Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why was I upgraded?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Platinum, Formerly UA 1P/Gold, Hilton Gold
Christmas day is a good day for upgrades ... lots of non-elites fly to vacation destinations (like HNL, OGG, MCO, SNA, etc), and medallions tend to stay home if they've already requalified for their 2019 status. We took the family to MCO a few years ago, and as a GM, I was 1/1 for 4 seats on the upgrade list - the plane went out with empty seats in F.

What fare class did you buy in? Given that your flight shows F3 Y0, and your upgrade occurred mid-week (i.e. not on a saturday), I am going to go out on a limb and suggest that your upgrade will stick.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by pauly_long
and medallions tend to stay home if they've already requalified for their 2019 status.

I really doubt this is true. I just think that most people want to get where they are going before Christmas day so there are smaller loads, including medallions, and medallions are perhaps not likely to wait for the cheap fares on Christmas day when they either know to purchase well in advance or can use with miles for expensive holiday travel.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by pauly_long
Christmas day is a good day for upgrades ... lots of non-elites fly to vacation destinations (like HNL, OGG, MCO, SNA, etc), and medallions tend to stay home if they've already requalified for their 2019 status. We took the family to MCO a few years ago, and as a GM, I was 1/1 for 4 seats on the upgrade list - the plane went out with empty seats in F.
Lots of Medallions stay home over Christmas because lots of Medallions are business travelers who simply aren't traveling over the holidays as business travel over Christmas is pretty minimal and then these people who travel on the road much of the year opt to stay home over Christmas. Or they may be traveling with their family but don't move up to FC because their travel size is more than themselves and one companion so they simply don't end up on the UG list and if traveling with a large family, may not opt to pay the premium for F for a whole family. I doubt it has much to do with "they stay home because they've already qualified for status". While many on FT will look to do mileage runs particularly on or over Christmas due to sometimes being able to find cheap fares, FTers as a whole represents a minority of travelers and even the segment of the FT population that would travel or Mileage Run over Christmas just for status is probably a very a small segment of the FT population. Most of us traveling over Christmas are doing so to go visit family or go on vacation over a time period where we have time off. Not to chase status.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:12 am

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
And yet my other half - Silver Medallion - was showing ahead of me - Gold Medallion who booked the flights - on the upgrade list when it became available.
I believe if you were on the same PNR, your companion would inherit your status for purposes of upgrade list order, so you'd have the same status and (presumably) same fare class, so it would go to some other criteria (check in order?) to determine who appears first on the list.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jasonl5
I believe if you were on the same PNR, your companion would inherit your status for purposes of upgrade list order, so you'd have the same status and (presumably) same fare class, so it would go to some other criteria (check in order?) to determine who appears first on the list.
When on same PNR each passenger still is issued their own ticket. While it may only be a second apart, one is issued before the other. Also if they have a reserve card, but you don't they go before you.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
When on same PNR each passenger still is issued their own ticket. While it may only be a second apart, one is issued before the other. Also if they have a reserve card, but you don't they go before you.
Nope. I have a Reserve Card. Mrs. ATOBTTR does not (well not one under her own account). Yet last year when I was a DM and she was a GM/PM and we traveled in Y, she still appeared ahead of me on the UG list (and she still hasn’t let me forget about it either )
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

Nope. I have a Reserve Card. Mrs. ATOBTTR does not (well not one under her own account). Yet last year when I was a DM and she was a GM/PM and we traveled in Y, she still appeared ahead of me on the UG list (and she still hasn’t let me forget about it either )
Does she have a reserve card issued on your/someone elses account? Your statement isn't clear on that, but makes it appear so.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Does she have a reserve card issued on your/someone elses account? Your statement isn't clear on that, but makes it appear so.
She has a Reserve that is attached to my account so she can access the SkyClub. She does not have her a Reserve attatched to her own account.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Inconsistencies in upgrade order, including within reservations where a lower level medallion is before a higher one, have been widely reported and discussed on FT.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
To follow up - I did manage to keep the upgrade; the flight went out nearly full. The flight remained 3FY0 until day of departure and at least 30 cleared the standby list. I guess I can count myself lucky and attribute the early upgrade to some sort of glitch for lack of a better explanation.
jmgriffin likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by Bretmd
To follow up - I did manage to keep the upgrade; the flight went out nearly full. The flight remained 3FY0 until day of departure and at least 30 cleared the standby list. I guess I can count myself lucky and attribute the early upgrade to some sort of glitch for lack of a better explanation.
Merry Christmas!
- Delta
Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Most of those who cleared standby were likely on basic economy tickets - which explains why it was Y zero (the seats had been sold, just not assigned yet) yet people cleared off of what seemed like the standby list
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Congratulations, that's an early Christmas present from Delta! Still, kinda odd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.