Search
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Print Wikipost

New Delta Boarding Process Jan 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:55 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by ryw
Given the new graphic, I'm really confused why they don't just print on the boarding pass and verbally say Zones 1-8 (I think that's how AA does it?), in addition to the verbal name. i.e., "Now boarding Zone 3, Delta Comfort+."

I get the idea that the color on a mobile boarding pass could match the color on the gate area screens as a nice secondary indicator that you're boarding at the right time, but a straight set of numbers seems easiest for people (especially non-frequent fliers) could understand.
I'd also wager that color BPs are the minority. I can't imagine them upgrading to color printers at kiosk or agent machines. I only have a B&W laser printer at home, and many people with color probably still print in B&W to save on toner.

GIVE US NUMBERS, DELTA! It's okay to admit that AA does something right when it's actually true! Don't let ego and "Zone 1" Amex advertisements stand in the way of real progress!
SYRRDU and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Wife and I have zone “Diamnd” on BP for tomorrow. Guess “o”s were too much for IT?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Anyone flying today have any feedback yet? If flying out of ATL or any other airport with the pillars, where they updated with the new branding yet?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by pvn
were the people with strollers sucking up your PDBs? I don't see how this makes any difference.
I have experienced what MCOFlyer is talking about at MCO, It is that there are so many of them and the clog the boarding area, half of them don't even have a stroller but feel they are entitled to board with their Mickey Mouse hats on just because they has kids with them.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
I have experienced what MCOFlyer is talking about at MCO, It is that there are so many of them and the clog the boarding area, half of them don't even have a stroller but feel they are entitled to board with their Mickey Mouse hats on just because they has kids with them.
This I never understood. I traveled with my niece once when she was younger. I waited until the last possible moment to board the plane. I wanted her out and with her toys as long as possible before I put her in a confined space with strangers.

I remain fine with the new, or any, boarding process because if I'm up front I board first and if I'm in back, whether it's C+ or Y, I'm going to be one of the last people to board the plane by choice. But I do wish they would just simply have numbered the group so Main Cabin 1 doesn't think that really means 1. And I do wish they'd make a pre-announcement that basically says if you aren't pre-board or in first 1-2 groups, don't clog the boarding area. Such an easy stand alone announcement and it would make life easier for the GA's (and customers).
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
will delta have to make new boarding pillars for the airports that currently have them? Seems a little pricey to do so.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
No pillars at SLC, but went like this:

Extra assistance
Military
FC and DM
Strollers and Children
Sky
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:40 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
yeah but what difference does it make when they board? You're not being deprived of anything, you're just mad that they're on your plane. If anything, letting them board first means the time that they're "clogging the gate" is minimized.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
MSY went:

First/DM
C+
SKY
No idea

Was in SKY since I declined C+ to have whole exit row but plane was pretty empty so wasn't a big change except I was the only person who boarded with SKY (apparently all other DM/PM/GM opted for C+)
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
some will def not agree, but putting families and strollers behind PREM/FC is a welcome change to me.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
some will def not agree, but putting families and strollers behind PREM/FC is a welcome change to me.
Upside is that there will be more gaps in the boarding process so there is no excuse for not providing PDBs. The downside, is that it seems you will be on the plane longer and you will have more people bumping into you as they board since either the parents are hauling more stuff than they can fit in the aisle or the kid is going to be dragging a suitcase and hitting every armrest on the way by with it. Although admirable for a kid to be hauling their own stuff, coordination and steering of the luggage is lacking. I think I will probably wait and board with C+.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
Just Checked in for tomorrow's flight and got "FIRST" rather then "PREM" on the BP. Didn't really pay much attention to this "new" boarding process thread until now. DL has really made this more complicated than it should be and I am expecting lots of confusion with those that don't read these forums. Agree with the comment above about AMEX advertisements in the way of progress. One question,... When does my FO Sherpa board?
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by SYRRDU
Just Checked in for tomorrow's flight and got "FIRST" rather then "PREM" on the BP. Didn't really pay much attention to this "new" boarding process thread until now. DL has really made this more complicated than it should be and I am expecting lots of confusion with those that don't read these forums. Agree with the comment above about AMEX advertisements in the way of progress. One question,... When does my FO Sherpa board?
I really don’t think it is actually the AMEX card that is holding up changing to actuall numerical order zone boarding as the AMEX ads now just states “priority boarding” instead of Zone 1 Boarding under the card benefits.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
My dad checked in for his flight today, he is diamond, and was upgraded to First. The BP read "Zone - First" not Diamond, his friend flying was in purchased Comfort +, "Zone Comf+"
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer

I really don’t think it is actually the AMEX card that is holding up changing to actuall numerical order zone boarding as the AMEX ads now just states “priority boarding” instead of Zone 1 Boarding under the card benefits.
I think the consensus is more that they don't want to do numerical zone boarding because then "priority boarding" would be Zone 5 (if we don't include preboards, military, children / strollers - Zone 8 if they are included). A casual traveler will see "Zone 1" and think their priority boarding is actually meaningful. Seeing Zone 5 would make them feel ripped off. It's not so much a contractual issue as it is a perception issue.
SYRRDU and strickerj like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.