Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Sky Club etiquette tip for frequent guests

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Sky Club etiquette tip for frequent guests

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:11 am

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gooselee
I don't know where y'all are going that SC agents are doing some sort of drawn out interpretive dance that takes up so much or your day that you are so personally wronged and offended, but I usually spend more time trying to get soap out of those damn touchless dispensers in the bathroom than I do checking into the club.
And the touch less paper towel dispenser is where I do my real interpretive dancing.. Those darn things don't ever want to give me some paper.
gooselee likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:21 am

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
For my OPSEC should I post about trips that I'm not actually taking to throw would be kidnappers off of my trail? Am I hopeless?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by Wimsta
For my OPSEC should I post about trips that I'm not actually taking to throw would be kidnappers off of my trail? Am I hopeless?
You're revealing too much of the OPSEC Instruction Manual. Please cease and desist.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by PraisedPepper
... or how to instantly irk a Sky Club employee

During check in, it’s customary that the ambassador (concierge) goes over your flight details, recognizes your status, reminds you of the WiFi password, etc.

However, a surprisingly *large* portion of guests will walk away when the ambassador is in mid-sentence speaking to the guest, and without finishing check in. Not saying a single word... no “hi,” “thanks,” or even an “ok.” Soooo awkward.

Anyone guilty of this? It’s the number one pet peeve for us! So be mindful!
Question... My spouse has the reserve card and I have an additional card based on that account. At Sky Club check-in, I'm always asked to show my reserve card whereas my spouse is not. Is this because I have the extra card?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:02 am

You should always book 2 fully refundable fares - just so you can scan the BP of flight that you are NOT going to take
PraisedPepper likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoleATL
Question... My spouse has the reserve card and I have an additional card based on that account. At Sky Club check-in, I'm always asked to show my reserve card whereas my spouse is not. Is this because I have the extra card?
Your Reserve card and account validity appear automatically from your Skymiles account when we scan. However, additional card holders cannot link their Skymiles account. You’re correct, additional card holders need to show the card and swipe it.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Cyberian

If I'm flying MSO to GRK (on a different carrier...), where the heck do you think I'm going? And do you not speculate why?
Tomorrow's headline: ISIS gets tipped off on troop movements because some dude from dyncorp took a commercial flight to ft hood
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by tonyrocks922
Tomorrow's headline: ISIS gets tipped off on troop movements because some dude from dyncorp took a commercial flight to ft hood
NOT because they took a commercial flight.
Because a Sky Club agent read out speculated about their destination while checking them in!

Last edited by jeet; Dec 12, 2018 at 11:56 am
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nrr
For many (but not all) AA (Admirals Club) lounges there are "moat dragons" at the entrance, they scan your bp to verify that you can be admitted. Any issues with flts: gate #s , upgrade status, flt. changes etc. are dealt with by a different set of agents elsewhere in the lounge--you only interact with them if you choose to.
This system seems fairly efficient for gaining prompt admission.
Also, although these entrance agents do not (and maybe cannot, with the equipment at the front door) provide any flight information, they do see a picture of each Admirals Club member when scanning credit card/ boarding pass/ membership card. So there is no need for any additional identification check. Usually there is no additional conversation beyond "Welcome to the Club." and "Thank you."
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by SeaHawg
Operational secrecy? While flying commercial and going into a SkyClub?? Please tell me this post is a high-level attempt at trolling self-absorbed, self-important posters on here.

In case it isn’t- No stranger in line at a SkyClub cares who you are or where you are going beyond maybe offering a tip on local cuisuine or a nice hotel.

Important people fly private and direct to small, SkyClub-less airports.
So true! And if someone does try to make conversation with you, I guarantee they are just trying to be nice - there are still a lot of nice people in this world you know! There is certainly a healthy level of paranoia, but this is so absurd its hilarious!

The best question an agent asks is "have you been to this location before?" The response usually leads them to provide the proper amount of info (a lot or a little).
PraisedPepper likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
At the end of the day, if it is protocol for an employee to do something, I think we should all collectively respect what their mandate is and give 15 seconds to listen to it. Sometimes I've found out my gate changed or I was delayed so it helps. I personally think I need to get better at being more social when I travel. When I first started in ~2001 I actually met people and exchanged emails and a few I went clubbing with on a trip to San Fran. Now I do all I can to avoid eye contact and find reasons why people annoy me. And if you go by this board, I'm actually one of the more friendly ones. So my 2019 #squadgoal is to be friendlier to my fellow travelers and make a little small talk. Gotta keep that screen time metric down!
Porter2112, pvn and The Situation like this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:55 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
It really blows my mind how many people are keeping super-detailed notes on every employee's attitude.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pvn
It really blows my mind how many people are keeping super-detailed notes on every employee's attitude.
Seriously!
FlyerTalk never ceases to amaze me with what people keep track of.

This thread has gone in a somewhat hilarious direction, maybe there is hope for us after all.
gooselee likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:49 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Is using an AMEX card a violation of OPSEC? Should we all limit ourselves to cash transactions at the airport?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Is using an AMEX card a violation of OPSEC? Should we all limit ourselves to cash transactions at the airport?
Just be sure to cover the bills' serial numbers, and handle them with gloves (fingerprints!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.