Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Can FA’s or anyone else do anything about an insanely loud snorer (red-eye)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can FA’s or anyone else do anything about an insanely loud snorer (red-eye)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:57 am

I have found that if you fold up a Delta blanket until it’s a thick pad that fits about in your hand, and hold it over the offenders nose and mouth for seven to ten minutes, the sound ceases.

Worked beautifully on my first husband - second, too, now that I think of it.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Oakshadow

The goal of this post was to get you angry and upset. I succeeded..

But in all honesty, if a FA woke me up because I was keeping 10 or 20 people around me awake, I’d be thankful because I’ve become aware of a problem which is probably indicative of a more serious pulmonary issue not to mention my condition is very disruptive to others on public transport.
I doubt it.. The fact that you started this thread all about how much this bothered you pretty much says "it's all about me" . So you would probably have started a thread titled "How dare the FA wake me up".

I come on here every day just to smile at the volume of "complaints" about nothing that get posted
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
FWIW, I know that I snore at home, and I have zero problem with OPs post. If it really was "all about me" we'd be seeing a demand that FA do something, or OP complaining about being restrained after shaking the offender awake. If I'm ever snoring on an airplane loudly enough to prevent other people from sleeping, I hope someone would just wake me up and tell me.
CO-PLAT and jdrtravel like this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by angra
If I'm ever snoring on an airplane loudly enough to prevent other people from sleeping, I hope someone would just wake me up and tell me.
Then what? Force yourself to stay awake and let everyone else sleep?

Another passenger who wakes me because my snoring isn't allowing them to sleep would be mistaken to conclude that he/she would then be free to go to sleep and expect me to stay awake while they do.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:57 am

Always be prepared for what is a foreseeable issue, and this is a foreseeable issue. I have a cheap $10 pair of earbuds with a rubber gasket that do a pretty good job of drowning out any unwanted noise when combined with music playing on a low volume. I also travel with cheap earplugs just in case. Others' snoring on planes never has bothered me since it mixes in with jet and wind noise, but others' loud music is very annoying to me. Had a guy 4-5 rows behind me on a flight last week who had his earbuds cranked up so loud I could hear his music. Hope he enjoys his music now, since in a few years, he will be too deaf to hear it.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by Badenoch

Another passenger who wakes me because my snoring isn't allowing them to sleep would be mistaken to conclude that he/she would then be free to go to sleep and expect me to stay awake while they do.
Sure - I'm not judging you or your position. Just expressing another position and view that the OP is not a horrible and evil question to ask.

I agree that it is potentially problematic to lay hands on another passenger in this scenario, and if I felt compelled to request someone wake up, I would probably ask a FA to do so. But, if I was snoring so loudly that other passengers were disturbed from quiet enjoyment, I probably would try to stay awake, if I wasn't able to find a sleeping position that cut the snoring (usually I am). As to whether I would be required to do so, I guess that would be up to the FA. FAs wake people up sometimes for various reasons, it happens. Maybe instead of "wake me for breakfast" cards we need "feel free to wake me if I happen to snore so loudly that my neighbors can't sleep" cards.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Badenoch

Quite honestly, if I knew I was liable to start snoring loudly and be disruptive to other passengers, I would make every attempt to avoid booking a red-eye flight except when there were no alternatives (such as trans-oceanic flights). And yes, in those cases, I would probably try not to fall asleep, or try to sleep in a position where I wouldn't snore.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by third_wave
Quite honestly, if I knew I was liable to start snoring loudly and be disruptive to other passengers, I would make every attempt to avoid booking a red-eye flight except when there were no alternatives (such as trans-oceanic flights). And yes, in those cases, I would probably try not to fall asleep, or try to sleep in a position where I wouldn't snore.
Inconveniencing oneself for the benefit of complete strangers is not common. But it's very commendable that you will. I want to fly with you!

But you probably don't want to fly with me.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
As they do in so many other aspects of life, The Three Stooges have a solution:

Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM+, SPG Plat
I snore much louder than most and try not to take red eyes or fall asleep on planes when I can avoid it. I always advise my seatmate to please wake me if I snore. It's embarrassing and I do my best not to disturb others. I have tried every solution with minimal success. Best I can do is put my face into a sweatshirt and pillow and hope someone wakes me if I am bothering them.
HDQDD likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: QF
If I was snoring loudly I would be ok if someone woke me - although I do think anyone worried about this should be carrying ear-plugs
On another note - I have Bose noise-cancelling headphones and I agree with the others that say the snore wouldnt be blocked.
I havent seen it mentioned yet but Etymotic headphones are amazing for blocking out everything - I currently have their earplugs which are pretty good - but the headphones with a little bit of any music/podcast whatever and you cant hear anything
HDQDD likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:52 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by expert7700
Loud snorers on planes make me wish I had a squirt gun (water gun) in my bag

If seated next to me i keep nudging them on the armrest and turn my light on, sometimes aimed a bit away from me. or get up to the lav repeatedly. If i am not getting sleep I go out of my way to make sure they won't either.
You are traveling in public. What if the person behind you was talking the whole time? Would you complain? There are ways to deal with this. If you guys don't like it fly private!
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
Isn't this one of the reasons for noise cancelation headphones? any experienced traveler should have some
That being said, I was on a SEA-JFK redeye once, seated in F, and typically sleep well with 2 beers, 2 Midnite tablets, eye shades, and noise cancelling headphones. I was sleeping well until someone in front me of me farted so loudly it woke me, which is shocking in its own right with all the noise on a plane.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
I had it happen once, I asked the flight attendant to stuff a pillow over the snorers face. She refused since I had a basic economy ticket and in basic economy we don't get pillows.
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by dmarge18
That being said, I was on a SEA-JFK redeye once, seated in F, and typically sleep well with 2 beers, 2 Midnite tablets, eye shades, and noise cancelling headphones. I was sleeping well until someone in front me of me farted so loudly it woke me, which is shocking in its own right with all the noise on a plane.
At least the noise woke you up and not the smell.
dmarge18 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.