FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Print Wikipost

New Delta Boarding Process Jan 2019

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:09 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
The biggest issue with named boarding groups/zones is that the overwhelming majority of PAX do not know what the ordering is supposed to be. So when boarding starts they are just going to crowd around the gate. The boarding groups/zones need to be SIMPLE. A,B,C,D,E, etc, or 1,2,3,4,5, etc. This new process is just a waste of time and money.
I really don't think it matters. AA uses 1,2,3,4,5, and people still crowd the gate, as they want to be the first of their boarding group. So when group 1 is boarding, 3's and 4's are pushing forward to "get ready".
Its more about marketing and perception, perhaps some clarity, and creating another intangible for buying up to a "better" class.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: Delta
Train the gate agents

Last Saturday I flew out of HND. The board process lined up Delta One and Delta Comfort + in two rows. However when they announced, they said D1 and PREM passengers. I was a Comfort + yet not allowed to board with the D1 folk. So no big deal as the difference was about 3-4 minutes. However, there were a few around me who were disgruntled as they felt they should have boarded with the D1 and not with the Comfort +. Of course these folk will always find something to complain about, but it is on Delta to explain to the Gate Agents how it should work.

I think the best boarding process for Delta that I have seen is in Narita and parts of China. Agents holding placards with the appropriate boarding schedule, will simply form lines, and then when the time comes, guide the lines to the gate.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, AS, Hilton, Marriott, Avis
Change for the sake of...?

I fly front cabin, so this doesn't impact me, but I fail to see where the present arrangement, which favors high status members as well as other premium fare classes, is deficient. The folks clustered around the boarding gate doors aren't the Platinums in Coach, it's the infrequent fliers suffering FOMO, and not understanding how the zone system works.

I suspect this initiative will die quickly, and without comment. Had I earned my status by flying a hundred thousand or more miles in 29" pitch seating, I would be more than pissed to be shuffled to the inferior boarding position.
Raoul Duke likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:43 am

Boy am I glad I don't count DL as my primary carrier any more.

How long until everything is driven by what you paid for that ticket no matter your status?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by kavok
The only way to really address this congestion at the gate is to make it simple like AA does and label every zone with a number. That way, anyone who sees they are in zone 7 knows that they have a ways to go when zone 2 is boarding.. and they don't get up and gather at the gate until zone 6 starts to board.
AA have gate lice too, and as I've been trying to squeeze past as zone 3/4, I've seen 6s standing around.

Originally Posted by kavok
2) Delta really needs to break up Zone 1, or what is now Main Cabin 1.
Agreed - I mean, especially at hubs which are so elite heavy, even a change to AA's approach of boarding all elites above credit cards (AA Gold = Zone 4, CC = Zone 5) would help.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: Global Mercenary
Originally Posted by danielSuper
Well, except you don't really pay more than FF members. Your paid First fare twice a year is less profit for Delta than frequent fliers 50-100 segments in Y.
What you don't understand is that people work on the road. It's often not their choice. Every 30 minutes lost per day in baggage claim or to be 10 minutes early at the gate due to Byzantine boarding accumulates to days or weeks of lost time per year. You're not with your kids for a week, because Delta cannot board a plane under 45 minutes.

They couldn't care less about you and Sally and wifey, you can come first on the plane, it doesn't matter. They are "crazy" because another byzantine boondoggle is adding 5,10,15 minutes to their workflow, resulting in a lost week over those 100 segments.
I completely understand people work on the road. But the inherent problem is that road warriors feel a sense of entitlement as if it's their plane and everyone else be damned.

Frequent business travelers comprise 15-20% of airline passenger loads. They need to recognize they are in the minority and will have to deal with a lot of nonsense and inefficiencies caused by my fellow leisure travelers.

As many have commented above, the business traveler is extremely lucrative to airlines (often 50 - 75% of revenue per flight) due to refundable tickets etc. But let's just get this over with - those prices you pay are covered in full by your company. So unless you are an owner, don't come on this forum and wave your expensive refundable ticket price as a badge of honor. Your company is paying for the cost of your travel but you expect the airline to shower you personally in status and ridiculous perks.

I drive 1 hour each way to work every day. I understand that saving a few minutes each way can save several days of time with my family per year. It is frustrating to sit in traffic or construction etc, but that's my choice. Living in a nicer town further from work is my choice just as traveling for work is all of yours. If I had to take a bus every day, it would be annoying to stop everywhere and wait for people to board, but that would be my choice. Understand that traveling on a public mode of transport is not a part of your "workflow". It's your choice of career and you will have to deal with me, the "gate lice" and the majority of other passengers on the plane not there to cater to your "workflow"

If your job and time are so damn important, fly private.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
My personal takeaway from this is that it's the preamble to PMs losing their C+ at booking "upgrade" benefit, which jives with the new boarding position and DL's repeatedly stated goal of monetizing their seats to the n'th degree. Further supporting is the "new and improved" opportunity to use your miles for seat upgrades to C+ or F.
This would be fantastic but I doubt it. I believe they are just trying to target the situation at Atlanta and other hubs where the Sky Priority line is 75+ people. This forces a segmentation such that at least 20 or so of those people board in the C+ group meaning that the Sky Priority group is only 50 people. Again at the expense is slightly slower boarding.

Last edited by ethernal; Dec 12, 2018 at 7:17 am
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
WOW, translation: "let them eat cake", "cry me a river', "fly the corporate jet".
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter

How long until everything is driven by what you paid for that ticket no matter your status?
You might take a thorough read of the new boarding process: D1, First, and Comfort+ are advantaged in boarding priority, no matter if they GUC'd, miles upgraded, or Medallion upgraded into those cabins - as higher status elites will do. Elites are still advantaged in the zone boarding categories, too.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I'm gold. I don't expect upgrades, and I've even accepted that you took away C+ upgrades at time of ticketing away from us (though I miss that most). This, however, feels like a real "we don't actually care about you" move. I like boarding right after first class. I like getting on a mostly empty plane and having some space to get settled, and I like not having a long line in the jet bridge.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I'm gold. I don't expect upgrades, and I've even accepted that you took away C+ upgrades at time of ticketing away from us (though I miss that most). This, however, feels like a real "we don't actually care about you" move. I like boarding right after first class. I like getting on a mostly empty plane and having some space to get settled, and I like not having a long line in the jet bridge.
Gold is definitely the new Silver, but I don't think that boarding priority has much to do with it - it's been a slow erosion of benefits and increased competition from higher elites that has done it. I don't have precheck but I know that most people do, so the benefits for the average carry-on only Gold Medallion flying out of a major hub are pretty much that they get slightly higher boarding priority than credit card holders and preferred seats (which Silver also gets). The only other benefits are some extra SkyPesos and waived SDC fees but that has obviously been made more difficult to use with the fare class requirements.

Unless you fly at odd times or on leisure focused routes, I can't imagine you will ever get a C+ or F upgrade as a Gold out of a hub like Atlanta (especially as the fleet of high C+ density planes like MD-88s shrink) so I'm excluding that as a benefit.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter

i have Elite status with AA and for the life of me, I don’t understand why folks with Elite status feel they are entitled to more than the folks who don’t have status but willing to pay.

I personnally feel that the airlines need to first take take care of the passengers who are willing to pay for an upgraded product. This includes them boarding first. Then, if there are upgrades to be had, give them to the Elites status members, but board after the passengers who have paid for their upgrades.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by CLTRob
I personnally feel that the airlines need to first take take care of the passengers who are willing to pay for an upgraded product. This includes them boarding first. Then, if there are upgrades to be had, give them to the Elites status members, but board after the passengers who have paid for their upgrades.
This is intuitive but airlines are not stupid. They more margin (domestically) off of a last minute business traveler sitting in Y than they do off of most folks in F (the exception being the few last minute F buyers). There is a need to protect that revenue. Now, it is certainly fair to have a discussion about whether boarding order matters and where that should fit - but ignoring Y passengers is not in an airline's best interest.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by see2xu
... The folks clustered around the boarding gate doors aren't the Platinums in Coach, it's the infrequent fliers suffering FOMO, and not understanding how the zone system works...
I disagree. Plenty of elite brag tags proudly displayed by gate lice.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by CLTRob
And then we get back to the argument that elite passengers HAVE paid for their upgrades, by being frequent fliers and spending lots to get that status. Same argument that paying with money is different than paying with miles- which I earned by paying with money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.