Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Shedding Dish Network Channels?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Silver), AAdvantage, Sun Country, FmrUS Airways Dividend Miles, Northwest WorldPerks
Delta Shedding Dish Network Channels?

I flew CMH-ATL-DAB last week on 739s and, apart from the satellite TV service just plain not working on the first segment (which I've become accustomed to at least a few channels not working at this point, but not the whole thing), I noticed there were only 12 channels instead of 18 which could be chosen from. The same thing happened when I pulled up the BYOD portal on my phone (I was looking for a documentary I'd wanted to finish and it wasn't there, at which point I found you could watch satellite TV on BYOD now as well.)

Is DL whittling down the channel list or is this temporary?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by JSprague24
I flew CMH-ATL-DAB last week on 739s and, apart from the satellite TV service just plain not working on the first segment (which I've become accustomed to at least a few channels not working at this point, but not the whole thing), I noticed there were only 12 channels instead of 18 which could be chosen from. The same thing happened when I pulled up the BYOD portal on my phone (I was looking for a documentary I'd wanted to finish and it wasn't there, at which point I found you could watch satellite TV on BYOD now as well.)

Is DL whittling down the channel list or is this temporary?
I noticed this too. I could have sworn they used to have TNT/TBS. Perhaps there is some kind of contract dispute.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:36 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
You are correct in the last 6-12 months DL has shed over 50% of the channels availabke
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I think this may put them at a slight competitive disadvantage. I recently flew UA for the first time in like forever. I wasn't all that impressed but I did like their selection of channels....granted it wasn't free.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles -- Gold Medallion
Yikes, what's available now? Losing Bravo with a big blow for me -- perfect mindless TV.
btonkid12345 and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Even when it works Fox News and CNN regularly cut out.
yohanson likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL Plat
This is the difference between channels delivered via an actual Dish satellite on top of the plane (more channels), versus being delivered over a stream via GoGo 2Ku (fewer channels). All Airbus use the later and have fewer options, perhaps they are going to begin switching over the Boeings? Especially since many already have 2Ku.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Currently on a 739 with 2KU and only 12 channels.

Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Silver), AAdvantage, Sun Country, FmrUS Airways Dividend Miles, Northwest WorldPerks
It's amazing that, back in the Song days, they had 24 channels. I distinctly remember watching BBC America the one time I got to fly Song.

Originally Posted by JordanV
Yikes, what's available now? Losing Bravo with a big blow for me -- perfect mindless TV.
CBS, NBC, FOX (New York affiliates; I was trying to watch football in my example and got SNF on the second flight, but no FOX late game on the first), CNN, FOX News, NFL Network, Telemundo, Cartoon Network are the ones I think I remember seeing off hand. I would imagine USA was probably still there given its ties to NBCUniversal.

My concern is that they'll eventually dump it altogether, which would be disappointing as I really do appreciate DL sticking with AVOD as opposed to the BYOD trend AA and UA have gone toward.

Originally Posted by live5
This is the difference between channels delivered via an actual Dish satellite on top of the plane (more channels), versus being delivered over a stream via GoGo 2Ku (fewer channels). All Airbus use the later and have fewer options, perhaps they are going to begin switching over the Boeings? Especially since many already have 2Ku.
The majority of the Sat TV-equipped planes I spend time on are 739s and 757s, as much of my travel during the year is plowing between CMH and DAB, so I don't see the Airbus metal much, but I was on an A320 MSP-CMH a little over a year ago and it had no SatTV at all.

That said, I was on N673DL last September (one of the 757s spared from retirement) DTW-LAS and it was modded, but had no Dish; I wanted to turn my brain off and watch WWE after having dealt with Irma the week before.
readywhenyouare likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Delta had been talking about IPTV (delivered over Gogo 2Ku) as an alternative to sat TV a while before it rolled out. Maybe they're waiting for Gogo to have further enhancements in bandwidth. Maybe they're offering higher resolution vs. the old 24-channel Song aircraft. I don't watch enough aircraft TV to recognize channels were gone.

https://news.delta.com/delta-expand-...e-600-aircraft

Last edited by 3Cforme; Dec 10, 2018 at 8:02 pm
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
TIL Delta has satellite TV on its planes.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:01 pm

I believe the reduction in channels is a bandwidth issue.

Something else I noticed fly Sunday watching NFL on a plane with the streaming DishTV (vs actual live tv) - the stream was around 90 seconds if not 2 minutes behind real time. I know because I was streaming Sunday Ticket on my iPad and the TV was WAY behind.

So far with my experiences I'm pleased with the 2Ku TV streaming since the stand-alone live TV Dish worked maybe 30-40% of the time. I've told Delta for years what a waste of money that service was when you consider the aerodynamic penalty and such...
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:50 pm

I usually don’t even turn on my display anymore because it gets interrupted so much time as of late.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by n7371f
I believe the reduction in channels is a bandwidth issue.
I was guessing Delta wanted these TV stations to pay them to have their content available and they refused.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:07 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles -- Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by JSprague24
It's amazing that, back in the Song days, they had 24 channels. I distinctly remember watching BBC America the one time I got to fly Song.

CBS, NBC, FOX (New York affiliates; I was trying to watch football in my example and got SNF on the second flight, but no FOX late game on the first), CNN, FOX News, NFL Network, Telemundo, Cartoon Network are the ones I think I remember seeing off hand. I would imagine USA was probably still there given its ties to NBCUniversal.

Wow, and both ESPNs are gone too?

Since I can't yet post URLs, i thought the Dish lawsuit had something to do with it but guess not since Turner's CN and CNN are still on it. (Google this story b/c I still can't post URLs lol: "CNN's $100 Million Problem: Collecting Payment for People Watching on Airplanes")

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.