Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Sky Club etiquette tip for frequent guests

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Sky Club etiquette tip for frequent guests

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:17 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by jeet
and yet here you are.. wasting hundreds of seconds reading and responding to the drivel that keeps us entertained
The difference being that he is already in a lounge (at home or airport) with a glass of red in his hand and time to post in leisure
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
If people get this petulant about being told what gate your flight is at, I'd hate to be the phone agent who asks them "Do you need any help with hotels or rental cars?"
gooselee likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Just be sure to cover the bills' serial numbers, and handle them with gloves (fingerprints!)
You also need to make sure that the serial numbers on those notes aren't sequential and cannot be remembered easily, so they shouldn't be a sequence of prime numbers, the numbers on a single bill shouldn't have a lot of repetitions or digits such that the next number is double or the square of its predecessor, etc.
GRALISTAIR likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:25 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by marcworld
Well, for example, I get to the airport at the VERY last second, giving myself exactly enough time to run through the terminal, which includes a stop at the skyclub to grab a coffee or a banana. there are plenty of reasons to run in and out of that place within 5 minutes or less. grab a toothbrush. send an email. print a piece of paper.

5 seconds of waiting MATTERS.
Nobody is disputing that there are plenty of reasons to run in and out of the club. I've dropped in to get a coffee and turned right around 100 times.

five seconds does NOT matter. If five seconds is the difference between you making your flight and not making it then you don't have time to go to the club. It's that simple. If you DO have time to stop at the club then you are not "getting to the airport at the VERY last second". You just can't schedule your airport activities with that level of granularity due to all the variables involved.

Look, I get it, I board last, I get to the airport way later than 99% of people are comfortable with, etc. But I'm not confused about what five seconds mean.

Honestly I thought the opsec derailment was as dumb as this thread could get, but I am once again proven wrong.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: Delta
As someone who genuinely enjoys traveling, I have had the opportunity to try many different airlines. Based on my experience with the other airlines to include reliability, helpfulness of their people, and the experience in their lounges, I will now go out of my way to avoid, like the plague, the other US airlines. Even if doing so requires an escalated approval for my work travel due to a higher fare on Delta. Delta does a great job of getting me there on time and helping me make changes when plans change. They hire the best people in the industry, in my opinion. I pay, out of my own pocket, for a credit card that gets me access to the Sky Club. While it's nice to have some chicken salad and crackers and a drink, I primarily use the SkyClub to have a place where I can do work and speak to someone that can help with flight changes. Maybe it's different in other parts of the country, but where I fly in the US Southeast and occasionally to California, the SkyClub agents are all tremendously helpful and as others have said, interacting with them is often one of the high points of a very long travel day.
powerful pete likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
I haven't been on FT as long as some of you have, but I have to say, this thread has been one of the most entertaining ones I've come across.
Indeed, but threads like this also have a habit of getting locked.
Ysitincoach likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I admit I get annoyed with SC receptionists who presumably see that I'm DM and (2)MM as they sometimes explicitly thank me, but give me introductory information as if they think I've never been in an airport before. Given my status, it's a very good guess that I've been in the SCs at MSP and at least other hubs such as DTW and ATL before (and in fact many times), so I probably don't need to be told what the SC provides or the locations of food, drinks, restrooms, etc. IMO they should be spending their time instead on enforcing quiet zones and not permitting rowdy kids and dogs to run around loose.
BenA and PraisedPepper like this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:01 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
I visited the ATL "B" lounge this week and expected a zoo. I was instead exceedingly impressed with the way they handled the check-ins. We joined a queue of about 15 just prior to the manned desks and our boarding passes were hand scanned while standing the the queue line, That process tool less than 15 sec and was ended with a quick summary of the gate for our next flight and an offer to stop at the wide open manned desks for any further help. The whole process through the queue took no more than 2 mins.

One guy tried to cut the queue by walking around it and then to flash his card at the scanner. He was stopped and invited to get back in the end of the line like everybody else.and wait the 1-2 minutes,

The lounge was only 50% or less full and I did stop at the biometrics sign-up to inquire how it worked. I could see no advantage to using one's finger vs the speed that was demonstrated that day in a queue line boarding pass scanning.
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:21 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Why are dogs inside sky clubs allowed to roam free and not required to remain in their carrier? Also it’s a food establishment. Isn’t that against health code violations?

honestly I love animals. Grew up on a farm. I don’t want to see Fido running around a sky club already crowded with people. What gives?
BenA, MSPeconomist and strickerj like this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 5:21 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mridley2
Why are dogs inside sky clubs allowed to roam free and not required to remain in their carrier? Also it’s a food establishment. Isn’t that against health code violations?

honestly I love animals. Grew up on a farm. I don’t want to see Fido running around a sky club already crowded with people. What gives?
Not sure but I know Friday afternoon in ATL B SC they were making announcements that animals were not allowed it sit on the furniture. They also were making announcements on what the password was, so I assume their were a lot of people traveling for the holidays who were given passes, it was included in their ticket etc.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 6:50 am
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo

The lounge was only 50% or less full and I did stop at the biometrics sign-up to inquire how it worked. I could see no advantage to using one's finger vs the speed that was demonstrated that day in a queue line boarding pass scanning.
Nobody is signing up for clear because it helps you get into the club. The point of clear is to cut TSA lines. The biometrics is just a gimmick to make it look more sophisticated.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pvn
Nobody is signing up for clear because it helps you get into the club. The point of clear is to cut TSA lines. The biometrics is just a gimmick to make it look more sophisticated.
I’m regularly encouraged not to use the biometric entry (esp. at IND and MKE) and to use my BP instead.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by troyintn
Not sure but I know Friday afternoon in ATL B SC they were making announcements that animals were not allowed it sit on the furniture. They also were making announcements on what the password was, so I assume their were a lot of people traveling for the holidays who were given passes, it was included in their ticket etc.
Perhaps staff is a little aggressive with shouting out the password?

Their entry spiel and random PAs. We’d all be better served if only those really wanting to know it searched it out and asked.

United Clubs handle WiFi access much better, multiple printed signs with today’s password, as well as your frequent flyer number can access the WiFi at the SSID’s landing page. A lot more professional than constantly shouting the password of the month.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 10:51 am
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by bergamini

I’m regularly encouraged not to use the biometric entry (esp. at IND and MKE) and to use my BP instead.
yeah it's slow and the reader in the club is not as accurate as the one they use in the security lines. It's just another gimmick to advertise the service.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by PraisedPepper
... or how to instantly irk a Sky Club employee

During check in, it’s customary that the ambassador (concierge) goes over your flight details, recognizes your status, reminds you of the WiFi password, etc.

However, a surprisingly *large* portion of guests will walk away when the ambassador is in mid-sentence speaking to the guest, and without finishing check in. Not saying a single word... no “hi,” “thanks,” or even an “ok.” Soooo awkward.

Anyone guilty of this? It’s the number one pet peeve for us! So be mindful!
SkyClub agents are simply not consistent in their greetings. Sometimes it is a simple thank you, other times it’s the whole thing. Regardless, I figure I check in 100 or so times a year and I prefer to scan and go. My intent is not to disrespect anyone but by the same token, one has no obligation to hear the agent out who is following the protocol and explaining things to you. Add to that a presumption that the agents have data on one’s visit history. Perhaps the greeting preference could be notated on the screen so that for those of us who prefer short and sweet, it could be so noted and the agent would leave it at the scan and a hello?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.