Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Sky Club etiquette tip for frequent guests

Delta Sky Club etiquette tip for frequent guests

Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:13 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
I don't get it. They put those finger thingies at the lounge check-in to save time fumbling with a boarding pass
no, they put those in to serve as advertising for Clear
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:33 pm

Sometimes As Travelers We Need to Learn How to Breath and Listen

I've been a road warrior just less than 4 years and here are the things I've learned.

1. Stop and listen - At the club, the gate, on the aircraft and at the baggage pickup. It amazes how there are so many flyers (regulars and not regulars) who don't listen for the gate change, delay announcement, warning of turbulence and baggage belt change and just complain and complain. I especially despise the warning that we are on approach, announcement has said we need to stay in our seats and suddenly when we are less than 5,000 feet above landing there are people running to the bathroom.

2. Posts like this have reminded me that everyone I fly with, airline staff and passengers are people too. So slow down, be courteous, smile and communicate. Ask when you need to go to the bathroom, get your bag or recline your seat.

Last year I was a Platinum, this year a Gold and due to plans will probably hit Platinum again. I prefer aisle seats and to be honest don't like to be in C+ because there are too many status members and it's a fight for a legal sized carry ons in that territory. So I book behind the wing, put my bag away in the right direction (newer planes on its side like a book) to show the right way to others and when somebody arrives to my row I always say "I've been waiting for you".

I still wish there was a better way to board all the different aircraft Delta flies. I took Air France from LAX to CDG over a year ago on an A380 and that plane was loaded faster than any domestic 737 I've been on. But of course it's designed to handle a lot of carry ons and they load from back to front for coach.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:44 pm

(Before this gets locked)

I know my name.
I know my gate.
I know the computer tells you to thank me for my status (which I don't care about)

I don't need you shouting it to the whole club.

I keep writing Claude Roussel about it, and they continue with this nonsensical welcome.

F................off...................(that's me walking away)

Hey, I'm back...no, seriously, what are the magic words that a valued customer can use to avoid this canned welcome?
I get particularly peeved when the ambassador (concierge) asks for the pronunciation of my name.

I've asked the kind DTW agents if it's possible that a big warning could flash on the ambassador (concierge) screen for some note that would advise: Customer wishes to remain anonymous--does not want name recognition or gate information.

Last edited by Ysitincoach; Dec 7, 2018 at 8:53 pm
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Any smart consumer knows that the only way to get a needed favor is to be kind to customer service agents. It's interesting that some folks don't seem to remember how much influence and power SC agents can have over travel. Smart pax know you all can pull strings if you want to and they treat you like it!
And they remember folks better than you think they do. I visit SEA A club maybe once a month and I am sure they know me on sight.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
As a fellow under-appreciated worker of the world, and as someone who gratefully received BPs, etc...

My first move is always to make eye contact and be conversational. At this point I think I can read the non-verbals pretty well. That is usually what I respond to the most.

What I am not so good at is being respectful of those with bad attitudes.

Example: Nov. 16, took 45 minutes in line to get into SC at JFK. Obviously the place was packed, and everyone was working hard, initially I was greeted with a smile. When I left and turned around because I discovered the delay, I was greeted with a "are you going to check in" in an ugly tone... all I could say, "I was just here, walked out less than a minute ago, flight was delayed, I'm back, and I'm happy to check in again..." which was received with "just go ahead."

I wasn't trying to dodge anything, the line had subsided and there was no wait, but it wasn't clear that I was doing something wrong. I thought the checkers were downstairs, and had just let me through because we exchanged the "back again" words downstairs....

I called to ask for more JWDs because I'd given mine away pretty quickly, I was told that was it. I wish it was easier to recognize more employees.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Originally Posted by Paplover

And they remember folks better than you think they do. I visit SEA A club maybe once a month and I am sure they know me on sight.
At the T terminal in ATL several folks in the UA lounge got to know me quite well. I only get SC for international flights, but I wonder I'll ever get that report? Problem is the number of terminals... Two bartenders in LAX SCs are the same way, have my drink ready for me on approach, love it.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:09 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
I don’t understand why some posters on this thread are so inconvenienced/incensed by an ambassador greeting them and extending a welcome.

You fly commercial- you are not that important regardless of your status, and your time isn’t as valuable as, say, those who fly private and sign the front of your paychecks.

Get over yourselves and learn some basic manners/people skills when you are in a public place. Nothing makes me more angry than seeing people treat service-oriented employees badly.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by SeaHawg
... Nothing makes me more angry than seeing people treat service-oriented employees badly.
devil’s advocate question: what about customer-facing employees who project a dismissive “I’m just here to collect my paycheck” attitude in customer interactions ?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:31 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Originally Posted by jrl767

devil’s advocate question: what about customer-facing employees who project a dismissive “I’m just here to collect my paycheck” attitude in customer interactions ?
I have a conversation with “corporate” if it is warranted. In my case, I am rarely treated in a fashion that warrants those type of conversations.

The worst interaction I can remember was actually with an AMEX Open phone rep. I escalated it immediately and implored the supervisor to replay the call and use it as a teachable moment for other staff.

I’m assuming they did because I received a call the next day with a very contrite supervisor on the other line and a statement credit for the purchase I was trying to make the day before.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: just above cargo
Originally Posted by upinthe
The thing is...It's an employer-mandated spiel...Press 1 for English. Listen to a menu of irrelevant options before selecting the one I want. Listen to the check-in desk girl at the hotel explain the spa benefits I'm not going to use... We live in a bureaucratized society where people are induced to go through these motions, constantly, and it degrades organic social interaction.
I agree entirely that one could live without these scripted inauthentic moments. However, your response is to act like an authentic, organic jerk.

Make no mistake, by being rude to employees who are doing what their employers ask of them, it's you that is degrading social interaction.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:36 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Speaking from personal experience, I'm usually pretty good about waiting, offering a polite nod, etc. If I'm not, it's probably because I'm on my fifth flight of the day or couldn't sleep the night before and I'm extra crispy at the time. I will say that the #1 thing I like is when the agent recommends a time for me heading to my gate, as happened at JFK this week: They let me know my flight was delayed (I thanked them, noting that I was coming upstairs from the delay...late pilot) and suggested the time for me to head down for the rescheduled departure.

This isn't as big of a deal at, say, JFK T2. However, at JFK T4 (or anywhere in Atlanta) this is a very deeply useful and appreciated touch, right alongside quickly getting a ticket reprint when you've just been IRROPSed.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:22 am
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
I truly hope the OP is a troll, because the attitude is terrible. Beyond that while passenger rudeness is never warranted if the OP is genuinely from SC a little reminder in the fact they have a customer service job is needed. You were hired to make passengers lives easier not the other way around and the customer gets to determine if you are succeeding at that not you. As a previous boss used to remind us, the customer is not always right but the customer is all we have.
MSPeconomist and Seabilly like this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
The thing is, this isn't an organic interaction where the human standing in front of me has an independent need or desire to provide this info. It's an employer-mandated spiel.
You can't know this to be true. It is entirely possible that the employee takes great pride in providing excellent customer service, even if they are asking questions that it is policy to ask and that you are actually offending an actual human being with actual feelings.

"Is the 10 extra seconds really such a problem" -- yes, because it aggregates with thousands of other seconds I spend enmeshed in similar red tape. Press 1 for English. Listen to a menu of irrelevant options before selecting the one I want.
An automated phone system and a live human being are most certainly not the same thing. Ask anyone who has been on hold for hours with an automated phone system who is desperate to reach a real person.

I also suggest this attitude adjustment, it may help in more ways than one:
Listen to the check-in desk girl woman at the hotel explain the spa benefits I'm not going to use, an explanation I've listened to more times than I can count.

We live in a bureaucratized society where people are induced to go through these motions, constantly, and it degrades organic social interaction.
Ha! If you want to try being a pax on an airline (or a citizen of a country for that matter) that is not a well organized bureaucracy, good luck to you my friend. Personally, I'll take a well organized system that includes social graces, even if they do sometimes sound a bit scripted. I don't think so highly of myself as to require some kind of boutique, unique individual "organic" experience from everyone I come across. Customer service protocols serve their purpose.
ErikMpls likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:31 am

The worst are the ambassador (concierges) that hold your print boarding pass hostage whilst they wait for their computer to update with the needless flight and gate information.

This is another Delta service that should have died with the advent of the smart phone. The passenger’s access to information at many times can be far superior to the SkyClub’s. I’ll see on FlightAware and TripIt, gate changes before some of the airline’s own 700+ points of interface to their network share it with their staff.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The thing is, this isn't an organic interaction where the human standing in front of me has an independent need or desire to provide this info. It's an employer-mandated spiel. So I don't feel rude when I summarily nod, utter a quick "thanks" and briskly walk away. "Is the 10 extra seconds really such a problem" -- yes, because it aggregates with thousands of other seconds I spend enmeshed in similar red tape. Press 1 for English. Listen to a menu of irrelevant options before selecting the one I want. Listen to the check-in desk girl at the hotel explain the spa benefits I'm not going to use, an explanation I've listened to more times than I can count. We live in a bureaucratized society where people are induced to go through these motions, constantly, and it degrades organic social interaction.

So, don't take the passenger's impatience personally. It isn't solely about you.
S/he isn't talking about this. In this scenario you have acknowledged and thanked the agent, albeit quickly.

S/he is deriding people who don't even do that; they walk in, get scanned, and leave the agent in mid-sentence.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.