FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   2018 Elevate Your Status is Live (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1943772-2018-elevate-your-status-live.html)

davidviolin Dec 4, 2018 4:47 pm

Over $3000 for 12.5k mqm. Madness. I wish they would do away with this buying status game. Loyalty status is becoming less and less relevant.

Diamond here. #11 on upgrade list to F on FLL to ATL flight last i flew. Have only 25% upgrade success. Whats the point?

xliioper Dec 4, 2018 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by davidviolin (Post 30499313)
Over $3000 for 12.5k mqm. Madness. I wish they would do away with this buying status game. Loyalty status is becoming less and less relevant.

Diamond here. #11 on upgrade list to F on FLL to ATL flight last i flew. Have only 25% upgrade success. Whats the point?

$3000 is a non-trivial amount to most people. It's not like they are giving it away on the cheap. With prices this high, I have no problem with DL selling to the select few willing to pay the nosebleed pricing.

thoiboi Dec 4, 2018 6:51 pm

Has anyone bought up in the past and used a specific credit card? I'm wondering if it will trigger the RC travel credit or am I better off just using the Amex Plat for 5X (if it will even do that?)

aislepathlight Dec 4, 2018 6:58 pm

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...6bb18db135.png
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ea2cfcf92e.png
What I'm seeing.

wxman22 Dec 4, 2018 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ (Post 30497026)
Pretty sure poster was asking your current MQM/MQD/MQS levels. Usually, they have not made offers to people where the buy-up won't get them to the next status level. I'm quite sure it's not personal.

I think this is open to everyone. It's not like previous years in which you need to get an offer. But what table you get is dependent upon your current status. In my case I ma getting the same table the other PM are seeing, $3399 for 12, 500 MQM, even though I am 28,000 MQM short of DM.

As to why Delta is doing this, with the above table, DL earns from $2.39 to $ 0.27 per MQM for miles worth at best 2 cents. That's 10x to 100x markup, so, why would anyone wonder why???????????

bennos Dec 4, 2018 7:26 pm

I got the pricey offer, which of course I won't take up. This whole program reminds me of Jay and Duke watching a shoe bouncing in a dryer. "People watch this?" "They don't just watch it, they send it money."

wxman22 Dec 4, 2018 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by vincentharris (Post 30497313)
There is no amount DL could get me to just strictly buy MQM, I’d rather hop a transcon or transoceanic flight. Even with busy schedules I’m certain everybody could fly a day or two before the end of month. At least if I fly I could fly to LA for say in n out or to say Korea for some delicious bibimbap :) I guess the UK for fish and chips? :)

the experience is is worth the time and I know we could never find out but I’d love to find out how much DL makes per year off these offers. We all complain about ancillary fees but this has to be the creme de la creme of fees....

Exactly.

I flew LAX-PVG-SGN in I and J and earned: 13,132 MQM, 3,275 MQD each way for a RT ticket that cost $2032 on MU. So I paid $0.077 per MQM. Anyone who would take DL up on their buy up offer has far more money than time.

Gig103 Dec 5, 2018 12:21 am

Originally Posted by wxman22 (Post 30499752)
Exactly.

I flew LAX-PVG-SGN in I and J and earned: 13,132 MQM, 3,275 MQD each way for a RT ticket that cost $2032 on MU. So I paid $0.077 per MQM. Anyone who would take DL up on their buy up offer has far more money than time.

You also happen to be starting in one of the most competitive markets in the USA, so J fares (for the comfort + the MQM bonus) are way more affordable than from much of the country. I regularly drive/fly to LAX on separate tickets to get better rates in business class (usually $1800+ cheaper to go LAX-EU than PHX-EU). And to really make my point, out of Knoxville, TN (where I just went for work and where I have friends), the cheapest Skyteam business class to Saigon is $4393 (many of the flights were over $6000 in my test search). Those 19,000 base miles -> 28,500 MQM or $0.154 each, which is more than the same as the rate I was offered ($1599 for 12,500 MQM = $0.128). Yes the flight gets you a trip to Saigon and more MQD, but on a purely buy-up comparison sake it isn't the worst deal in markets where DL doesn't have to compete as hard.

Wimsta Dec 5, 2018 2:05 am

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...40ae22e40a.png

I'll make GM with flights already booked. With more than enough MQMs for PM.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...1baf6de593.png

But this is my offer and $1,599 wouldn't get me to PM anyway... I seriously need to search for MQD boosting tips...

wxman22 Dec 5, 2018 2:18 am

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 30500345)
You also happen to be starting in one of the most competitive markets in the USA, so J fares (for the comfort + the MQM bonus) are way more affordable than from much of the country. I regularly drive/fly to LAX on separate tickets to get better rates in business class (usually $1800+ cheaper to go LAX-EU than PHX-EU). And to really make my point, out of Knoxville, TN (where I just went for work and where I have friends), the cheapest Skyteam business class to Saigon is $4393 (many of the flights were over $6000 in my test search). Those 19,000 base miles -> 28,500 MQM or $0.154 each, which is more than the same as the rate I was offered ($1599 for 12,500 MQM = $0.128). Yes the flight gets you a trip to Saigon and more MQD, but on a purely buy-up comparison sake it isn't the worst deal in markets where DL doesn't have to compete as hard.

Yes, absolutely right,
In fact, I flew from JFK that day..
I was in NY and after i bought the LAX-SGN ticket, I then had to buy a ticket to from NY to LAX to arrive in time for my 12:30 p.m. departure on MU.
That cost me another $200.
But I was able to check my bag at JFK and it arrived in SGN right on time. Thanks Sky Team!

Also I'm really having to fly to SFO, SMF and NYC. I just connect thru LAX for the reasons stated above and luckily for now, the JFK-LAX and west coast routes are very competitive thanks to the Alaska Airline competition.
This only blows up in my face, when like last year I bought a one way SFO to LAX, TWICE, that I never used.

Lastly, off the topic, but DL's fares are considerably different overseas based on departing city and many times, it's contrary to common sense. For example, EWR or JFK to SGN via ICN priced at $1200 in coach (main cabin), but if departing from Scranton, it was $750 or thereabouts. And of course that Scranton plane dropped you in EWR to DTW on the same flight that prices out $500 more.
I discovered this worked exactly the same DTW-NRT-SGN versus AUS-DTW-NRT-SGN was $500 less.
Sadly for J fares this seems to work in the opposite ways,a s the smaller market is more expensive in J.

draxxusbg Dec 5, 2018 5:24 am

Elevate your Status

Will purchasing one of these packages trigger the Airline credits on the AMEX Plat/Aspire?

xliioper Dec 5, 2018 6:58 am

Originally Posted by wxman22 (Post 30499721)
I think this is open to everyone. It's not like previous years in which you need to get an offer. But what table you get is dependent upon your current status. In my case I ma getting the same table the other PM are seeing, $3399 for 12, 500 MQM, even though I am 28,000 MQM short of DM.

As to why Delta is doing this, with the above table, DL earns from $2.39 to $ 0.27 per MQM for miles worth at best 2 cents. That's 10x to 100x markup, so, why would anyone wonder why???????????

I'm getting a "You are not eligible" message, but I've already re-qualified for DM.

MSPeconomist Dec 5, 2018 8:27 am

Originally Posted by wxman22 (Post 30499721)

How do you figure that one MQM is worth at most 2 cents? These aren't the same as redeemable miles, where two cents might be a very rough approximation.

At two cents per MQM, DM would then be worth $2,250 per year, which one can get pretty easily from choice benefits alone: 4 GUCs used on TATL/TPAC flights, SC membership, a couple $200 vouchers, etc. YMMV.

GRALISTAIR Dec 5, 2018 8:56 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30501338)
How do you figure that one MQM is worth at most 2 cents? These aren't the same as redeemable miles, where two cents might be a very rough approximation.

At two cents per MQM, DM would then be worth $2,250 per year, which one can get pretty easily from choice benefits alone: 4 GUCs used on TATL/TPAC flights, SC membership, a couple $200 vouchers, etc. YMMV.

Agreed -my math may be wrong but I suggest at 125,000 MQM for DM and 15,000$ then rough math says at 10 cents per MQM is 12500 $ which is not enough for DM. But 12 cents per MQM gets you there. So I estimate an MQM is worth 12 cents. As I confess you can argue that my reasoning is not sound - or indeed my math.

MSPeconomist Dec 5, 2018 9:36 am

Informally I tend to look at the MQMs I earn per dollar (or the reciprocal, cost per MQM) on flights I want to take, including G A P and discounted D1 fares at times. As a hub captive with limited flexibility, I can't average anywhere close to ten or twelve cents per MQM. [I don't do MRs.] Depending on price, I'll sometimes choose a good premium cabin fare partly for those MQMs. Often the upcharge is a better deal for the MQMs than the cheapest reasonable ticket's coach fare for me.