Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Basic Eco is now available on awards!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Arrow Basic Eco is now available on awards!

It's usually 2500 SkyPesos cheaper than MC on a one-way!
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
I tried 4 different route options domestically and nothing for basic economy was showing up when using miles
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
This is a very disappointing development.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Try 1-way CHS--PIT or CHS--DTW or v.v. in December or early January.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Yuck!! Get ready for another stealth devaluation...
Spiff, GUWonder, Jma12 and 7 others like this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:26 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver

I think I'll stick with Main Cabin.
AntonS, Jma12, kendallg and 10 others like this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Wow, Dave! I never expected that!
Now please try CHS--CAK on Dec. 18 one-way. Or DTW--CHS on Jan. 2. Or both of these together in a Multi-City itinerary.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:38 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Brendan
Wow, Dave! I never expected that!
Welcome to Deltaland. . . . . . Land of the UNEXPECTED!

I don't really have the energy at this hour to start checking other city pairs . . . . Suffice it to say that, every time I have searched for award tix since the advent of Basic Economy, I have ALWAYS wondered how long it would take this to suddenly rear its ugly head. That said, when I first saw your post a few hours ago, I did check a couple of other cities, PIT/LGA, for example, and the Basic Economy option was NOT showing. I'd bet that they are either testing the waters, and/or, simply testing the functionality for planned imminent implementation . . . . ie . . . everyone better hurry up and grab your award tickets!
Brendan likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Years from now I doubt we will remember this as a happy event.
DH, Spiff, GUWonder and 10 others like this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Next move is for all flash sales to book into basic

If AA and UA weren’t so .........
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Years from now I doubt we will remember this as a happy event.
Yes, but I suppose it was inevitable. I see this as part of Delta's silent march to 1 SkyMile <= 1 cent.

In general, domestic main cabin redemptions tended to yield anywhere from 1.2-1.4 cents relative to the equivalent main cabin fare. There are exceptions (you may occasionally get lucky and find a 1.5-1.6 or be unlucky and find a 1.0-1.1) but in general this is the range you see on most tickets.

Decomposing that value though - you see that roughly .1 to .2 of those cents are just the difference between main cabin and basic economy fares (since award tickets always booked into main cabin). So now you're at 1.0-1.2 cent redemption value. You then have to account for the fact that you aren't getting the ~10% "cash back" when you buy paid tickets (since you get miles when you book paid tickets). This means that the real value equivalent is more like .9-1.1 cent range - exactly where I think Delta wants it to be.

This of course assumes that today's main cabin prices become basic economy fares of the future - which is fair since this is precisely what Delta did when they introduced basic economy (old main cabin price = basic econ).
dw and Brendan like this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
The Skymiles program is now officially worthless! Not too long ago, you could fly biz most places in the world for around 120k. Now the same flights price out at a minimum of 390k (unless you get them on sale) and I've seen them go up to almost 800k. Couple those increases with stingier mileage accruals and now the impending baseline for tickets being basic economy! Imagine a domestic reward that was 20k is now almost 50k and you only get Basic Economy? I was once a loyal Platinum flier for a number of years. Back then it was worth being loyal. No longer. Gotta love the continual "enhancements" that just further deteriorate the value of this program!
Brendan, fti, CPMaverick and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Just in case nobody noticed: In the example posted above, basic economy not only costs more miles than regular coach (aka main cabin in delta-ese) but also more than C+ on some of these flights.
Brendan, yohanson and ATOBTTR like this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Death by a thousand cuts. One cut at a time.
Brendan, Zeeb and Webogirl like this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Won't be long until DL fixes/adjusts their system so those basic econ fares are what the main cabin mileage rate was... and then the main cabin will increase by several thousand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.