Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Bans Puppies and Kittens as Service/Support Animals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Bans Puppies and Kittens as Service/Support Animals

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Some owners of trained service dogs are concerned that the untrained fakes could attack their dogs and cause injury or even death. It's not just people who are at risk.

Has this happened? I mean, your seat mate could be an ax murderer and have paid off TSA to sneak in the ax and then murder you at 10,000 feet. There is an unlimited amount of bad things that could happen.

I understand the importance of risk mitigation, but I could think of a number of things that are probably more likely than Fluffy murdering Fido mid-flight.
pvn and CalebMCO like this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Has this happened? I mean, your seat mate could be an ax murderer and have paid off TSA to sneak in the ax and then murder you at 10,000 feet. There is an unlimited amount of bad things that could happen.

I understand the importance of risk mitigation, but I could think of a number of things that are probably more likely than Fluffy murdering Fido mid-flight.
I don't know that ESAs have attacked service animals, but there is at least one well-documented case in which a large dog flying as an ESA did attack a passenger, so it's not entirely unfounded fear.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't know whether it's happened, but I've heard people with very well trained service dogs express concern about this. Remember that it's a huge investment to train a seeing eye dog or similar and owners form very close bonds with these dogs as well as coming to rely on them for just about everything in day to day life. It would really impact someone's lifestyle if the service animal had to go to a vet hospital or be replaced.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:24 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know whether it's happened, but I've heard people with very well trained service dogs express concern about this. Remember that it's a huge investment to train a seeing eye dog or similar and owners form very close bonds with these dogs as well as coming to rely on them for just about everything in day to day life. It would really impact someone's lifestyle if the service animal had to go to a vet hospital or be replaced.
It would be a dreadful problem if it came to fruition, but my experience with ESA's dictates that most are little yappers that can't do too much damage. To quote someone famous: "The only thing fluffy is servicing is your ankle".
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Ari
It would be a dreadful problem if it came to fruition, but my experience with ESA's dictates that most are little yappers that can't do too much damage. To quote someone famous: "The only thing fluffy is servicing is your ankle".
Some of those little ratlike dogs have sharp teeth and can tend to bite people and other animals. Many little dogs think they're big dogs.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Just spotted an ESA Great Dane.

Really?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:14 pm

A Great Dane would make me feel very secure except on an airplane.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by WWads
Just spotted an ESA Great Dane.

Really?
not that we don't believe you, but a photo would do a lot to reduce the level of skepticism ...
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Some owners of trained service dogs are concerned that the untrained fakes could attack their dogs and cause injury or even death. It's not just people who are at risk.

Moreover, I'm sure DL is concerned about the safety of employees in the presence of so many untrained ESAs. It would be ugly to have a FA caught in the middle of a dog fight at 30,000 feet. [I wonder whether a FAM would shoot to kill if an "ESA" were attacking a human.]
It will likely take several ugly incidents to move the needle toward common sense restrictions on ESA's.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Popeye’s offers emotional support chicken....

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/popey...114702796.html
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by RRDD
Popeye’s offers emotional support chicken....

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/popey...114702796.html
To eat? (Comfort food?) Or to hold and pet?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:29 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Came here to post the same thing

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300767732.html

Grouchy likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jrl767
not that we don't believe you, but a photo would do a lot to reduce the level of skepticism ...
I tried but it was ATL and I couldn't get it. I might have gotten the breed wrong but it was of similar size. Way too big for what should reasonably be allowed on a plane IMO.

The harness had ESA is large print.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Dec 18, 2018 at 1:04 pm
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:24 pm

well done delta. all this support animal stuff is joke.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Can I bring my support bottle of rum?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.