Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Basic Eco is now available on awards!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer

It seems to be limited right now to the lowest level millage fares right now. The uncharge on most routes I saw was between 1,500 and 2,000 miles. However once again as we saw with the cash fares, these new BE fares aren't lowering prices at all and are just replacing the old cheap main cabin fares and essentially creates a medallion tax. I have booked several 5,000 mile MC OW awards for family and friends on MCO-DCA several times in main cabin so I know this to be true from past experience. I'm sure as what happened with cash BE fares that over time the number of miles needed to UG from BE to MC will continue to increase and will be expanded to higher millage fare classes. #KeepDescending
I'm seeing a number of routes where BE is lower than former MC. The lowest CHI-SAN awards were 21K RT a couple months ago. BE is now 15K RT. IND-SAN was 23K RT. BE is now 19K.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 8, 2019 at 4:51 am
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

dup post.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:54 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I just discovered this when trying to book a rountrip BNA-ATL flight. Honestly I don't really care about Basic Economy because my AMEX gives me zone 1 boarding and checked bag so the only thing that's missing is seat assignment. You're not even going to be earning mileage on a SkyMiles ticket anyways so I don't see the downside.
I think it's funny that people are so unhappy with basic economy. Clearly its what the people want. Less amenities and cheaper travel. Delta is able to sell plenty of these cheap tickets and raise the price a little bit for those who want seat selection, etc. It's important to remember that for big families, flying is often not an option. Basic economy makes it a little easier.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by jackvogt
Basic economy makes it a little easier.
I fail to see how getting less for the same amount of money makes anything easier...or how paying more for what you used to get (seats assignment, exit rows, etc) makes anything easier.

Typically on a domestic trip, WN and DL BE fares are the same. On WN, it is not hard to avoid middle seats, therefore they get an increased amount of my business.
Cledaybuck and dmarge18 like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: DL PM
I just discovered this when trying to book a rountrip BNA-ATL flight. Honestly I don't really care about Basic Economy because my AMEX gives me zone 1 boarding and checked bag so the only thing that's missing is seat assignment. You're not even going to be earning mileage on a SkyMiles ticket anyways so I don't see the downside.
The major downside to basic economy tickets is no changes, period. If you don't fly the ticket as originally booked, you have to throw it away. The other issue for higher-level elites is no upgrades.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:34 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mudpuppy
The major downside to basic economy tickets is no changes, period. If you don't fly the ticket as originally booked, you have to throw it away. The other issue for higher-level elites is no upgrades.
So, no redeposits even for DM & PMs?

I'm sure it was mentioned upthread somewhere. Sorry I haven't kept up!
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davetravels
So, no redeposits even for DM & PMs?

I'm sure it was mentioned upthread somewhere. Sorry I haven't kept up!
See post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...3&postcount=17 above. No redeposits after Worry-free cancellation period including DM/PM's.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
I think it's funny that people are so unhappy with basic economy. Clearly its what the people want. Less amenities and cheaper travel. Delta is able to sell plenty of these cheap tickets and raise the price a little bit for those who want seat selection, etc. It's important to remember that for big families, flying is often not an option. Basic economy makes it a little easier.
I disagree. Most families want to sit together. Charging a family of 4 $200 more round trip to be able to pick some of the worst seats on the plane is not what they want.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:43 am
formerly jackvogt

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I disagree. Most families want to sit together. Charging a family of 4 $200 more round trip to be able to pick some of the worst seats on the plane is not what they want.
In my experience (please don't take this as me saying this is the way it always is...) families still are seated together MOST OF THE TIME. In the case that they aren't, I have always experienced Delta to be very helpful in asking for someone to switch. Nobody is forced to buy basic economy and they make it very clear what you are getting yourself in to. Clearly there is a market for it and families continue to purchase those fares so something must be working right.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL-PM
Was looking for this thread to add that some domestic flights I have been monitoring MC miles have increased, combined with a slightly lower BE option now for the same routes.

Seeing higher fees to MC than before as well $35-$40 o/w now as opposed to $25-$30. My favorite is the $600+ BE fares from PHX to secondary cities like JAX/ALB/SYR etc that I have seen lately for some flights that I may take.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA EXP, AS MVP75K GOLD, HHonors Diamond, BW Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Delta's expansion of the Basic Economy business model is expanding to more routes; including Hawaii and Canada per

Uh Oh: Delta Expands Basic Economy On More Award Tickets

Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL PM
In my experience (please don't take this as me saying this is the way it always is...) families still are seated together MOST OF THE TIME. In the case that they aren't, I have always experienced Delta to be very helpful in asking for someone to switch. Nobody is forced to buy basic economy and they make it very clear what you are getting yourself in to. Clearly there is a market for it and families continue to purchase those fares so something must be working right.
I dislike Basic Economy as much as the next person, but it's not okay to buy BE and expect a Delta employee to ask other passengers to switch seats so that your family can sit together. As you said, they make it very clear what you are getting yourself into. Unless you are totally fine sitting apart you should never buy BE.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mills1090
Was looking for this thread to add that some domestic flights I have been monitoring MC miles have increased, combined with a slightly lower BE option now for the same routes.

Seeing higher fees to MC than before as well $35-$40 o/w now as opposed to $25-$30. My favorite is the $600+ BE fares from PHX to secondary cities like JAX/ALB/SYR etc that I have seen lately for some flights that I may take.
BE fares on the higher fare classes are nothing new. Typically up to L and up to K or Q on some routes. They've been doing this for probably a couple years now.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:57 pm
formerly jackvogt

I am curious if others have experienced this, I have gotten Comfort+ seats on 3 different flights because those were the only open seats available when I checked in. I didn't get any additional miles or anything but still. Another 3-4 flights, I was assigned "preferred" seats (not the best seats but still). I don't allow the app to check me in automatically and wait until I have arrived at the airport. It hasn't happened every time but I am just wondering if others have had this happen to them.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LBJ
See post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30504993&postcount=17 above. No redeposits after Worry-free cancellation period including DM/PM's.
In addition to the quote forwarded by Renes Points, one can find it in the award fare rules, here from a 14K DTW-MCO r/t, FARE CODE - ESXR070PENALTIES

CANCELLATIONS TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE IN CASE OF CANCEL/NO-SHOW. NOTE - TICKET MAY NOT BE APPLIED TOWARDS PURCHASE OF ANY OTHER TICKET. UNUSED COUPONS HAVE NO RESIDUAL VALUE. CHANGES CHANGES NOT PERMITTED.

There's a terms and conditions hyperlink where one selects the outbound Basic Economy segment, with a Basic Economy/Main Cabin comparison and a Accept Restrictions check box.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.