Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL upgrade to Delta One and KLM upgrade to business as Gold Medallion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:15 am
Original Poster

New to this forum! Please pardon if I had missed something before writing this post.
I was offered Gold Medallion couple of months back. I also have a Delta AMEX Reserve Card.
On Friday, I will be flying first time with the status. I booked a DL ticketed & (DL(330-300) for first leg + KLM(787-9) second leg) operated transatlantic flight with H class fare.
I am able to select complimentary upgrade for C+ and it say "Delta One® Not Upgrade Eligible". Does this mean I will not be upgraded to Delta One at all if there are seats available when I am next in upgrade queue ?
Current numbers in upgrade list & standby list in Delta app : Upgrade List : Delta One 5, C+ : 2 and standby : 35.

How about KLM ?
Do I have any chance to be upgraded to World business being Elite+ ?
EDIT: I am already in Economy Comfort if that matters.

Last edited by vp08; Dec 10, 2018 at 10:24 am
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by vp08
New to this forum! Please pardon if I had missed something before writing this post.
I was offered Gold Medallion couple of months back. I also have a Delta AMEX Reserve Card.
On Friday, I will be flying first time with the status. I booked a DL ticketed & (DL(330-300) for first leg + KLM(787-9) second leg) operated transatlantic flight with H class fare.
I am able to select complimentary upgrade for C+ and it say "Delta One® Not Upgrade Eligible". Does this mean I will not be upgraded to Delta One at all if there are seats available when I am next in upgrade queue ?
Current numbers in upgrade list & standby list in Delta app : Upgrade List : Delta One 5, C+ : 2 and standby : 35.

How about KLM ?
Do I have any chance to be upgraded to World business being Elite+ ?
EDIT: I am already in Economy Comfort if that matters.
Welcome to FT! Unfortunately, complimentary UGs to D1 do not extend to intercontinental flights on KL or DL (or most airlines as far as I know), even if you have elite status. Occasionally, when the flight is oversold in Y, pax are UG based on status. Even those moments are rare.

If you wish to UG to J, your only options are (1) buy up to J, (2) redeem miles for award upgrade, or (3) hope for an operational upgrade due to an oversold situation.

Hope this helps!
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FlyerTalk. I also suggest you read/explore Getting to Know Medallion Status at Delta.com.
Specifically, this page on Medallion Upgrades makes it rather clear what is and isn't eligible for complimentary upgrades in a nice handy chart, with lots of footnotes and explanatory notes!
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Neither DL nor any carrier I am aware of offers freebie UG's to its elites on international flights. The limited exceptions do not apply to transatlantic.

Don't get confused by wandering into the world of operational upgrades which are granted for the convenience of the carrier. Those are also done by almost all carriers, but they are not used to fill empty seats and are not necessarily based on status order.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys for your replies!
I was wondering what did the upgrade list mean when D1 upgrade wasn't complimentary ? Does it mean paid upgrade availability ?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Just to further clarify, your chances of any type of free upgrade to Delta One or KLM World Business Class on an international flight are extremely low as a gold. If they have oversold coach, they may give a few free upgrades to make room for everyone, but those will almost always go to the highest level elites (Diamond and maybe Platinum) flying on the most expensive coach tickets. They will prefer to let these fly empty rather than upgrading someone for free.

The unlimited free medallion upgrade program is only available on flights within North America.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was wondering what did the upgrade list mean when D1 upgrade wasn't complimentary ? Does it mean paid upgrade availability ?
People using upgrade instruments like miles or global upgrade certificates (which Diamond medallions can select as a benefit).
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LBJ
People using upgrade instruments like miles or global upgrade certificates (which Diamond medallions can select as a benefit).
I think non-revs (employees and their travel companions) would also show on DeltaOne upgrade standby lists, right?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I think non-revs (employees and their travel companions) would also show on DeltaOne upgrade standby lists, right?

No. They might show up as standby, but not on an upgrade waitlist. Nonrevs standy for any available seat. They can be seated in a D1 seat if it is open, but it's not an upgrade per se.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.