Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Bans Puppies and Kittens as Service/Support Animals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Bans Puppies and Kittens as Service/Support Animals

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Delta Tupperware Medallion, National EE
Originally Posted by DCP2016
Can I bring my support bottle of rum?
As long as it's less than 3 ounces.
KDCAflyer likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
That's not a very cuddly box. I would prefer one of gargoyle's chickens, either with or without a name.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by eric_o
There is a medical exemption for liquids if you can really justify their use- my contact lens solution bottle is something like 4 ounces and makes it through USA screening because of that.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
You all do bring up a good point about size. At some point, a dog will be too big to sit in the space between the seat (where passenger legs are supposed to go). Then what? Do true service animals have a size restriction?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Paplover
The other issue is Delta no longer takes animals as checked luggage, only as cargo. So if you have a dog that is too large to fit under the seat, you are in a real bind if you want to fly with it. This is also a component of the abuse of ESA, if you have a midsize or larger dog, there is no other option for traveling with it.
?Why not send the dog cargo? Or drive? But then again, I am used to Asian countries' laws on animals on aircraft - which in the main is that they aren't allowed in the cabin, only in the hold.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by navi_jen
You all do bring up a good point about size. At some point, a dog will be too big to sit in the space between the seat (where passenger legs are supposed to go). Then what? Do true service animals have a size restriction?

A pax and their animal are not allowed to take up more than the space that is their seat and the floor space in-front of them. A pax could buy two seats.

Also, can we *please* remember that there is such a thing as a legitimate need for an ESA, and that some people have real prescriptions written for them by real professionals? I fully understand that this is abused by some pax, but it's also so important to remember that there are people who have gotten real help with real mental illness from having an ESA. People on FT tend to make a lot of fun out of the whole concept, and I think people forget that this means they are making fun of people who actually suffer from real issues. A common example is folks saying that a service animal for a physical disability is OK, but not an ESA, but this suggests that mental illness is somehow less "real" than a physical disability.
pvn and Zorak like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:13 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
but this suggests that mental illness is somehow less "real" than a physical disability.
these people are not just suggesting that, they absolutely believe it.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:46 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A Great Dane would make me feel very secure except on an airplane.
Big and usually sweet but not brilliant.

It would need to curl up pretty good.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by eric_o
And only if the FA Serves it to you.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
A pax and their animal are not allowed to take up more than the space that is their seat and the floor space in-front of them. A pax could buy two seats.

Also, can we *please* remember that there is such a thing as a legitimate need for an ESA, and that some people have real prescriptions written for them by real professionals? I fully understand that this is abused by some pax, but it's also so important to remember that there are people who have gotten real help with real mental illness from having an ESA. People on FT tend to make a lot of fun out of the whole concept, and I think people forget that this means they are making fun of people who actually suffer from real issues. A common example is folks saying that a service animal for a physical disability is OK, but not an ESA, but this suggests that mental illness is somehow less "real" than a physical disability.
JDR, thank you for being brave enough to say this.

I will admit it, I have a diagnosed mental illness, which has been treated by medical professionals aligned with the top clinical hospital in the country. And in 2 months (since I brought home my puppy) I have established more structure in my personal life and completed more day to day tasks than in the last year. Combined.

Mental illness is real. And some folks struggling with this population of diseases really do see a true benefit (more than just waggy tails and slobbery kisses) from an ESA. Can we quantify that tail wag #4 made be upbeat enough to clean out the dishwasher? No. Or being able to specifically link that my dog's jaunty prance down a sidewalk caused my brain to stop my negative internal dialogue that I look like an idiot for being an overweight, middle aged single woman (who also happens to hold down a pretty darn high profile/in demand job)? No. But this little guy has helped me tremendously. And I want to be able to travel with him so that I don't spent 1/2 my vacation not getting out of bed. And my medical professional agrees.

There, I said it. Flamesuit donned.
jdrtravel and pvn like this.

Last edited by navi_jen; Dec 20, 2018 at 6:34 pm
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
Navi_Jen, as one who has paid to transport small dogs underseat in cabin I recognize that true ESA and Service animals, like yours, provide a valuable service and some accommodation for them is reasonable and should be made. The problem is that documentation/justification for them under the current rules is so loose that anyone can pass their untrained pet off as one for a small fee online which makes all animals on the plane suspect in the eyes of the traveling public. The challenge is to find a set of rules/procedures which effectively block the frauds and still allows the legitimate animals access to the plane. While I desire a practical solution to this problem, I don't know what the magic bullet should be.
Newman55 and altabello like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Paplover
Navi_Jen, as one who has paid to transport small dogs underseat in cabin I recognize that true ESA and Service animals, like yours, provide a valuable service and some accommodation for them is reasonable and should be made. The problem is that documentation/justification for them under the current rules is so loose that anyone can pass their untrained pet off as one for a small fee online which makes all animals on the plane suspect in the eyes of the traveling public. The challenge is to find a set of rules/procedures which effectively block the frauds and still allows the legitimate animals access to the plane. While I desire a practical solution to this problem, I don't know what the magic bullet should be.
Thank you Pap. I think Delta and JetBlue have started down the right path. I had to submit both a medical form (signed by my professional with their provider number and contact info) a vet form (showing shots and contact info) and a form verifying my dog is basically well behaved. The problem is the behavior form is self reporting and that folks could fraudulently complete the HCP form. I think they could improve the following:

1. All animals must be microchipped and I provide the microchip #
2. Animals should be required to pass at least a basic level of training with a registered agency (Service dog light if you will..to show they can follow basic commands in noisy situations). That form (completed by the agency) must be sent that to the airline
3. The airlines close the loop and validate the info with provider, vet and trainer. My DL personal record has a checkbox that my paperwork is in order.
4. When I check in, my animal's microchip is scanned.
5. When 3 and 4 are executed , only then am I and my ESA cleared to fly for that flight (to prevent out of date certs and that I don't switch my trained animal for a monster or my neighbor's pet)
6. Everything has to be updated 1x a year (both Delta and Jetblue require that)

And I thought long and hard about registering my little guy as an ESA because I didn't want to abuse the system (and I know what pets do to my BIL's respiratory system). But I decided to take the plunge and hope that I don't get too flamed (on here, the plane or the airport).
MSPeconomist and altabello like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL
2. Animals should be required to pass at least a basic level of training with a registered agency (Service dog light if you will..to show they can follow basic commands in noisy situations). That form (completed by the agency) must be sent that to the airline
Thank you for speaking up as a reasonable owner of an ESA. If every ESA owner would follow these basic suggestions (rules to be?), there would be lot less incidents. Not every ESA is trained to the level of a true service animal, nor does it have to be. It only needs to be trained to behave enough to not disrupt the flight (stays in the owner's space, remains quiet, doesn't bite, lick or jump on people/other animals, won't urinate/defecate, etc.). These are behaviors that I would require my pet to have before considering my pet as a possible ESA, should the need arise. Bringing my super-smart, highly trained in areas other then flying, very energetic & lovable Border Collie on board would cause me, and I'm sure fellow passengers, a lot of emotional discomfort. However, a flyer with true need for an ESA would be happy to jump through all the hoops you've suggested! I also can't see how an animal other then a dog can be trained enough to behave at an appropriate level.
navi_jen likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by altabello
Thank you for speaking up as a reasonable owner of an ESA. If every ESA owner would follow these basic suggestions (rules to be?), there would be lot less incidents. Not every ESA is trained to the level of a true service animal, nor does it have to be. It only needs to be trained to behave enough to not disrupt the flight (stays in the owner's space, remains quiet, doesn't bite, lick or jump on people/other animals, won't urinate/defecate, etc.). These are behaviors that I would require my pet to have before considering my pet as a possible ESA, should the need arise. Bringing my super-smart, highly trained in areas other then flying, very energetic & lovable Border Collie on board would cause me, and I'm sure fellow passengers, a lot of emotional discomfort. However, a flyer with true need for an ESA would be happy to jump through all the hoops you've suggested! I also can't see how an animal other then a dog can be trained enough to behave at an appropriate level.
Although your dog could be helpful in wrangling those folks that are running late for a flight or cutting in the Starbucks line Come join us in the OMNI pet thread!

And thank you for understanding.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Delta Tupperware Medallion, National EE
Although your dog could be helpful in wrangling those folks that are running late for a flight or cutting in the Starbucks line Come join us in the OMNI pet thread!

And thank you for understanding.
Lol!!! I just had visions of gate lice having their heels nipped!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.