Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL appears to have another BOS buildup coming

DL appears to have another BOS buildup coming

Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
BOS-ORD is great news. Slowly but surely I can finally ditch flying UA. A bit of a bummer that we have to wait almost a year for this route though. Seems awfully early to load the flight
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:27 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by WWads
Overall at DCA:

DCA-LGA: -2
DCA-CVG: -1
DCA-DTW: -1
DCA-ATL: -1
DCA-RDU: -1

DL must be all-in on this to consider touching ATL. Time will tell.
DCA-JFK stays the same then?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by rylan
Glad to see a BOS-ORD also, although that is a bit surprising.
Big surprise, horrible yields, I regularly get $40-$50 OW fares in the winter with WN(MDW)/UA/AA/B6 competing. The yields on this route are so bad if I was AA/UA I'd consider downgrading the 737/757 service to CR9/CR7 service.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by hi55us
Big surprise, horrible yields, I regularly get $40-$50 OW fares in the winter with WN(MDW)/UA/AA/B6 competing. The yields on this route are so bad if I was AA/UA I'd consider downgrading the 737/757 service to CR9/CR7 service.
Definitely not going to be a cash cow by any means, but Hauenstein's statement is pretty illustrative: "These new routes means that beginning next fall Delta will offer service to the five top business markets requested by our corporate customers,"

No doubt some big spending companies told DL BOS-ORD was table stakes for some of their continued business.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:02 pm

Knowing DL’s animosity toward the ME3 and knowing that B6 is a target at BOS, why wouldn’t DL start service to India from Logan and throw a monkey wrench at QR, EK, and B6 simultaneously?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SDQBound
DCA-JFK stays the same then?
Apparently so. DL must be getting some serious feed on this route. I'm seeing 5(!) flights a day DCA-JFK next fall.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by SFTNYC
I wonder if BOS-ORD/DCA will be marketed as Shuttle (only difference nowadays being pretty much free beer/wine in coach).
5' cut-off for boarding and the shuttle (95% of the time) using the gates on the building on the concourse side vs. the gates further out at BOS make a big difference. Plus shuttles tend to have more standardized times of departure (e.g., on the hour). Lastly I think corporate fares are structured differently too, I know my company gets us heavily discounted Y tickets for the BOS-LGA shuttle vs. "normal" refundable fares for other flights.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by SFTNYC
Ouch - this had already been cut from hourly, eliminating the 11am and 1pm southbound. I wonder which other 2 frequencies are going (though 6x daily for BOS suggests they're taking 2x from LGA and 4x from somewhere else). Lack of hourly on the shuttle makes it much less useful but DL already had pretty much exclusively E70s (rather than E75s), and my guess is Acela takes more traffic NYC-WAS than NYC-BOS (the train trip to WAS is almost a whole hour faster than to it is to BOS). I wonder if BOS-ORD/DCA will be marketed as Shuttle (only difference nowadays being pretty much free beer/wine in coach).
The West Coast Shuttle was eliminated last year and it looks like a very similar run-up for the East Coast shuttle. Limited gate space, horrible yields and frequency of flights slowly being reduced doomed it. With our experience, I would not be hoping for flights with shuttle branding, but hoping they don't eliminate the shuttle branding from existing flights.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:44 pm

LGA-BOS works because Amtrak has to share with Metro North, and the Acela is frequently delayed during rush hour as a result.

Between DC and NYC though, Amtrak doesn't have that issue, and the train beats flying in almost every situation. I'm surprised that the shuttle has held on this long. If the Hudson tunnels take a turn for the worse flying will make a resurgence but right now the Acela is king.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
LGA-BOS works because Amtrak has to share with Metro North, and the Acela is frequently delayed during rush hour as a result.
If Amtrak made its slots on time, they wouldn't get put in behind MNRR locals. On the other sections of the line, Amtrak regularly makes commuter trains wait for delayed Acelas. (When I commuted on NJ Transit for about 18 months, we were held for a late running Acela to pass probably once a week on average.)

But even putting that aside, the best case for NYP-BOS is about 3h30 due to the numerous curves, low speeds, and outdated infrastructure through much of the NEC from roughly New Rochelle to New London. That's just slow enough to be less competitive with flying for many trips.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:27 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Apparently so. DL must be getting some serious feed on this route. I'm seeing 5(!) flights a day DCA-JFK next fall.
Well it feeds many international flights. I was actually happy to see that the early morning DCA-JFK / late night JFK-DCA went mainline.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Never mind, found the answer.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Overall at DCA:

DCA-LGA: -2
DCA-CVG: -1
DCA-DTW: -1
DCA-ATL: -1
DCA-RDU: -1

DL must be all-in on this to consider touching ATL. Time will tell.
Looks like CVG-DCA goes all mainline to make up the loss of a frequency.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by SDQBound
Well it feeds many international flights. I was actually happy to see that the early morning DCA-JFK / late night JFK-DCA went mainline.
The market for avoiding Outpost IAD must be really strong. All things being equal (i.e. not being a DL loyalist) I would still strongly consider connecting ex-DCA to avoid having to schlepp out to Dulles and pay the parking fascists.

Me too. I'd much be on a mainline jet for those long taxi times, and those flights are less likely to be axed when things go south.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:43 am

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
From what I understand, that was supposed to be either an International Fire Class or dedicated Business Elite lounge for Delta, before Delta did away with those things. It would make sense that a growing Delta with more international flights from Boston could now use all of that space.
That was AIUI slated for a BusinessElite lounge (DL had already dropped 3-class international service when the plans were being drawn up), but by the time interior build-out happened they'd also dropped the dedicated lounges.

I'm glad the space finally has a future.
jrkmsp likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.