767 versus 330 in business class?

Old Dec 5, 18, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS MVPG75K,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,SPG Plat,HH Gold,Hyatt Expl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question 767 versus 330 in business class?

My wife and I will be flying LHR-SFO in business class on DL next year. A few questions:

1. Right now in terms of award availability for the day we need to fly, we're seeing going via MSP on a 767-300 versus going via ATL on a 330-300. My impression in looking at seat maps and youtube is that for a couple the 767 is a bit better, and if we decide not to sit together (for the sake of better seats and better snoozing) the individual seats right by the window in the 767 are also better. Do I have that right?

2. As a secondary consideration, the MSP connection is four hours and ATL just under two. Is MSP a better/easier airport to connect through? Any difference in the lounges in the two airports? (Despite the longer connection time, we'd still consider MSP because that flight gets us in to SFO a bit earlier in the evening.)

3. Finally, is there any extra fee to pay for advance seat assignments on DL, as there is on a few other airlines such as BA?

Thanks for any advice on any of this.
Old Dec 5, 18, 9:14 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM+, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
It's a personal preference, however having flown both, i prefer the A330. The lie flat seats on the A330 are more like beds where the 767 has a footwell hole thing that can seem cramped.

I would also prefer a 2 hour layover at ATL. 4 hours to me is too much regardless of airport.

No fee to pay to pick seats if you are at the pointy end.
jalves likes this.
Old Dec 5, 18, 9:54 pm

Programs: Delta DM | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Thunderroad View Post
My wife and I will be flying LHR-SFO in business class on DL next year. A few questions:

1. Right now in terms of award availability for the day we need to fly, we're seeing going via MSP on a 767-300 versus going via ATL on a 330-300. My impression in looking at seat maps and youtube is that for a couple the 767 is a bit better, and if we decide not to sit together (for the sake of better seats and better snoozing) the individual seats right by the window in the 767 are also better. Do I have that right?
I would agree with @Worldtraveler727 as I too find the A330 D1 superior to 767. I find the seat more comfortable, you face away from the aisle and have ample room for your feet in the bed position. When traveling with a partner the 767 center two seats seem to feel closer making conversation easier than the center two seats on the A330 which require you to lean forward a bit but I would still pick the A330.

I actively avoid 767s when traveling in D1 unless I'm doing a solo transcon.
jalves likes this.
Old Dec 5, 18, 10:29 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG plat
The general consensus on flyertalk is that the A330 is much better.

Two points:

1) Award seats disappear fast, so you should buy right away.

2) The best way to do SFO-LHR would be on Virgin Atlantic, which you can use Delta miles on. Check the availability of that before you connect in MSP or ATL. The next best way, IMO, would be to connect in SEA or LAX, so that you maximize your time in lay flat seats. There have recently been very good Sky Miles rates on Virgin through SEA. If they are not coming up for you, try searching SEA-LHR, and then just buy a cheap Delta ticket SFO-SEA (it's critical that you fly DL on that route also in case of delays, so they will help you out). You could try the same for LAX.
Old Dec 5, 18, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS MVPG75K,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,SPG Plat,HH Gold,Hyatt Expl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks for these quick and very useful replies, folks. I should have mentioned that the availability at reasonable redemption rates I found was using Virgin rather than Delta miles, and that our actual point of origin would be Amsterdam but that I couldn't find anything from there to SFO (so have been planning on just getting a separate ticket for the short AMS-LHR hop). In any event, I'll take all of this into consideration and search/call again.
Old Dec 5, 18, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; DL Plat; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
1. 330
2. 330
3. 330

The prevalence of 767s with the sub-par Vantage seat in DL's fleet is one of the main reasons I decided not to chase DL status this year. The other being paucity of decent international options from SFO (as evidenced by your proposed ATL/MSP routings).
Old Dec 5, 18, 11:09 pm

Programs: DM, Marriott Life Platinum
Ribeye (A330) vs. Ground Chuck (767)

Nothing wrong with a decent hamburger, until presented with a perfectly-grilled Ribeye as an alternative.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 18, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
1. 330
2. 330
3. 330

The prevalence of 767s with the sub-par Vantage seat in DL's fleet is one of the main reasons I decided not to chase DL status this year. The other being paucity of decent international options from SFO (as evidenced by your proposed ATL/MSP routings).
Originally Posted by TheHorta View Post
Ribeye (A330) vs. Ground Chuck (767)

Nothing wrong with a decent hamburger, until presented with a perfectly-grilled Ribeye as an alternative.
330/330/330/Ribye...

I'm not sure I understand what you folks are trying to say. Do you recommend the 330?

Seriously, thanks for the input.
Kacee and TheHorta like this.
Old Dec 6, 18, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; DL Plat; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
I did just read your OP a little more carefully. Flying as a couple, there's at least an argument in favor of the 767 for the daytime return (assuming you can get two seats together in the center). For the overnight eastbound, 330 wins (in my book) by a large margin. It's a much better seat for sleeping.
Old Dec 6, 18, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks, Kacee.
Old Dec 6, 18, 1:14 am

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
It's a matter of personal preference. A330s have a larger IFE screen and are newer seats, but you can't watch IFE during takeoff and landing. 767s are more functional, smaller monitor - but you can watch IFE without having to stow away your screen, but the footwell is narrow. If you get used to it, though, it's perfectly fine. A330 and 767 each have their own pros and cons. To me it's almost interchangeable. I used to fly mostly on 747s, then A330s, then 767s. Now the order has reversed, and while I miss the 747, A330 vs 767 not much of a difference on DL. Different seats and setup, yes, but each has its own pros and cons.
Old Dec 6, 18, 9:02 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
A330 is a better seat and more up to date video monitor. The 767 is a low resolution, very old screen.
A330 has more space and is more comfortable in my opinion. I find the 767 to be tight.

MSP and ATL are both easy connection airports. Both have numerous dining and shopping options. ATL has more SkyClubs, including the F SkyClub with the SkyDeck.
Old Dec 6, 18, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCAproducer View Post
MSP and ATL are both easy connection airports. Both have numerous dining and shopping options. ATL has more SkyClubs, including the F SkyClub with the SkyDeck.
The MSP SkyClub is a disgrace. Escape lounge is better if you have Amex Plat.
Old Dec 6, 18, 9:34 am

The ATL routing is 750 additional miles, including 500 additional miles in domestic F.
My priority would be to minimize time in domestic F and overall travel time.
MSP for me.
Old Dec 6, 18, 10:33 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton
For a couple, I agree the 767 is better, as the seat configuration makes it easier to converse. The 767 footwell may or may not feel tight, depending on your shoe size. I wear size 8 shoes and have no issues with the 767 footwell. Being a daytime flight, if you're not planning to sleep much I wouldn't worry about the footwell.

Being an international to domestic connection, just under two hours is a bit tight especially at a busy airport like ATL - not much buffer room if your inbound is delayed. Of course, it's less of an issue if you and your wife both have global entry.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: