Wiki Posts
Search

Transatlantic business awards

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles Platinum, American Gold
Transatlantic business awards

Hello. So I get a few hundred thousand miles a year through credit card spending and always seem to have a ton of Skymiles. How do I find transatlantic awards in business on Delta or partners at the formerly standard rate of around 90,000 miles? Every time I look I see awards around 250,000 to 350,000 miles which seems to value a sky mile at about a cent.

I'm hoping someone here to help me figure out how to find lower cost award seats. If not then are Skymiles best used for transatlantic business seats as pay with miles?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
User LBJ has posted extensively on rules for lowest level TATL awards. Here's a recent relevant post.

189,000 MR rewards points should I transfer to Skymiles or use elsewhere?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
User LBJ has posted extensively on rules for lowest level TATL awards. Here's a recent relevant post.

189,000 MR rewards points should I transfer to Skymiles or use elsewhere?
There's some irony in my example above and one of OP's previous posts

April 2019 flights to CDG
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:23 pm

Now it's impossible to get reasonable business class TATL awards with 2 exceptions:
  • VS has some limited availability, but it's hard to use it anywhere beyond LHR (although connections to AF, KL and AZ can be done in LHR and previously to SU until SU got completely blocked).
  • Once in a while DL does award sales, which often get you pretty good deals with good availability, but you have to watch out for them.
​​​​​​I recently got SEA-ATL-FCO // CDG-SEA for 62K in business class outbound and Y return on preferred dates in 2019 during one of those sales. Full business was 98K round trip.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AntonS
Now it's impossible to get reasonable business class TATL awards with 2 exceptions:
  • VS has some limited availability, but it's hard to use it anywhere beyond LHR (although connections to AF, KL and AZ can be done in LHR and previously to SU until SU got completely blocked).
  • Once in a while DL does award sales, which often get you pretty good deals with good availability, but you have to watch out for them.
​​​​​​I recently got SEA-ATL-FCO // CDG-SEA for 62K in business class outbound and Y return on preferred dates in 2019 during one of those sales. Full business was 98K round trip.
Impossible is a pretty strong word and "reasonable" is entirely subjective. See my post above for J award calendar on IAD-CDG next Apr/May. I think most would agree those rates are "reasonable".
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If the OP is back to looking at awards for seven passengers at one time there is no hope for Business class travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.