 2 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond SPG Lifetime Plat Marriott Plat AMB Hertz PC
Flying back from overseas yesterday they had the new signs and it went similar to the old boarding but with the new names. In ATL similar also, overall I see no difference and think it is more an enforcement issue then anything else.

Search this Thread