Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta One LHR-DTW-LHR

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Delta One LHR-DTW-LHR

I'm flying LHR-DTW and back the following day in D1. I haven't flown for business in long time and have never flown Delta or been to DTW, so please excuse my ignorance.

1. Is D1 dine on demand?
2. Do crew in D1 make up the beds or is this a self-service affair?
3. Is the VS lounge at LHR still the best place to relax prior to departure? (I've not been there for about 10 years, has it changed a lot?)
4. Is the Detla lounge at DTW quiet and suitable to have a decent meal, shower, and change of clothes before boarding for DTW-LHR, so that I can sleep all the way back?

Thanks.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: DL DM
1. Express dining is offered on the flight for a "limited" number of D1 passengers. IDK if you can do it whenever you want. Typically (if I eat at all DTWLHR eastbound), I will take express because the flight is short.

2. Self service affair.

3. I love the Virgin Clubhouse. Great lounge.

4. In Detroit, the main SkyClub has showers. It is almost-always packed-to-the-gills. Your interpretation of a "nice" meal will determine what it is. Light lounge food with some entree-like selections.

Happy travels.
jsn55 and UrsusMaritimus like this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was in the VS Clubhouse at LHR earlier this year for the first time in about 10 years, and no, it hasn't really changed. (But yes, it's an excellent lounge, probably the best J lounge out there).
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bubbashow
1. Express dining is offered on the flight for a "limited" number of D1 passengers. IDK if you can do it whenever you want. Typically (if I eat at all DTWLHR eastbound), I will take express because the flight is short.
DL calls it "Dine and Rest" - the language on a recent menu was Delta offers a 'Dine and Rest' option in which your meal will be delivered at once, as a single service. Please inform your flight attendant if you prefer this option when making your entree selection. IIRC, you don't get the soup, and dessert is cheese and fruit.
Nothing indicates it's limited, although the more people that order it, the longer it will take and the more it will delay service for everyone else, but I'd be surprised (and really annoyed) if I was told I couldn't have it. There's also no indication that it can be requested on demand. I suspect there's a chance one could get a cooperative crew and they'd serve it later in the flight, but it would involve turning on the oven just for the one entree, as opposed to doing all the D&R entrees together and then the regular service entrees.
UrsusMaritimus likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
There is almost always a wait for showers at DTW so depending upon amount of time, it may not work for you.

The ClubHouse at LHR is the place to be. The burger is great! And they have a special version of Lanson that's aged a bit longer and is really good.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Dine and Rest is a pretty good option, especially for trying to sleep as much as possible on the way back to London. My wife and I used that option for MSP-AMS and were served our trays around the time the drink/dinner service for everyone else was just being started.

There are only two showers in DTW to my recollection; you need to ask at the counter at the top of the stairs (escalator?) and they will add you to the list. I got lucky on my last trip through Detroit and didn't need to wait but I could see how that queue could back up so don't delay in asking!

Welcome to Flyertalk!
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:25 am

If you want a quieter lounge, you can head one of the ones at the end of the terminal after getting a shower at the main lounge. They can still be busy, but really quiet down towards the end of the day, if your timing permits.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott, Kimpton
Assuming you are leaving LHR, I HIGHLY recommend using the Virgin private entrance at LHR when you return - it's quite an experience and no extra charge since you are D1. Just make sure to call and register the car tags of your driver/cab on the way and that will make everything smooth sailing, and you will feel like a true VIP.

Also, as a D1 passenger you will get a Fastpass through Passport Control which really makes life easier.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...lass-wing.html
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
It's not compulsory either to call ahead or notify them of the car registration to use the VS Drive Through Check In.

Though calling ahead to book a slot means they can have bag tags pre printed.

However, as nice as it is I wouldn't go out of my way to book a taxi just to use it if you were planning an arriving at LHR on public transport for example. Yu will still be able to use the private security channel even when checking in at the normal check in desks.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There’s something about pulling into the private drive that makes it feel special. You don't even have to touch your bag, they take it from the trunk (boot) for you. I haven’t used the private channel from the regular terminal entrance, though I’m sure that’s okay too.

The benefit of pre-registering the vehicle is that they just let you right in when you pull up to the gate (unless there’s another vehicle unloading, then they make you wait ), as opposed to having to verify your info over the intercom.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Re Virgin Clubhouse at Heathrow - any changes have all been positive. I have loved the Clubhouse since they opened it. My only negative has always been that the servers pretty much ignore solo females … the minute my husband shows up, they're all over him. Makes me smile … I want to snap my fingers as one goes by.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DTW only has showers at the big main SC in A concourse near the center train station, around gate 38-40. IIRC there are only two showers and there usually is a wait; one of the agents at the upstairs service counter (for rebookings, etc.) keeps the list. The showers are fine but note that there are no toilets in the shower room. Towels (including washcloth, shower mat, large bath towel, and smaller hand towel) are provided and there are big communical containers of rather nice shampoo and shower gel ( = liquid soap) etc. but the last time, I wasn't offered an amenity kit and it wasn't in the shower room, so be sure to ask before going in if you need a toothbrush, etc.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Welcome to FT, UrsusMaritimus -- come and learn some stuff and make some friends! You should get on the shower list as soon as you arrive, to try to beat the waiting time. While I would never call the SC quiet or relaxing, it's a fine place to recompose and settle down before the flight home.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the very helpful replies. I had forgotten about the VS upper class entrance at LHR! Is there a DL equivalent (and fast track security) at DTW?
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott, Kimpton
Originally Posted by UrsusMaritimus
Thanks all for the very helpful replies. I had forgotten about the VS upper class entrance at LHR! Is there a DL equivalent (and fast track security) at DTW?
I haven't flown into DTW from outside the US but if you don't have Global Entry you can download the Mobile Pass app which is free and approved by the TSA (and is sometimes faster than going through Global Entry in JFK sometimes).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.