Any plans for A330 refits in J?

Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA MPG, Marriott Plt
Any plans for A330 refits in J?

I just booked DTW-AMS in D1 for Q1 2019 and couldn't snag reasonably priced tix on the A359. Which then got me thinking if there are any plans to refit A333s with D1 suites. Can someone enlighten me?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
I sure hope not.. but most likely yes. Delta says that all widebodies will have Premium Select by 2021, so presumably the A330s will get their J cabin refurbished as well when they go in for PS installation.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:21 pm

In an August 2018 interview, Ed Bastian indicated that the Delta One suite is going across the entire international fleet 777s, 764s, running through the entire 767 fleet, and the A330s. The goal is to have the suite the standard Delta business class product by 2021.

​​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzxCNB3Xt4s
Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA MPG, Marriott Plt
I wonder what order they're going in. Is it 777, 330 then 767?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Gindernation
I wonder what order they're going in. Is it 777, 330 then 767?
It's been reported that the first B764, N828MH, should enter mods at CAN next month. I haven't heard when the first A330 will enter mods, nor where.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Originally Posted by audidudi
It's been reported that the first B764, N828MH, should enter mods at CAN next month. I haven't heard when the first A330 will enter mods, nor where.
Think the 764/763 fleet will go 1-1-1 across?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by SeaHawg

Think the 764/763 fleet will go 1-1-1 across?

I have no idea at this point. UA has done it successfully with their Polaris product which, with an agreement with the manufacturer, will not be used in any other American airline. UA's middle row seats are in a staggered formation, so if DL want to use a 1-1-1 config., then they would have to utilize a similar arrangement.

Last edited by audidudi; Dec 1, 2018 at 6:03 pm
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
What would be wrong with the current 1-2-1 setup on the 763/4, just with the pointless door slapped onto the side and called a "suite"? (And obviously refreshed IFE, etc.) It looks like the UA staggered 1-1-1 might be more space efficient, though.

More interestingly, I wonder what that would mean for the TCON markets, and in particular JFK-LAX, which relies heavily on the 76s. I'd be pretty happy if they started selling the W cabin as TCON PS or whatever.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by bennos
What would be wrong with the current 1-2-1 setup on the 763/4, just with the pointless door slapped onto the side and called a "suite"? (And obviously refreshed IFE, etc.) It looks like the UA staggered 1-1-1 might be more space efficient, though.

More interestingly, I wonder what that would mean for the TCON markets, and in particular JFK-LAX, which relies heavily on the 76s. I'd be pretty happy if they started selling the W cabin as TCON PS or whatever.
The Thompson Vantage used in the 767 fleet is almost universally panned (though I don't hate them). Given the size of Delta's fleet of 767s and how long they are going to have them, I think they are going to have to go 1-1-1 with the suite to stay competitive given AA's SuperDiamond and UA's Polaris seats.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
I think they shouldn't upgrade D1 on A330. It's currently Delta's best D1 seats. 767 and 777's D1 have a much needed upgrade.

I have been lucky enough to be in the A350 D1 Suites. When the excitement wears off, I don't think they are the best seats in the industry (best for DL, maybe) Other airlines' upgraded J seats like United Polaris, American's Flagship are all better. I am a small/medium framed guy and my elbows are banging against the wall in D1 Suites. Other airlines' upgraded J also have a great deal of privacy. The new reverse herringbone J with cleverly added divider can effective block views from passengers to other passengers, yet without feeling crammed together. I was on an EVA new 787 and no matter how I sit, I could not see any other passenger's head. No wall but great deal of privacy and it felt airy and spacious.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: Skypass, IHG
If you move every once in a while during sleep, Delta One Suite is not a good product. I hit below my knees so many time on a recent ATL - ICN A350 flight with a window seat that it was more like a confinement to me than a suite. There is not a good sleeping position, including sleeping on my side.

In addition, the big screen is too close to the face in my opinion.
ethernal likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.