FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   2200 MQMs short of reaching Gold, but is it worth it? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1944266-2200-mqms-short-reaching-gold-but-worth.html)

DKisbest Dec 6, 2018 11:14 am

2200 MQMs short of reaching Gold, but is it worth it?

I can't decide if it is worth it for me to try to get the last 2200 MQMs to reach Gold.

This year I rolled-over 16000 MQMs which of course made it easier for me to secure Silver next year.
But if I reach Gold, nothing will rollover to 2020, right? Or only what I manage to earn beyond the 2200 MQMs will rollover.
I have the Amex Reserve Business and most travel next year will be going to Europe, so being Gold doesn't really increase my chances of being upgraded from what I can figure out.
Thanks for input!

MSPeconomist Dec 6, 2018 11:22 am

Originally Posted by DKisbest (Post 30505724)
I can't decide if it is worth it for me to try to get the last 2200 MQMs to reach Gold.

This year I rolled-over 16000 MQMs which of course made it easier for me to secure Silver next year.
But if I reach Gold, nothing will rollover to 2020, right? Or only what I manage to earn beyond the 2200 MQMs will rollover.
I have the Amex Reserve Business and most travel next year will be going to Europe, so being Gold doesn't really increase my chances of being upgraded from what I can figure out.
Thanks for input!

GM status does get you lounge access on international itineraries, including lounges operated by SkyTeam partners. This can be a huge benefit, especially if there's a long delay or even if you prefer SC (or AF lounge) food over coach meals.

GMs are also eligible for C+ seats if any (nonmiddle?) ones are still available at the window for all DL flights including international (not available currently on A350 and some 777 routes with PS cabins).

yaychemistry Dec 6, 2018 1:42 pm

GM gets SkyTeam Elite Plus, which as MSPEconomist mentioned gets you lounge access when traveling internationally. The big benefit of getting club access this way over instead of via a credit card is that it also gets you guest access for one guest. But that's only useful if you have a travel companion without access (or perhaps you travel with a child).

Also, my C+ upgrades (domestically) were about 2x better at GM than when I was Silver.

You also get SkyPriority as GM, which you don't get as Silver - though this benefit is only marginally useful. (slightly earlier boarding, and you get the priority tag on your bag if you check it).

You are correct, if you hit GM, then only the MQM above 22000 you have left to earn will rollover. Also, make sure that you hit the MQD threshold (or waiver).

mayhem Dec 6, 2018 2:03 pm

+ extra miles / $

I personally think it's very much worth it, mostly because of the international lounge access and the skypriority benefits. In some airports, e.g., CDG, skypriority is a big deal. Same for check-in counters at some airports, where silver doesn't get grouped with skypriority.

NHFL9 Dec 6, 2018 2:19 pm

I'd also say there's a huge difference in call center service as a Gold vs a Silver.

manually Dec 6, 2018 2:54 pm

Definitely worth it especially if you are traveling internationally. Better seat selections, better boarding, and as others have said, the international lounge access.

manacit Dec 6, 2018 5:10 pm

Gold also gets free SDC/SDS, which is something that I've made use of before, and can be super handy depending on your flight patterns. Might be worth a run even if you just use it two or three times.

zulu1128 Dec 6, 2018 5:19 pm

SkyPriority and SDC are pretty handy benefits.

wxman22 Dec 6, 2018 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by mayhem (Post 30506361)
+ extra miles / $

I personally think it's very much worth it, mostly because of the international lounge access and the skypriority (SP) benefits. In some airports, e.g., CDG, skypriority is a big deal. Same for check-in counters at some airports, where silver doesn't get grouped with skypriority.

Flying International, SP is a BIG deal. There is usually a SP line for passport control. Also the lounge access, as well as check-in and baggage handling.
Go for it.

TheStrongOne Dec 7, 2018 6:55 am

Agreed... I fly through CDG on my way to LYS or ZRH on a monthly basis and having access to the PriorityOne passport control line is HUGE.

KDCAflyer Dec 7, 2018 8:28 am

I never recommend that people "go" for Silver, but GM is generally worth it.

Since you have all that EU travel, GM will be huge for lounge access and better treatment at airports. ST Elite Plus passengers are treated well by AF/KL.

In terms of getting those MQMs, just look for the cheapest RT one-stop routing out of your home airport between now and the 31st. You might have to buy up to first on two of the segments to get over the 2200 needed, but it should be doable.

defrosted Dec 8, 2018 8:57 am

Originally Posted by DKisbest (Post 30505724)
2200 MQMs short of reaching Gold, but is it worth it?

Yes.

DKisbest Jan 2, 2019 2:38 pm

Thanks for all your great advice. When I wrote the post above, I was in radiation treatment for breast cancer and that sucked all the energy out of me, so I didn't look at it for a few weeks which was really silly.
At the end of December, when I surfaced again and started looking at mile-runs, we ended up having two snow storms with a few days interval, and everything in and out of my town was delayed or cancelled, so I ended up staying put.
I did get the email from Delta where they encourage me to buy my way up to Gold, but they want $799 which I think is shameful!
So I will have a big rollover instead. :-)
Happy New Year!

TheHorta Jan 2, 2019 4:29 pm

Best wishes for your full recovery in 2019.

My wife went through this a few years ago, including some tissue removal. Very little stresses me out, but I’m not ashamed to say I was a wreck and spent a lot of time on my knees.

DKisbest Jan 2, 2019 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by TheHorta (Post 30601362)
Best wishes for your full recovery in 2019.

My wife went through this a few years ago, including some tissue removal. Very little stresses me out, but I’m not ashamed to say I was a wreck and spent a lot of time on my knees.

Thank you very much! Yes, it is a sneaky, nasty, evil disease that are touching too many lives.
I hope your wife continues to be well and remain cancer-free.