Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Handclap to the ORD skyclub catering team

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Handclap to the ORD skyclub catering team

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by TommyD2
And of course they don't offer ketchup! What the heck!

(Yes, that was a joke. And for all I know they DO have ketchup.)
Ketchup? The didn’t have fries. What do you do with ketchup and a hot dog??
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:42 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Originally Posted by DataPlumber

Ketchup? The didn’t have fries. What do you do with ketchup and a hot dog??
Pretty sure you mean 'mayo' and not ketchup for fries.

At least according to my wife (and apparently the Belgians)
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:07 am

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM), Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
I do love it when they serve Nathan's in the clubs. It usually beats the random chicken slop or random noodle slop they regularly serve. Too bad that compounds how sad the ORD SC is.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
From the glass half full side, Delta is offering hot food aside from soup, which means even a "Sysco" hot dog is better than the Admirals Club. You are allowed to eat in the terminal.
​​​​​​I'd rather it be from Sysco than not have it, or have prices rise.
HDQDD likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
IMO occasionally offering local themed street food is all good as long as it is not the main offering, but instead an add on. There should be healthier and higher quality staple options. Also, lots of people don't eat hot dogs, either because they don't eat beef and/or pork, because they are trying to eat a healthy diet or because they just don't like them.

OTOH, I think street foods should never be served in a first class cabin.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:26 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
the greatest trick US airline marketing departments ever played was calling the domestic front cabin "first class" lol
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
Hmm I was in the MSP-F club yesterday afternoon and actually pretty impressed with their food offering. A lot better than the DTW clubs.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by pvn
the greatest trick US airline marketing departments ever played was calling the domestic front cabin "first class" lol

I don't think it's a marketing trick, I think it is a holdover from a time when seats like that were actually the best you could get (there was no lay flat, etc) and when the soft product actually was high end.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by StuckOnSegments
You’ve really outdone yourself. I can’t imagine a more luxurious experience than constructing a “Chicago style” Sysco econo hot-dog among the hordes in this overcrowded club. This may be a petty rant but I just can’t belive a skyclub is serving hotdogs.

I guess you can’t thin the herd with good food.
The overcrowding at this club is for sure a very legitimate complaint and DL needs to figure it out. But the hot dogs are on top of plenty of other food to eat and some (me) find it kind of fun to have a finger food like that, although IME they often don’t have all the proper Chicago dog toppings (sport peppers / celery salt). But them serving hot dogs is not really something worth getting upset about.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by StuckOnSegments

A product ever so slightly above high school cafeteria grade.

I’m not expecting anything amazing - but “this ain’t it”.

I had thought Delta was trying to make an effort in the sky clubs to try to compete with AA or UA. Clearly not.
I like the Nathan's hotdogs served at the JFK club. I have found that the food at AA's clubs is sometimes better, but their free booze selections are rubbing alcohol or disgusting wine. I go to the clubs for a proper buzz, not a gourmet dining experience.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
First world problems.

I can assure you that the food in the DL SCs are light years above the Admirals Clubs where it has been the same thing for the last few years: cheese cubes, hummus, raw veggies and one soup. Hubs offer make to order guac...which is kind of sketch. Let's not even get into the swill AA calls well liquor while having the nerve to call Jack Daniels a premium liquor (this is my first world problem).

As for the ORD SC being too small, I agree. It is a holdover from the NW merger and was sized to handle NW flights but not the combined carrier. That said, DL is not going to address this since they are moving to T5 as soon as the new gates are added there. That's when we should see an expanded SC.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
I've heard the DTW club has Detroit-style Coney dogs from time-to-time. I haven't experienced them yet, but I wouldn't be offended by it. Yes, having the right style dog can make a difference.
When they're available it seems to be around 3-5 on the weekdays and around noon on the weekends.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
The ORD club is tiny, but the staff are very friendly. And I do appreciate something approaching a proper bagel in the morning, as opposed to horrific pieces of bread-like substance found in clubs such as SLC. Plus they have Sprite Zero in the refrigerators in the back, and I don't have to tip for them.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:42 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
As for the ORD SC being too small, I agree. It is a holdover from the NW merger and was sized to handle NW flights but not the combined carrier. That said, DL is not going to address this since they are moving to T5 as soon as the new gates are added there. That's when we should see an expanded SC.
I’ve always liked the design of that club, though miss the news ticker in the back room. It was originally shared between Northwest and Continental, so should have been designed to manage flights of a “Delta-sized” carrier of today.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 12:21 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
IMO occasionally offering local themed street food is all good as long as it is not the main offering, but instead an add on. There should be healthier and higher quality staple options. Also, lots of people don't eat hot dogs, either because they don't eat beef and/or pork, because they are trying to eat a healthy diet or because they just don't like them.

OTOH, I think street foods should never be served in a first class cabin.
FWIW, even the last bastion of foodie snobbery, the Michelin Guide, has started to include street food vendors. Several establishments throughout Asia have received stars, and if CX manages to serve me Tim Ho Wan pineapple bun dim sum in their F cabin, I would like that very much, thank you.
bergamini and jdrtravel like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.