Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Bans Puppies and Kittens as Service/Support Animals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Bans Puppies and Kittens as Service/Support Animals

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I don't know how DL will enforce an age minimum. There's just no way to prove this. There are not verifiable records of animal birth. I mean, a tiny puppy or kitten is pretty obvious, but it's not actually provable. My dog is very small--7 pounds, and people always ask if he is a puppy, even though he is 2.5 years old.
There are pretty firm standard guidelines for rabies vaccines in terms of age of the animal for safe use. And at least down here, the vets down here are careful with both sticking to those guidelines and then documenting them, since they have to interface with the county health department in order to have the dogs and cats they vaccinate get their proper rabies tags.

It's not a 100% perfect process, especially with a rescue kitten of unknown birth date, but earliest rabies vaccine date in close enough to be generally very reliable in terms of verifying a four month age.

The service animal guidelines also require a vet to certify that said trained service animal have a current rabies vaccine; I think this policy revision was to close a loophole about rabies vaccines, to young animals, and many previous best practices polices from the USDA and more that mandated the vaccine for animals in transit in other circumstances.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stormbandit
Good and sensible move. I hope other airlines follow suit.
+1000 Can't wait for all fake ESA to be gone.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by mnredfox
+1000 Can't wait for all fake ESA to be gone.

Considering that most ESA's are not tiny puppies, and that a significant amount of DL flights are under 8 hours (I think a great majority?), I don't see how this will have any impact on this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Ari
is there a private right of action under the ACAA? (Can an individual directly sue DL notwithstanding what the DOT says about their own regulations?).
No, the DOT can take action against a carrier not complying with 14CFR382, but private individuals cannot take action against a carrier for noncompliance.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by Ari
I just don't think this complies with the CFR.
Can you explain how? Please read from 14CFR382 directly:

§382.117 Must carriers permit passengers with a disability to travel with service animals?

(a) As a carrier, you must permit a service animal to accompany a passenger with a disability.

(1) You must not deny transportation to a service animal on the basis that its carriage may offend or annoy carrier personnel or persons traveling on the aircraft.

(2) On a flight segment scheduled to take 8 hours or more, you may, as a condition of permitting a service animal to travel in the cabin, require the passenger using the service animal to provide documentation that the animal will not need to relieve itself on the flight or that the animal can relieve itself in a way that does not create a health or sanitation issue on the flight.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Snowdevil

§382.117 Must carriers permit passengers with a disability to travel with service animals?

(a) As a carrier, you must permit a service animal to accompany a passenger with a disability.

(1) You must not deny transportation to a service animal on the basis that its carriage may offend or annoy carrier personnel or persons traveling on the aircraft.

(2) On a flight segment scheduled to take 8 hours or more, you may, as a condition of permitting a service animal to travel in the cabin, require the passenger using the service animal to provide documentation that the animal will not need to relieve itself on the flight or that the animal can relieve itself in a way that does not create a health or sanitation issue on the flight.

I don't see how a full ban on all ESA's on flights over 8 hours complies with this?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:31 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
How many people are taking ESAs on 8+ hour flights? It's got to be a tiny, tiny number. Bringing a pet into another country requires a ton of paperwork.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Ari
I did read what you wrote. What is "worth" debating is now up for debate.

Seriously, a few things. First, is there a private right of action under the ACAA? (Can an individual directly sue DL notwithstanding what the DOT says about their own regulations?) Second, can't an individual sue the DOT to enforce their own CFR in a way that isn't arbitrary and capricious-- i.e. make the DOT comply with the plain language of the CFR and not what people wish the CFR said?

Again, I have no dog in this race and am not in favor of puppies peeing on planes. I just don't think this complies with the CFR.
No. DOT may enforce. Private individuals may not. That is why "no action" from DOT is the end of the road.

No different than the DOT enforcement letter regarding "error fares." Airlines cancelling or requiring additional payments are clearly out of compliance with the DOT post-purchase rules. But, it does not matter because DOT has issued a letter advising that n the case of error fares, it will not enforce.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by pvn
How many people are taking ESAs on 8+ hour flights? It's got to be a tiny, tiny number. Bringing a pet into another country requires a ton of paperwork.

Agreed. And still, I don't understand how it complies. I don't ready any flexibility in that rule, it simply states that the airline can require that the pax has a way to manage the ESA relieving itself in a sanitary way. Frankly this would not be that hard to do if the dog were trained properly to go on a pee pad. You could just bring the dog in the lav and have the dog use the pee pad and then clean up after it. This is probably going to sound gross to people, but I imagine that much grosser things happen in those lavs than this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:50 pm

I flew with a ten week old puppy earlier this year, which was the then minimum. Moving it to four months will make getting a new puppy challenging. Will DL still accept puppies as cargo (not ideal, but still....)?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Is this a thing that is happening? Or is this like the widespread voter fraud that's actually not a problem at all?
Do either need to be widespread to be a problem? If we could fix just one....
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:28 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by pvn
how many people are taking esas on 8+ hour flights? It's got to be a tiny, tiny number. Bringing a pet into another country requires a ton of paperwork.
anc-atl
hnl-atl
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:42 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
No. DOT may enforce. Private individuals may not. That is why "no action" from DOT is the end of the road.

No different than the DOT enforcement letter regarding "error fares." Airlines cancelling or requiring additional payments are clearly out of compliance with the DOT post-purchase rules. But, it does not matter because DOT has issued a letter advising that n the case of error fares, it will not enforce.
You didn't answer my "second" part . . .
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:44 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jfulcher
anc-atl
hnl-atl
Bringing a dog to HNL from the mainland is about as annoying as bringing one to another country.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:54 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Snowdevil

Very simple: the CFR contemplates service animals on flights over 8 hours. A blanket ban does not contemplate service animals on flights over 8 hours. If the DOT chooses to ignore the plain language of its own regulation, let someone who cares sue the DOT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.