Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Bans Puppies and Kittens as Service/Support Animals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Bans Puppies and Kittens as Service/Support Animals

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:00 pm

The changes make sense to me. I'll let the lawyers figure out the legal aspects.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Are service animals the same as emotional support ?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL DM-2MM, BA Gold, A3 Gold, AF Plat
A little levity from The Onion

https://www.theonion.com/delta-plane...lig-1831051745
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jfulcher
anc-atl
hnl-atl
These routes are available on DL with connections.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
49 posts and not one complaint about the outdated photo in the article the OP linked to?

The livery is not current.

I either missed it while scrolling through the thread or I am disappointed in you people.

EDIT: Even the Onion article someone linked to uses current livery. Not sure we can trust the source article.
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Is this a thing that is happening? Or is this like the widespread voter fraud that's actually not a problem at all?
"According to the airline, incidents involving service and support animals -- included urination, defecation, and biting -- increased 84% from 2016 to 2017. "

So yes, this is a thing that is happening, and it is a problem. And Delta is trying to address it.
Often1 and strickerj like this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Nolala
I flew with a ten week old puppy earlier this year, which was the then minimum. Moving it to four months will make getting a new puppy challenging. Will DL still accept puppies as cargo (not ideal, but still....)?
Presumably the Pet in Cabin age hasn't moved to 16 weeks.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The difference is that the new puppy parents will have to pay DL the pet fee rather than getting the fake ESA credentials on the internet. That sounds like good news to me.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
So pax will need to provide long form birth certificate of ESA?
I certainly hope so. That plus additional extremely burdensome requirements are long overdue.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
So pax will need to provide long form birth certificate of ESA?
I would become a passenger for life of any airline that had the guts to do as shown in the Onion article. Hilarious!
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:47 pm

Are you volunteering to get sucked out of the aircraft with those animals?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by thesaints
No, service animals have been trained to provide specific support such as guiding, doing tasks, or detecting health changes (e.g., an impending epileptic seizure). ESAs are not trained. The owner is supposed to provide a letter from a health professional stating his/her (the owner’s) emotional need for the animal. In fact, it is easy to get an ESA certificate on line.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Often1
It is inconceiveable that DL has not obtained at least an informal "no action" from DOT. Large public companies don't take these risks because they just lead to nasty enforcement orders and shareholder derivative lawsuits when the fines are issued.

So, not worth debating unless you really are privvy to DL's legal work.

More to the point, good to see DL putting the interest of paying passengers ahead of animals.
There would be a public document if that was the case. Regardless last ESA change DOT told them their changes likely violated the law and they must wait for DOT to change rules.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Delta Tupperware Medallion, National EE
Originally Posted by thesaints
No, they are not the same in function nor in the eyes of the law in the US. Cant speak about other countries that Delta services.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by eric_o
No, they are not the same in function nor in the eyes of the law in the US. Cant speak about other countries that Delta services.
This is true in relation to the ADA which doesn't apply to airlines. The version that does apply per rules adopted by DOT does make them equal. This is the problem .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.