Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Bans Puppies and Kittens as Service/Support Animals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Bans Puppies and Kittens as Service/Support Animals

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is inconceiveable that DL has not obtained at least an informal "no action" from DOT. Large public companies don't take these risks because they just lead to nasty enforcement orders and shareholder derivative lawsuits when the fines are issued.

So, not worth debating unless you really are privvy to DL's legal work.

More to the point, good to see DL putting the interest of paying passengers ahead of animals.
DiverDave, ULDB65 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I don't know how DL will enforce an age minimum. There's just no way to prove this. There are not verifiable records of animal birth. I mean, a tiny puppy or kitten is pretty obvious, but it's not actually provable. My dog is very small--7 pounds, and people always ask if he is a puppy, even though he is 2.5 years old.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I don't know how DL will enforce an age minimum. There's just no way to prove this. There are not verifiable records of animal birth. I mean, a tiny puppy or kitten is pretty obvious, but it's not actually provable. My dog is very small--7 pounds, and people always ask if he is a puppy, even though he is 2.5 years old.
Wouldn't that be up to a Vet to certify? Dogs have to be at least 3 months old (13 weeks) and a cat, with certain vaccines, has to be at least 2 months old. Plus, the 28 days for the vaccine to become effective gives another month or 4 weeks. Wouldn't that information be included, or assumed, with the rabies vaccination certificate?

https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/specific_...ccination.html
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by OHDL1
Wouldn't that be up to a Vet to certify? Dogs have to be at least 3 months old (13 weeks) and a cat, with certain vaccines, has to be at least 2 months old. Plus, the 28 days for the vaccine to become effective gives another month or 4 weeks. Wouldn't that information be included, or assumed, with the rabies vaccination certificate?

https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/specific_...ccination.html

I do not see vets agreeing to certify information about an animal's age for an airline that could expose them to any kind of liability. Vets provide certificates only for things they know for certain to be true, which are things that have happened in their office, like a vaccine. I mean, on my dogs vet records it says his age, but that's just based on the DOB that I reported to that vet office when we started using them.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ari
Sure, If the dog has been trained to hold it for 12 hours at home and fluid and food intake was managed before the flight then I don't see the issue. My dog (not an emotional support animal) used to tire himself out on long walks (runs) and sleep for like 10-12 hours straight right after. I'm sure I could have trained him to hold it for 12 hours if I tried. If service animals can be trained to hold it for 12 hours, so can ESA's. It is a violation of the plain language of the CFR. One can debate the merits of the policy, but the CFR is clear. If the CFR intended to prohibit ESA's on flights over 8 hours, it would have done so rather than made the requirements more rigorous.
Is dog training perfect ? What happens the one time the dog doesn't hold it for 12 hours as trained and defecates on the guy sitting in 23B ? Who's responsible, the dog, its owner, the airline ?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by thesaints
Is dog training perfect ? What happens the one time the dog doesn't hold it for 12 hours as trained and defecates on the guy sitting in 23B ? Who's responsible, the dog, its owner, the airline ?

Is this a thing that is happening? Or is this like the widespread voter fraud that's actually not a problem at all?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
A risk is a risk, even when the event does not take place, in the end.
I'd say the burden of proof should be with the pet owner stating that his/her dog is trained to hold it for 12 hours straight.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:25 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thesaints
A risk is a risk, even when the event does not take place, in the end.
I'd say the burden of proof should be with the pet owner stating that his/her dog is trained to hold it for 12 hours straight.
The question is not "burden of proof" or "what ifs", the question is "does a blanket ban of ESAs on flights over 8 hours comply with the plain language of the CFR?" It clearly does not because the CFR plainly contemplates ESAs on flights over 8 hours. And I do not have a dog in this race.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:27 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
It is inconceiveable that DL has not obtained at least an informal "no action" from DOT. Large public companies don't take these risks because they just lead to nasty enforcement orders and shareholder derivative lawsuits when the fines are issued.

So, not worth debating unless you really are privvy to DL's legal work.
Yes, because the DOT must be correct in interpreting its own CFR. We can't debate. We're not worthy of being literate and drawing our own conclusions.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Ari
Yes, because the DOT must be correct in interpreting its own CFR. We can't debate. We're not worthy of being literate and drawing our own conclusions.
Please read what I wrote.

You keep coming back to the question of whether it is a violation of DOT's rules.

What you are missing is that DOT may well have and most likely has determined that it will not enforce the rule under the circumstances provided by DL. It likely has told DL this. That is what a "no action" letter is all about.

It is also why debating something that isn't up for debate is irrational. Could be a violation. Could not be a violation. Doesn't matter to DL if it's not going to be enforced under the circumstances of DL's new policy.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by Ari
Delta says that their new policy is "consistent with the principles" of the ACAA. That's a nice way of saying it violates the plain language of the act, but they think they'll get away with it. Their blanket ban on 8 hours clearly violates the plain language of the act and would be struck down by a court.
arguable at best. Regardless this move is long overdue. No puppy of less than 4 months is adequately trained do much of anything wth control on an 8+ hour flight. Time to strike down a stupid law.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:49 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by RRDD
anthropomorphism - the attribution of human characteristics or behavior to a god, animal, or object.

Since when do animals use a “bathroom”? Animals defecate and urinate where they are trained to. Few are trained to use a “bathroom”.
Hall of Rants: Whats the Most Random and Pathetic Thing You Can Complain About?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:18 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Please read what I wrote.

You keep coming back to the question of whether it is a violation of DOT's rules.

What you are missing is that DOT may well have and most likely has determined that it will not enforce the rule under the circumstances provided by DL. It likely has told DL this. That is what a "no action" letter is all about.

It is also why debating something that isn't up for debate is irrational. Could be a violation. Could not be a violation. Doesn't matter to DL if it's not going to be enforced under the circumstances of DL's new policy.
I did read what you wrote. What is "worth" debating is now up for debate.

Seriously, a few things. First, is there a private right of action under the ACAA? (Can an individual directly sue DL notwithstanding what the DOT says about their own regulations?) Second, can't an individual sue the DOT to enforce their own CFR in a way that isn't arbitrary and capricious-- i.e. make the DOT comply with the plain language of the CFR and not what people wish the CFR said?

Again, I have no dog in this race and am not in favor of puppies peeing on planes. I just don't think this complies with the CFR.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:24 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Collierkr
arguable at best. Regardless this move is long overdue. No puppy of less than 4 months is adequately trained do much of anything wth control on an 8+ hour flight. Time to strike down a stupid law.
Which is it-- "arguable at best", or "a law that needs to be struck down"? This post contradicts itself. The opinion expressed in your post is well noted. The legal view expressed in your post is contradictory . . . at best.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by Ari
Sure, If the dog has been trained to hold it for 12 hours at home and fluid and food intake was managed before the flight then I don't see the issue. My dog (not an emotional support animal) used to tire himself out on long walks (runs) and sleep for like 10-12 hours straight right after. I'm sure I could have trained him to hold it for 12 hours if I tried. If service animals can be trained to hold it for 12 hours, so can ESA's. It is a violation of the plain language of the CFR. One can debate the merits of the policy, but the CFR is clear. If the CFR intended to prohibit ESA's on flights over 8 hours, it would have done so rather than made the requirements more rigorous.
unfortunately ESAs require no training, resulting in Their owners not training them to do much of anything. This is a classic case of over extending law written too generically.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.