Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

complimentary upgrades to Delta Comfort+ on international flights

Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1 MM, Platinum. Marriott-Hilton Gold

I have been a Delta Platinum for many years now. While flying international a few years back, I could book in main cabin and then change seat after ticketing to Comfort+. Then a couple of years back they stopped allowing Medallion members ability to change seat from main cabin to comfort+. I booked my ticket 3 days back in Main Cabin (V class) but I am not able to pick any seats in comfort+. As late as this year, there was a check box at the bottom of the booking page to request upgrade to comfort+. I do not see that either. Has there been a change to Delta policy to no more allow upgrade from Main cabin to comfort+ on Delta international flights? This is for a flight on 30th January.
thanks for responding.

Last edited by upnorth; Dec 3, 2018 at 4:52 pm Reason: grammar correction
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by upnorth
I have been a Delta Platinum for many years now. While flying international a few years back, I could book in main cabin and then change seat after ticketing to Comfort+. Then a couple of years back they stopped allowing Medallion members ability to change seat from main cabin to comfort+. I booked my ticket 3 days back in Main Cabin (V class) but I am not able to pick any seats in comfort+. As late as this year, there was a check box at the bottom of the booking page to request upgrade to comfort+. I do not see that either. Has their been a change to Delta policy to no more allow upgrade from Main cabin to comfort+ on Delta international flights? This is for a flight on 30th January.
thanks for responding.
It depends on the route. Basically, if DL sells C+ for a flight as one of the fare options, then you can get upgraded to C+ as a Medallion.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Does the flight have C+? If it only has PS then there are no complimentary upgrades for Medallions available.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Yes the flight from MSP to CDG for 30th January has 36 seats in C+ and only 5 seats were booked when I made my booking. In the new process do I have to call and make the request? I am unable to pick a seat in C+ (non clickable seats) and when I click on upgrade it just takes me to the seat map, but still does not show the occupied and empty seats in C+.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes the flight from MSP to CDG for 30th January has 36 seats in C+ and only 5 seats were booked when I made my booking. In the new process do I have to call and make the request? I am unable to pick a seat in C+ (non clickable seats) and when I click on upgrade it just takes me to the seat map, but still does not show the occupied and empty seats in C+.
It's a 777 with Premium Select premium economy seats according to the schedule. Medallions don't get complimentary upgrades to Premium Select. Delta does not have any C+ seats on this aircraft. They may have recently changed the aircraft and are still showing you the old seatmap. A new booking shows the correct seatmap. There are 6 rows of 8 PS seats (48 total) vs. the old 4 x 9 config for C+.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 3, 2018 at 5:13 pm
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

I booked the flight on Delta web site. My ticket is MSP-CDG (Delta) and then CDG-BLR by AF. AF does not allow upgrades to C+. But does recognize status and allows to pick preferred seats free of charge. No upgrade request anywhere on my trip details page. Generally it is there below each booking.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

But it does say above each flight - NOT COMPLIMENTARY UPGRADE ELIGIBLE
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
If the seats haven’t been released to upgrade inventory, you won’t get to pick them regardless of status, or at least that’s been my experience.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But it does say above each flight - NOT COMPLIMENTARY UPGRADE ELIGIBLE
I updated my post. Please re-read. You are not on an aircraft with C+ seats. It's a new config 777 with only PS seats now. Sounds like they may not have updated the seatmap they are showing you to reflect this. If you start a new booking for MSP-CDG on 1/30 you will see the correct seatmap for flight 42.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 3, 2018 at 5:24 pm
Original Poster

got it thanks much. This is new to me. Never had that happen. I will wait for a week and see. If not I will call Delta and ask.

I booked the flight on Delta web site. My ticket is MSP-CDG (Delta) and then CDG-BLR by AF. AF does not allow upgrades to C+. But does recognize status and allows to pick preferred seats free of charge. No upgrade request anywhere on my trip details page. Generally it is there below each booking.
As noted by the poster above.. this is a Premium Select flight. There are no C+ seats.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

I see the PS (Premium Select) seats are not free upgradeable for Platinum Medallion. Well, Delta has figured out a way to heavily dilute the value of Medallion status. I never cared for domestic upgrades. But C+ on international flights more than 7 or more was a great perk. Thanks Delta!
jamesteroh and RaflW like this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks LBJ, for solving the puzzle for me.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
PS is much better than C+, so the OP might want to investigate the price of an "upgrade" to PS in miles/money/both.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
PS is much better than C+, so the OP might want to investigate the price of an "upgrade" to PS in miles/money/both.
Is it though? J is an upgrade because it generally means you can sleep. I am a big guy but 18.5 inch seats (on a 9 abreast 777) with 35" pitch is not that much different than PS in practice. If it was 10 abreast to 8 abreast or 31" pitch (i.e. regular Y and not C+) to Premium Select then I'd be more inclined to agree.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.