Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

VDB-ed but Full Gate Agent Offer Not Honored - What to do now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VDB-ed but Full Gate Agent Offer Not Honored - What to do now?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The moral to this story is that the gate agents were correct when they told btonkid that the people on the DM line had "magical powers." 'Cause they made it happen!
Old Dec 9, 2018, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Definitely sounds like having it put in writing is crucial going forward to protect ones self.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
The RM DOD Desk may be the single most customer-unfriendly/hating department within DL.
Indeed it is.

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
nobody is above Revenue Management." Just bad.
Sadly this seems to be true.

Originally Posted by Widgets
The RM DOD desk is staffed 24/7.
Mr. Woolman would be ashamed.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by DiverDave
Indeed it is.

Sadly this seems to be true.

Mr. Woolman would be ashamed.
I don’t think it’s as doom and gloom as it seems. It’s possible that RM just had a problem with how the upgrade was reissued. Like I mentioned earlier, if the GA had priced the desired upgrade, issued the voucher with the upgrade cost added on top, then sold the upgrade and handed the OP the remaining $2k, I doubt anyone would have a problem—the upgrade would be accounted for in the VDB amount, and the OP would get the extra benefits of a higher paid ticket.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Like I mentioned earlier, if the GA had priced the desired upgrade, issued the voucher with the upgrade cost added on top, then sold the upgrade and handed the OP the remaining $2k, I doubt anyone would have a problem—the upgrade would be accounted for in the VDB amount, and the OP would get the extra benefits of a higher paid ticket.
Is it actually a policy to handle a vdb upgrade this way?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Is it actually a policy to handle a vdb upgrade this way?
I’m not here to talk about a policy unless it’s posted on delta.com.

But wouldn’t that process benefit everyone involved, including the passenger? A free upgrade wouldn’t net any extra miles, but selling an upgrade with a bigger voucher should, and the useable value remaining is effectively unchanged.

If I were negotiating for an upgrade with VDB, I’d ask for it to be processed that way so I could get extra miles, and I’d be confident that my “paid” upgrade wouldn’t get taken away.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:33 pm

But wouldn’t that process benefit everyone involved, including the passenger? A free upgrade wouldn’t net any extra miles, but selling an upgrade with a bigger voucher should, and the useable value remaining is effectively unchanged.

If I were negotiating for an upgrade with VDB, I’d ask for it to be processed that way so I could get extra miles, and I’d be confident that my “paid” upgrade wouldn’t get taken away.

So it's not a policy.

Considering that your original concern was accounting being thrown off, this solution would only make that worse.

I certainly don't think DL wants to start handing out the extra RDM's and MQM's that a customer would get if the J tickets were sold as a walkup. I imagine that to sell it this way that a GA would have to be handing out $5K-$10K vdb credits.

Furthermore, what happens if the new flight has an issue and the customer gets a refund? Now that customer has an enormous credit that they did not really deserve or earn and DL has really lost out. It's just not good or well thought through idea.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
So it's not a policy.

Considering that your original concern was accounting being thrown off, this solution would only make that worse.

I certainly don't think DL wants to start handing out the extra RDM's and MQM's that a customer would get if the J tickets were sold as a walkup. I imagine that to sell it this way that a GA would have to be handing out $5K-$10K vdb credits.

Furthermore, what happens if THAT flight has an issue, now that customer has an enormous credit and DL has really lost out. It's just not good or well thought through idea.
VDB accounting is specifically used for future overbooking forecasting. Measuring what compensation is given to VDBs is important for cost-benefit analysis of future overbookings. Other issues like the cost of deadheading crew aren’t relevant to VDB accounting. I’m not aware of any other circumstance where a Y ticket is turned into a J ticket without consuming miles, dollars, an upgrade instrument, or by reissuing into complimentary upgrade inventory, which can be accounted for.

Magically reissuing a Y ticket into J without any fare collection is difficult or impossible to account for in VDB forecasting. How would RM know that X number of passengers were only willing to volunteer in exchange for free upgrades, whose costs weren’t tracked because the ticket values weren’t adjusted?

Giving free upgrades will make it look like the GA got volunteers for a relatively low VDB amount, which would let RM think they can overbook by more than they should because the true cost of VDB wasn’t counted. The GA sees a $2k voucher and a free upgrade which might’ve prevented the airline from selling the seat for a few $100, but all RM might see is the $2k voucher. The lost revenue from the upgrade isn’t accounted for anywhere. Using a higher voucher to pay for the upgrade would allow for accounting, and RM would see the true cost of the VDB and plan accordingly (presumably by overbooking less).
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:19 pm

I’m not aware of any other circumstance where a Y ticket is turned into a J ticket without consuming miles, dollars, an upgrade instrument, or by reissuing into complimentary upgrade inventory, which can be accounted for.

Op-ups.

Magically reissuing a Y ticket into J without any fare collection is difficult or impossible to account for in VDB forecasting. How would RM know that X number of passengers were only willing to volunteer in exchange for free upgrades, whose costs weren’t tracked because the ticket values weren’t adjusted?
You seem to be suggesting that it is not possible to track upgrades that are given as vdb compensation, which strikes me as being rather unlikely.

Giving free upgrades will make it look like the GA got volunteers for a relatively low VDB amount, which would let RM think they can overbook by more than they should because the true cost of VDB wasn’t counted.
So are you saying that DL takes into account the cost of VDB and not just the likely number of VDB pax when it sets inventory for a flight? That's news to me, but I of course don't know. In any case, this could of course be accounted for without the reissuing gymnastics you suggest, it just requires the correct data collection.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:30 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
RM probably noticed when the ticket was reissued from Y to J without a fare collection.
It sounds like the sentiment is that even the OSM didn’t have the authority to offer a free upgrade as VDB compensation, and RM called them out on that.
It’s possible that RM just had a problem with how the upgrade was reissued.
VDB accounting is specifically used for future overbooking forecasting. Measuring what compensation is given to VDBs is important for cost-benefit analysis of future overbookings. Other issues like the cost of deadheading crew aren’t relevant to VDB accounting. I’m not aware of any other circumstance where a Y ticket is turned into a J ticket without consuming miles, dollars, an upgrade instrument, or by reissuing into complimentary upgrade inventory, which can be accounted for.

Giving free upgrades will make it look like the GA got volunteers for a relatively low VDB amount, which would let RM think they can overbook by more than they should because the true cost of VDB wasn’t counted. The GA sees a $2k voucher and a free upgrade which might’ve prevented the airline from selling the seat for a few $100, but all RM might see is the $2k voucher. The lost revenue from the upgrade isn’t accounted for anywhere. Using a higher voucher to pay for the upgrade would allow for accounting, and RM would see the true cost of the VDB and plan accordingly (presumably by overbooking less).
Sounds like someone was promoted to RM!

Congrats!

jdrtravel likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels
Sounds like someone was promoted to RM!

Congrats!

Haha nah I prefer working with people

I’m just speculating using business finance principles I learned in college/use at my day job. My full time gig is accounting at a credit union. RM jobs are so hard to come by

edit: and with that being said, all my comments here are my personal opinion on how an airline RM dept is likely to act. I have no idea what actually happens behind the scenes, and I wouldn’t want to seem like I pretend to. These are just my personal opinions as a smalltime accountant with a finance degree and marginal familiarity with the customer service side of flight overbooking

Last edited by Widgets; Dec 9, 2018 at 7:17 pm
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

This is no different, accounting wise, then rebooking to another flight in same cabin, that costs more. When you process the even exchange it simply records the difference in an account entry. In this case it can record the cost difference to the DB account just like vouchers would be.

As for policy, it must not be widely followed if it is. I've seen and been offered upgrades all the time as part of VDB.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DCP2016
The airport (unless it is a privately owned airport or facility like Branson Missouri or JFK's T4) is public property and you have the right to record anything you can see from a public space (TSA screens and off limits areas aside).

The gate area is public, if this happened on the aircraft that would be a different story as that is private property.
Who owns the space doesn't matter. Private/public in this regard means - Are you in area where others, not party to conversation could hear you, or somewhere, where only the parties to conversation can hear the conversation? Thus at a podium with people around there's no expectation of conversation being private. A back office, or even that same podium, with no one else around would have expectation of being private.

The plane even though privately owned is a public area. You can record without consent. However the owner (through its employees) can demand you leave if you refuse to stop. What they can't do is force you to stop recording.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Well, to add injury to insult, someone somewhere left a note that the ticket has no value remaining and no further changes allowed.

I called earlier this week due to a schedule change and to apply a GUC on the return. Agent noted those comments to me (first time I had heard them, and besides the VDB rebooking no other changes were made outside the Risk Free period) but said they didn't make sense.

He went to a Supervisor who approved changes for purposes of schedule change or SDC and noted this...called again tonight briefly before dinner to check for UG space and agent said no changes and I need to speak to a supervisor....so much wasted time, I may try a Supervisor directly after dinner.

Darn Delta, please stop wasting so much of your HVCs time!

If they don't assist, I may seriously consider a DOT complaint as this is getting ridiculous.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Someone in RM or otherwise high up at DL thinks your scamming them. Call and press to see who added those remarks and when - the info is available on the PnR.

as this is an international PNR, you can also request it via a CBP FOIA request, although it’ll take about a year to process. (Intl PNRs are sent to and stored by CBP; comments made in PNR are often visible)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.