2018 Elevate Your Status is Live

Reply

Old Dec 3, 18, 9:19 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SJC
Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Posts: 2,823
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
What are your current stats for the year?
PM
SJC ORD LDR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 18, 10:17 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC (LGA, JFK, EWR)
Programs: Delta Silver, AAdvantage Gold, SPG/Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards
Posts: 965
Here is mine (I currently have about 32,000 Delta MQM)

I am fairly certain I can earn about 40,000 MQM via flying next year. Given that does it make sense to purchase MQM
purely for the benefit of rollover? 20,000 rollover MQM plus 10,000 in Amex MQM would
get me close to Platinum next year without too much trouble.


Adelphos is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 18, 4:12 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tampa
Programs: Priority Club, Marriot Rewards, Delta Skymiles, AAdvantage
Posts: 27
Probably not a good financial decision but...

I ended up 234 MQDs short of making Silver. We always fly first class or Delta One (international) so we don't gain very much from the medallion program. But I wanted to meet the goal of silver so we could carryover MQMs for 2019. We are at the start of a 3 month southeast Asia trip so getting MQDs by flying would be hard.
So I bought the lowest cost package which included 1000 MQMs and 299 MQDs for $299.
I will have gold medallion status by the end of June based on already booked travel in 2019 (the return leg of this trip) and then another trip to Asia 2 months after we return.
davidlhanson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 18, 5:13 am
  #19  
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 12,518
Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
Here is mine (I currently have about 32,000 Delta MQM)

I am fairly certain I can earn about 40,000 MQM via flying next year. Given that does it make sense to purchase MQM
purely for the benefit of rollover? 20,000 rollover MQM plus 10,000 in Amex MQM would
get me close to Platinum next year without too much trouble.

Odd that they would make you an offer when you are 18,000 MQM away from Gold. I don't think they used to make offers to people when the buy-up wouldn't actually get them to the next status level.
LBJ is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 18, 5:18 am
  #20  
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 12,518
Originally Posted by davidlhanson View Post
I ended up 234 MQDs short of making Silver. We always fly first class or Delta One (international) so we don't gain very much from the medallion program. But I wanted to meet the goal of silver so we could carryover MQMs for 2019. We are at the start of a 3 month southeast Asia trip so getting MQDs by flying would be hard.
So I bought the lowest cost package which included 1000 MQMs and 299 MQDs for $299.
I will have gold medallion status by the end of June based on already booked travel in 2019 (the return leg of this trip) and then another trip to Asia 2 months after we return.
Very strange you would have an MQD shortfall if you are always buying FC and D1.
LBJ is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 18, 5:21 am
  #21  
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 12,518
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR View Post
PM
Pretty sure poster was asking your current MQM/MQD/MQS levels. Usually, they have not made offers to people where the buy-up won't get them to the next status level. I'm quite sure it's not personal.
LBJ is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 18, 5:25 am
  #22  
2018 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: MSN
Programs: Delta DM, Ritz PM, Hilton DM, Hertz PC
Posts: 1,663
Originally Posted by manacit View Post
As mentioned earlier in the thread, I believe offers are different depending on what tier you'd be buying up to (and maybe other options). It's not the same for everyone. I am seeing my figures on the Delta website.

Here's what mine looks like:



I may have just gotten a new prescription, but I am pretty sure there is nothing for $999.
We both got coals in our stocking. I have the same offer as you. I will meet DM this week, but as of now am 4K MQM short but have hit the spend. Nonetheless, I could get there for the "measly" price of $2,999. I hope this is a reflection on how they view the value of DM versus how they value me lol!
bergamini is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 18, 6:23 am
  #23  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tampa
Programs: Priority Club, Marriot Rewards, Delta Skymiles, AAdvantage
Posts: 27
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
Very strange you would have an MQD shortfall if you are always buying FC and D1.
We just started flying again in 2018. Just one domestic FC RT and one leg DeltaOne RT from Tampa to Singapore plus 10000 MQMs from initial bonus on new Delta Platinum AmEx card.
The return leg is in 2019.
davidlhanson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 18, 7:44 am
  #24  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,956
There is no amount DL could get me to just strictly buy MQM, Id rather hop a transcon or transoceanic flight. Even with busy schedules Im certain everybody could fly a day or two before the end of month. At least if I fly I could fly to LA for say in n out or to say Korea for some delicious bibimbap I guess the UK for fish and chips?

the experience is is worth the time and I know we could never find out but Id love to find out how much DL makes per year off these offers. We all complain about ancillary fees but this has to be the creme de la creme of fees....
vincentharris is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 18, 9:48 am
  #25  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: DL Diam 2MM, HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 4,742
I got the same offer as manacit and bergamini -- but will qualify for DM with a discounted MU ticket to TPE next week. The offer would get me the MQMs but I'd still be short on MQDs.
mot29 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 18, 10:19 am
  #26  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Posts: 3,923
Originally Posted by vincentharris View Post
There is no amount DL could get me to just strictly buy MQM, Id rather hop a transcon or transoceanic flight. Even with busy schedules Im certain everybody could fly a day or two before the end of month. At least if I fly I could fly to LA for say in n out or to say Korea for some delicious bibimbap I guess the UK for fish and chips?

the experience is is worth the time and I know we could never find out but Id love to find out how much DL makes per year off these offers. We all complain about ancillary fees but this has to be the creme de la creme of fees....
You can also fly to Austin, Las Vegas, or Phoenix for In n Out.
apodo77 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 18, 10:36 am
  #27  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Tahoe
Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Plat.
Posts: 126
I've got the same offer as a few others, starting at $2399 for 1000 MQM. I'm currently PM, with 4140 MQM needed for DM (having already made the MQD). I could easily fly 4140 MQM before the end of the year for far less than the $2999 I would need to spend for 5000 MQM. However, I'll probably book else where for my two remaining flights this year so I can roll over what I've got now.
TuxTom is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 18, 11:09 am
  #28  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 91
Originally Posted by apodo77 View Post
You can also fly to Austin, Las Vegas, or Phoenix for In n Out.
Last year, my toddler & wife joined me on a mileage/ hotel run to Austin from LAX. Skipped the In 'n Out, and instead enjoyed the vegan food. Earned Delta Gold, Marriott Gold and even Starwood Gold by extension.
jakers3200 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 18, 11:15 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Twin Cities
Programs: Delta DM 1.1MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA Life Member
Posts: 3,854
Originally Posted by manacit View Post
As mentioned earlier in the thread, I believe offers are different depending on what tier you'd be buying up to (and maybe other options). It's not the same for everyone. I am seeing my figures on the Delta website.

Here's what mine looks like:



I may have just gotten a new prescription, but I am pretty sure there is nothing for $999.
Originally Posted by bergamini View Post
We both got coals in our stocking. I have the same offer as you. I will meet DM this week, but as of now am 4K MQM short but have hit the spend. Nonetheless, I could get there for the "measly" price of $2,999. I hope this is a reflection on how they view the value of DM versus how they value me lol!
I got the same thing. In recent years I wasn't even eligible. As of today I'm still 3K MQMs short but I should end the year with about 155K MQMs.
yohanson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 18, 12:08 pm
  #30  
2018 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: MSN
Programs: Delta DM, Ritz PM, Hilton DM, Hertz PC
Posts: 1,663
Originally Posted by yohanson View Post
I got the same thing. In recent years I wasn't even eligible. As of today I'm still 3K MQMs short but I should end the year with about 155K MQMs.
This offer is basically a non-offer, IMHO. If I had $2,399 to get 1K MQM, I wouldn't need Diamond status. I could do MSN<>MSP in 3 hours for $400. That's so not an offer.
yohanson likes this.
bergamini is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: