Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

$29 from Medallion status - Need advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:21 am
Original Poster

I'm $29 away from qualifying for Silver Medallion. I have a short flight tomorrow that's booked with a Basic Economy fare. Delta won't allow Comfort+ updates with Basic Economy, but they do offer to give me a seat assignment if I pay $29.00. Does anybody know if a payment for a seat assignment would count as Medallion $? If so that would be just what I need to put me over the top.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Orville
I'm $29 away from qualifying for Silver Medallion. I have a short flight tomorrow that's booked with a Basic Economy fare. Delta won't allow Comfort+ updates with Basic Economy, but they do offer to give me a seat assignment if I pay $29.00. Does anybody know if a payment for a seat assignment would count as Medallion $? If so that would be just what I need to put me over the top.
Preferred seat purchases are supposed to count towards MQD's according to the website. However, if the seat is just a regular non-preferred seat, it's not clear if that will count.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Flight credit is only given / posted after you fly — i.e. you’ll hit Silver once your flight is completed.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by TheHorta

Flight credit is only given / posted after you fly — i.e. you’ll hit Silver once your flight is completed.
I may be wrong but I think you missed the point. I think the OP will still be short $29 AFTER tomorrows flight.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by indufan
I may be wrong but I think you missed the point. I think the OP will still be short $29 AFTER tomorrows flight.
I think we need clarification from OP on this. He doesn't use future tense when referring to $29 shortage.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Okay, this might be useful to other people in the same situation. I was $29 short of hitting my Silver Medallion $ threshold. I purchased a $29 add-on to my Basic Economy ticket which got me an early seating assignment. Note that this was not a bump up to Economy Comfort, because that's not available for Basic Economy class. I flew the flight on Saturday and today I got the notice that I had made it to Silver with $1 to spare. So, the plan worked!
angra, pgh234, Hoyaheel and 5 others like this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Okay, this might be useful to other people in the same situation. I was $29 short of hitting my Silver Medallion $ threshold. I purchased a $29 add-on to my Basic Economy ticket which got me an early seating assignment. Note that this was not a bump up to Economy Comfort, because that's not available for Basic Economy class. I flew the flight on Saturday and today I got the notice that I had made it to Silver with $1 to spare. So, the plan worked!
Nice. I'd never want to cut it that close, but good job.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:04 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Are you $29 short counting the MQDs you're going to earn from tomorrow's flight or $29 short right now? Because the MQDs from tomorrow's flight haven't posted yet and won't post until you actually fly it.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Hitting the MQD requirement by one dollar is almost perfect. Congrats!
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by yohanson
Hitting the MQD requirement by one dollar is almost perfect. Congrats!
about the only way to make it better would be to hit the threshold on a 31 Dec flight
yohanson and NYC Flyer like this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: Delta PM, SPG, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Ambassador, CLEAR/Global Entry
Just did an overnight mileage run to MCO last weekend to keep my medallion status and was sweating a 200 MQM difference. This gives me hope for the next time, but man this was close! Well Done! ^
NYC Flyer likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by jrl767
about the only way to make it better would be to hit the threshold on a 31 Dec flight
Wouldn't it be better to hit it on January 1 so that you could effectively have 25 months of medallion status?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
Wouldn't it be better to hit it on January 1 so that you could effectively have 25 months of medallion status?
huh? only way that would work is if you’re rolling over a huge amount of MQMs
Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

There's also the MQD/AmEx sapend requirement, which would be hard to do in one day unless someone has the foreign address waiver.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM

Yeah, it isn't really possible. I guess the point I'm making is that it's better to earn the status closest to Jan 1 as opposed to Dec 31st.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.