Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is this space for?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:20 am
Original Poster

What is this space for?

I often fly domestic first class in Delta, often in seat 1A, which is a bulkhead seat. So they want even small carry-on it stored overhead. I travel with a tiny laptop PC (the size of a tablet) with a tiny computer case. It easily fits snugly between the armrest and side of the airplane with no part sticking out above it or in front or back.. But they insisted that nothing can go in that spot, claiming Delta AND FAArules. Is that true or was the FA just being petty and officious?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:41 am

Unless the space has a way to secure the device in some fashion (like the covered bins on some 747 upper deck seats), it isn't for storing laptops. If this "tiny" PC is really no bigger or heavier than a standard iPad-style tablet and looks that way, then it might be okay to hold in your hand (but not to put in a seatback pocket, which isn't certified to keep such items secure). Otherwise, under the seat or in the overhead are the only options.

The idea is not to have unsecured hard, heavy, sharp objects flying around the cabin if something happens (like the Southwest overrun)
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:21 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I'll move this to the Delta thread.

chgoeditor
co-mod, Info Desk
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by inet32
.... But they insisted that nothing can go in that spot, claiming Delta AND FAArules. Is that true or was the FA just being petty and officious?.....
Imagine the chaos if there were several exceptions to every rule concerning carryon bags, seating arrangement, seat belt usage, tray table usage, etc, etc. Sometimes it’s best that rules be simple and easy to follow.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:03 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
In practice, if it has a (non-detachable) keyboard and folds up, they're going to make you stow it. If it's a tablet, you can keep it.

if it's REALLY "tablet sized" then you can probably put it in the magazine pocket and nobody will say anything.

FWIW, some people have been known to just put their regular laptops behind their backs (i.e. standing vertically between their back and the seat) during taxi so they don't have to get up to get them after takeoff. I would not advise this but apparently some people who will remain nameless have done it.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I often fly domestic first class in Delta, often in seat 1A, which is a bulkhead seat. So they want even small carry-on it stored overhead. I travel with a tiny laptop PC (the size of a tablet) with a tiny computer case. It easily fits snugly between the armrest and side of the airplane with no part sticking out above it or in front or back.. But they insisted that nothing can go in that spot, claiming Delta AND FAArules. Is that true or was the FA just being petty and officious?

Thanks in advance.
Yes, this is true. The reason is that, if your laptop became dislodged, it could fly backwards through the open space and injure the passenger in 2A.

The only times flight attendants seem to occasionally permit in that space are pillows and blankets, and I assume that’s because even at speed they are unlikely to injure another passenger. But even those could impede evacuation in an emergency, so they’re technically not allowed either.

Having lost many an item I optimistically stowed here inflight to the row behind - I can attest there’s a good reason this mysterious chasm isn’t to be used for anything.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It doesn't matter how small or how light you think it is. Either it is properly secured in an OH or, if small enough, held in your hands.

That is DL's safety & security policy, it is filed with the FAA and the failure to follow it is punishable by FAA with a fine of up to $11,000 (against both DL and the passenger).

If you want to see if you can stuff it in the magazine pocket (if there is one) or the seatback if you aren't in an exit row and it comes flying out in heavy turbulence, just hope it doesn't hit someone.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:22 pm

What is this space for?
Short answer: Not for stowing, even if it is convenient to you.

Long answer: I'm sure you could find several nooks and crannies on an airplane where you could put stuff, but its not done. Why? Common sense / courtesy / some important reason that's not immediately apparent to one. If the manufacturer could have safely made an empty space available for stowage, they would have, don't you think?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Just put it behind your back and no need to worry about this space and that space.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I'm going to give the FAA answer, do some clean-up in this thread, and shut it down before things go sideways.

2/22/18

8900.1 CHG 578VOLUME 3 GENERAL TECHNICAL ADMINISTRATION

CHAPTER 33 CABIN SAFETY AND FLIGHT ATTENDANT MANAGEMENT

Section 6 Safety Assurance System: Operations—Cabin Safety

D. Stowage of Items in Seat Pockets. Seat pockets have been designed to restrain approximately 3 pounds of weight and not the weight of additional carry-on items. Seat pockets are not listed in the regulation as an approved stowage location for carry-on baggage. If a seat pocket fails to restrain its contents, the contents of the seat pocket may impede emergency evacuation or may strike and injure a passenger. If small, lightweight items, such as eyeglasses or a cell phone, can be placed in the seat pocket without exceeding the total designed weight limitation of the seat pocket or so that the seat pocket does not block anyone from evacuating the row of seats, it may be safe to do so.

http://fsims.faa.gov/WDocs/8900.1/V0...03_033_006.htm

3Cforme - Delta Forum Moderator
bonoman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.