Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate Check a Bag...Board with Zone 1

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Gate Check a Bag...Board with Zone 1

MSP-ATL this morning. GAs we're offering Zone 1 boarding for those who would gate check their bags. Is this something new?
Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
They recently started to do this regularly and it makes me laugh. Why would you want to board earlier if you don't have to worry about a bag? I guess maybe to put your smaller bag in the overhead bin?
Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: LH, DL
I have heard the zone 1 offer for those gate checking bags intermittently before, but don’t recall what airports
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:25 am

Just an innovative incentive to get enough bags checked. Since they won’t or shouldn’t be using the overhead bins, it wouldn’t affect later zones’ bin space.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Widgets
Just an innovative incentive to get enough bags checked. Since they won’t or shouldn’t be using the overhead bins, it wouldn’t affect later zones’ bin space.
Could. Maybe they’ll put their personal item up instead (and I wouldn’t fault them for it), which then does impact later zones or even others in Zone 1 as given the size of SkyPriorty and Zone 1 on some routes, bins can be full before Zone 1 is finished.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I've heard it a few times. At first I thought it odd, but it's a little bribe (the Zone 1 boarding) that has no cash cost to Delta. It's a lot more gentle manner of getting a few people to check bags and preserve on-time departure than is United's Basic Economy policy that prohibits a carry-on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.