Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2200 MQMs short of reaching Gold, but is it worth it?

Old Dec 6, 18, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, Hilton, SAS
Question 2200 MQMs short of reaching Gold, but is it worth it?

I can't decide if it is worth it for me to try to get the last 2200 MQMs to reach Gold.

This year I rolled-over 16000 MQMs which of course made it easier for me to secure Silver next year.
But if I reach Gold, nothing will rollover to 2020, right? Or only what I manage to earn beyond the 2200 MQMs will rollover.
I have the Amex Reserve Business and most travel next year will be going to Europe, so being Gold doesn't really increase my chances of being upgraded from what I can figure out.
Thanks for input!
Old Dec 6, 18, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DKisbest View Post
I can't decide if it is worth it for me to try to get the last 2200 MQMs to reach Gold.

This year I rolled-over 16000 MQMs which of course made it easier for me to secure Silver next year.
But if I reach Gold, nothing will rollover to 2020, right? Or only what I manage to earn beyond the 2200 MQMs will rollover.
I have the Amex Reserve Business and most travel next year will be going to Europe, so being Gold doesn't really increase my chances of being upgraded from what I can figure out.
Thanks for input!
GM status does get you lounge access on international itineraries, including lounges operated by SkyTeam partners. This can be a huge benefit, especially if there's a long delay or even if you prefer SC (or AF lounge) food over coach meals.

GMs are also eligible for C+ seats if any (nonmiddle?) ones are still available at the window for all DL flights including international (not available currently on A350 and some 777 routes with PS cabins).
yaychemistry and wxman22 like this.
Old Dec 6, 18, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL GM
GM gets SkyTeam Elite Plus, which as MSPEconomist mentioned gets you lounge access when traveling internationally. The big benefit of getting club access this way over instead of via a credit card is that it also gets you guest access for one guest. But that's only useful if you have a travel companion without access (or perhaps you travel with a child).

Also, my C+ upgrades (domestically) were about 2x better at GM than when I was Silver.

You also get SkyPriority as GM, which you don't get as Silver - though this benefit is only marginally useful. (slightly earlier boarding, and you get the priority tag on your bag if you check it).

You are correct, if you hit GM, then only the MQM above 22000 you have left to earn will rollover. Also, make sure that you hit the MQD threshold (or waiver).
Old Dec 6, 18, 3:03 pm

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL DM - that's it!
+ extra miles / $

I personally think it's very much worth it, mostly because of the international lounge access and the skypriority benefits. In some airports, e.g., CDG, skypriority is a big deal. Same for check-in counters at some airports, where silver doesn't get grouped with skypriority.
TheStrongOne likes this.
Old Dec 6, 18, 3:19 pm

I'd also say there's a huge difference in call center service as a Gold vs a Silver.
Old Dec 6, 18, 3:54 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
Definitely worth it especially if you are traveling internationally. Better seat selections, better boarding, and as others have said, the international lounge access.
Old Dec 6, 18, 6:10 pm

Programs: DL DM; HZ PC; Natl Exec Elite; SPG; Amex Plat
Gold also gets free SDC/SDS, which is something that I've made use of before, and can be super handy depending on your flight patterns. Might be worth a run even if you just use it two or three times.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Dec 6, 18, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, MR/SPG Platinum, HHonors Silver
SkyPriority and SDC are pretty handy benefits.
Old Dec 6, 18, 8:41 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
+ extra miles / $

I personally think it's very much worth it, mostly because of the international lounge access and the skypriority (SP) benefits. In some airports, e.g., CDG, skypriority is a big deal. Same for check-in counters at some airports, where silver doesn't get grouped with skypriority.
Flying International, SP is a BIG deal. There is usually a SP line for passport control. Also the lounge access, as well as check-in and baggage handling.
Go for it.
Old Dec 7, 18, 7:55 am

Programs: UA GM, DL GM
Agreed... I fly through CDG on my way to LYS or ZRH on a monthly basis and having access to the PriorityOne passport control line is HUGE.
Old Dec 7, 18, 9:28 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I never recommend that people "go" for Silver, but GM is generally worth it.

Since you have all that EU travel, GM will be huge for lounge access and better treatment at airports. ST Elite Plus passengers are treated well by AF/KL.

In terms of getting those MQMs, just look for the cheapest RT one-stop routing out of your home airport between now and the 31st. You might have to buy up to first on two of the segments to get over the 2200 needed, but it should be doable.
Old Yesterday, 9:57 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DKisbest View Post
Yes.