Last edit by: serfty
Print Wikipost

New Delta Boarding Process Jan 2019

Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:48 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by wxman22
This is another aspect which makes no sense. As a PM, I prefer a preferred exit row, the C+. Now I am being penalized for this choice, but the alternative, for me to take a C+ seat, reduces the seats Delta can sell.
So, somehow, DL has found the WORST of both worlds.
Mind boggling dumb. Dumber than dirt.
How much of a penalty is this, exactly? If you're in the exit row you're not going to be competing for overhead space with C+. The only people boarding before you that will matter will be DMs in the exit row, which is exactly the same as the current process.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:50 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
You will be rewarded soon. Delta is certain to make MQD's the ONLY factor in determining status. That is where they are going.
I don't think so. The MQM boosts are a strong incentive for cards. Also, a pure-MQD system makes the waivers ... problematic, which is another huge driver for cards sign-ups.
SJC ORD LDR likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by sdix
As I have said in other threads I went "free agent" this year instead of chasing Diamond as I have done in the past. I feel the status levels below Diamond have really lost their value. Because of this decision Delta "lost":

$12,000 - Wife and I on LF F Class to Europe
$4,000 - Me in C on KE to ICN
$12,000 - Me in C 3 trips to ICN on UA
$900 - Me SJC - EWR on UA (instead of DL out of SFO)

Do they care about almost $29,000?
No, because someone on another airline did the EXACT same thing and instead of spending money on "Airline X" spent the money on Delta. Their profit margins are good and that's what they want.

(I really don't think they missed your 29K This was from the September earnings press release "Delta’s adjusted operating revenue of $11.8 billion for the September quarter improved eight percent, or $912 million versus the prior year." )

Last edited by Orange County Commuter; Dec 13, 2018 at 12:31 pm
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by sdix
As I have said in other threads I went "free agent" this year instead of chasing Diamond as I have done in the past. I feel the status levels below Diamond have really lost their value. Because of this decision Delta "lost":

$12,000 - Wife and I on LF F Class to Europe
$4,000 - Me in C on KE to ICN
$12,000 - Me in C 3 trips to ICN on UA
$900 - Me SJC - EWR on UA (instead of DL out of SFO)

Do they care about almost $29,000?
> Checks DAL's income statement
> $43,000,000,000.00 in revenue.

Nope.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I had the opportunity today to experience a UA boarding in ATL for the first time in ages.

Two "lanes," one evidently reserved for First and super elites.

Five "zones," with everyone but Zone 1 boarding through Lane 2. About 2/3 of the flight seemed to be in Zone 3.

It didn't really make more sense than anyone else's process. BUT--the gate agent was amazing. She spoke slowly and clearly, repeated announcements, gave direct orders. She was like a pleasant but firm schoolteacher. "If you're boarding with Zone 3, there's already a line at the back. You need to go all the way to the end and line up." "If you are not Zone 3, remain seated until I call your Zone."

I really think that the way the gate agents make announcements is way more important than the structure of the boarding. They typically mumble and rush, you can't hear them, they don't repeat, they don't instill order in the crowd.

Delta should initiate compulsory speech training for gate agents who are making boarding announcements.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:08 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Delta's gate agents are among the worst employees of the airline.

Rarely articulate. Often inaudible. Routinely incomprehensible.

Especially in SEA.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rogo
Delta's gate agents are among the worst employees of the airline.

Rarely articulate. Often inaudible. Routinely incomprehensible.

Especially in SEA.
I actually had a bizarre gate experience at SEA this week, boarding SEA>MKE on Tue. 11-Dec. There was a guy with two younger girls (4-8 years in age). I had been hanging out in the SkyClub and load was light so it was just that guy with the girls and the GA when I arrived. The GA had her voice raised and was telling the guy “you need to be more responsible and take responsibility for your actions. Stop blaming other people!” And then he tried to say something and she said “don’t even bother trying to talk to me!” I despise conflict and they were going back and forth for a good 2 minutes before I was allowed to board.

This was while I was standing there with my phone boarding pass waiting to go on. I got rattled and lost the Barcode and fumbled with the app to get it back, terrified she was going to snap at me. She wasn’t mean to me but she certainly wasn’t nice, didn’t say my name or the traditional “thank you for being DM” which I usually get esp. if it’s just me boarding.

I was not there to see what precipitated this and maybe he did something really bad before I arrived. What I will say is that in 18 years of flying roughly 1.5M miles and thousands of flights is that I’ve never seen an employee of any travel organization treat a customer this way. I think she would just have to be better than this. I debated complaining with a TTU but it (mostly) didn’t involve me and I don’t like to log a lot of complaints for fear they keep count or think I’m wh*ring around for miles.

So yeah. SEA gate agents. Wow. On top of a really bad incident at Customs trying to do a Global Entry Interview on Arrival, I wouldn’t mind staying away from SEA for a while. Both of those incidents changed my whole perception of the airport.

Last edited by bergamini; Dec 14, 2018 at 7:12 am
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by bergamini

I actually had a bizarre gate experience at SEA this week, boarding SEA>MKE on Tue. 11-Dec. There was a guy with two younger girls (4-8 years in age). I had been hanging out in the SkyClub and load was light so it was just that guy with the girls and the GA when I arrived. The GA had her voice raised and was telling the guy “you need to be more responsible and take responsibility for your actions. Stop blaming other people!” And then he tried to say something and she said “don’t even bother trying to talk to me!” I despise conflict and they were going back and forth for a good 2 minutes before I was allowed to board.

This was while I was standing there with my phone boarding pass waiting to go on. I got rattled and lost the Barcode and fumbled with the app to get it back, terrified she was going to snap at me. She wasn’t mean to me but she certainly wasn’t nice, didn’t say my name or the traditional “thank you for being DM” which I usually get esp. if it’s just me boarding.

I was not there to see what precipitated this and maybe he did something really bad before I arrived. What I will say is that in 18 years of flying roughly 1.5M miles and thousands of flights is that I’ve never seen an employee of any travel organization treat a customer this way. I think she would just have to be better than this. I debated complaining with a TTU but it (mostly) didn’t involve me and I don’t like to log a lot of complaints for fear they keep count or think I’m wh*ring around for miles.

So yeah. SEA gate agents. Wow. On top of a really bad incident at Customs trying to do a Global Entry Interview on Arrival, I wouldn’t mind staying away from SEA for a while. Both of those incidents changed my whole perception of the airport.
As a SEA based traveler, this is very, very typical for the past 6 months at SEA. You should have seen the CF at one of the B gates when a GA boarded the flight using a direct line to the podium rather than the lanes that DL set up for SKY and regular! The gate lice for first class were tripping over themselves trying to adjust, cutting under the ropes and eventually just knocking them down. When DL first expanded in SEA, they had some of the best employees at DL(except for one and she still works there), but the strong economy has made it very difficult to find people to fill jobs no matter what they are, and so its really the bottom of the barrel they are hiring. Combine this with crowded and filthy terminals, filthy planes, chronic delays waiting for a gate to open (more than half of my flights this year we have waited for a gate - most recent was 45 minutes, turning an early arrival into a late arrival), terrible traffic around and at the airport, I start to wonder is a 3 hour drive to PDX less hassle than a 30 minute drive to SEA?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by The Situation
but the strong economy has made it very difficult to find people to fill jobs no matter what they are, and so its really the bottom of the barrel they are hiring.
Exactly, this is responsible for most of the threads lately on flyertalk about poor service for airlines and hotels.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL GM / PC APM / SPG GM / GP PM
Originally Posted by wrytoast
This is a gigantic, unmitigated "F*ck You" to PMs. As a 100k mile/yr PM, who often buys ridiculously expensive last minute coach tickets (when there's no C+ left), and who has no problem making the MQDs each year, if Delta's new line is going to be "WC+BC+," well, ok. I will. But not consistently on Delta.

Now, in particular, Southwest and JetBlue become more attractive options for my last minute tickets.

And if there's basically no consistent benefit to being Platinum, the 20% of the time I buy F, from now on, I'll buy F solely on price and schedule, rather than staying loyal to Delta.

And when I have to travel with my family during the holidays, I'm sure as hell not going through Atlanta if there's a nonstop on another airline.

Why bother with a Platinum and Gold elite tier to your loyalty program if there's basically no benefit to it?
100000000% agree

Almost all tickets I buy are 24 hours or less, usually if C+ is available its only middle seats.....I've flown SW a couple times this year in order to get direct flights and its not that bad when you buy there business product and get A1-15 boarding.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: DL DM
Regarding this boarding order, what is the proper etiquette and DL policy for having family members board with the family member of the highest priority? (when on different PNRs).
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:05 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by hotturnip
I had the opportunity today to experience a UA boarding in ATL for the first time in ages.

Two "lanes," one evidently reserved for First and super elites.

Five "zones," with everyone but Zone 1 boarding through Lane 2. About 2/3 of the flight seemed to be in Zone 3.

It didn't really make more sense than anyone else's process. BUT--the gate agent was amazing. She spoke slowly and clearly, repeated announcements, gave direct orders. She was like a pleasant but firm schoolteacher. "If you're boarding with Zone 3, there's already a line at the back. You need to go all the way to the end and line up." "If you are not Zone 3, remain seated until I call your Zone."

I really think that the way the gate agents make announcements is way more important than the structure of the boarding. They typically mumble and rush, you can't hear them, they don't repeat, they don't instill order in the crowd.

Delta should initiate compulsory speech training for gate agents who are making boarding announcements.
FWIW UA very recently started allowing 1Ks to preboard (they're supposed to be the last group to preboard after GS, active military, families etc. but some GAs just preboard everyone all at once). There are some responses in the corresponding thread from POed free agents who WFBF that elites get to board before them. Any method will have winners and losers and the losers will always have a reason why they are getting the shaft and it should be the other way around (and the winners have equally self-serving reasons why it's fine the way it is)

Slightly less recently but still recent is having only two lanes. There used to be 5 lines, which may sound ridiculous, but did cut down on the main problem people are complaining about when the complain about gate lice which is if you are trying to board in group N and all the people in groups N+ are blocking access to the lanes. I liked this better, but shrug.

Agree that clear announcements and consistent enforcement bring about the best results whatever the method.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:09 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by The Situation
but the strong economy has made it very difficult to find people to fill jobs no matter what they are, and so its really the bottom of the barrel they are hiring.

I think this is true in many industries, including parts of travel. However, I was under the impression that jobs with big airlines that come with flight benefits were still pretty competitive, especially customer facing jobs like GA's and FA's.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 4:25 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hotturnip

I agree I saw an AA agent tell someone recently sorry we are only boarding zone x and send them to the back of the line. That and making people register/ only the person for preboarding being allowed to board would help.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
New boarding colors showing up on booking

Interesting to see the new, color-coded boarding zones are now being reflected during booking.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.