Search

Outlet etiquette?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:41 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by DCP2016
I own a portable battery and it's all well and good for phones and tablets but you aren't going to charge your laptop with it.
Well, if you have an old busted laptop, sure. New USB-C laptops can charge off of them, though.

In anycase, OP and most responders were specifically talking about USB chargers for phones and such.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I am still struggling to figure out the problem here. If there are two putlets and someone else uses one, that leaves one for OP. Perhaps a notional third passenger has an issue, but OP has not suggested this to be the case. Taken to an extreme, nobody should use the outlets ever.

Agreed that these things are best dealt with by a polite conversation. If that is worrisome, the cost of a dual adapter vs. a single adapter is so negligible as to be unimportant. In that case, the two outlets become three, four or whatever.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
If that is worrisome, the cost of a dual adapter vs. a single adapter is so negligible as to be unimportant. In that case, the two outlets become three, four or whatever.
Outlet count isn't a worry with phone chargers but laptops will often challenge total power delivery limits.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by BenA
If you want the best of both worlds, you can carry and use a cheap USB data eliminator that blocks the data pins from the connector and only allows power and ground to be connected. https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Universal-Charge-Only-Adapter-Android/dp/B00FA9GXKM/ is from a reputable company I trust, although I don’t own one myself so I can’t vouch for the specifics of the product.
Huh, this is a neat little dongle, thanks for recommending it. I see there's another one, the Porta Pow, which delivers 2A, but I like to charge my phone with only 1A anyways.

Seems unlikely that Delta is trying to steal your data, but it's small and inexpensive and easy to leave connected to my lightning cable. And it can be useful off the plane, too.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by daloosh
Seems unlikely that Delta is trying to steal your data, but it's small and inexpensive and easy to leave connected to my lightning cable. And it can be useful off the plane, too.
Less Delta, more some other third-party.
daloosh likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by tearex
Less Delta, more some other third-party.
Yep. While the threat surface is higher outside the aircraft, IFE is not known for being terribly secure. It is not unreasonable to be suspicious of an aircraft USB port.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
What is the outlet ettiqutte? I usually plug in a multi port USB charging cube .

Is it rude to sit down and plug in to charge with a single USB charger?

I am on a flight right now seated next to a guy who pushed his way to front of sky, shoved both his bags in the overhead and then plugged in to one of the two outlets

Seems rude to me but maybe this is common now?
My hunch is that the original complaint is that he got stuck sitting next to a rude, entitled passenger who made it abundantly clear that etiquette was for suckers (butting to the front of the line, hogging bin space and apparently hogging the power outlet). Part of the issue stems from the fact that there are typically 2 outlets for 3 seats.

Anyway, my read on the situation is it's first-come, first-served where outlets are concerned, but that proper etiquette also requires that you free up the outlet when it's no longer needed, especially if you observe that your neighbor needs it. There's no etiquette violation for plugging a single device into the outlet rather than using a multiple adapter.
The only real hard and fast etiquette rule I know of where outlets are concerned is that it's rude to use ALL the outlets.

One other point on the IFE USB ports: in addition to (valid) security concerns, those are low power ports. They'll recharge an average phone at a relatively slow rate, but they're too underpowered for tablets and large-format phones/phablets.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:53 am

First come first serve. Having status does have benefits and yes, that includes dibs on storage space (including bags that fit under the seat in front of you but you choose to use that space for your legs and feet), and a power outlet, period. And no, you have no responsibility to bring a multi plug outlet to share with seat mates. With that said, when your device is juiced, unplug it if the other outlet is in use. Presume someone wants access. After unplugging, if no one takes the outlet, then by all means, plug in device two if you want.
ATOBTTR likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by FF524
First come first serve. Having status does have benefits and yes, that includes dibs on storage space (including bags that fit under the seat in front of you but you choose to use that space for your legs and feet)
Yes, status does have benefit, however, my PM status is not sufficiently superior to your PM status that I get to muscle my way to the front of the SKY boarding line because I'm feeling particularly self-important today. At least, that's kind of the vibe I got from OP.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:23 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by reimero
Yes, status does have benefit, however, my PM status is not sufficiently superior to your PM status that I get to muscle my way to the front of the SKY boarding line because I'm feeling particularly self-important today. At least, that's kind of the vibe I got from OP.
Sure, those actions were douchey, but what does that have to do with the power outlets? Remember, OP is the one who chose the thread title and focused on that aspect.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:26 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I offer to share my charger and outlet when on those regional planes with one outlet per two seats in main cabin.......never had any issues. Isn't there also a USB port along with it too? So I'd be fine using that if someone else already took the main charger.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Some IFE systems actually try to connect to phones to allow you to display photos and videos onscreen, for example.

I really wish DL would offer this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DCP2016
I own a portable battery and it's all well and good for phones and tablets but you aren't going to charge your laptop with it.
Actually, with the proliferation of USB-C Power Delivery, this is now possible on modern laptops. RAVPower and Anker both make USB-C PD packs that are right at the aviation capacity maximum that can charge even a relatively hefty laptop for an extra couple of hours. I really enjoy traveling with mine and my HP Spectre X360, although the pack is indeed a bit on the chunky side so I assess whether to bring it based on the specifics of my flights and destination.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:29 pm

Whenever I travel I always bring this power cube with me:
Amazon Amazon

In my years of travelling in Y on flights with power outlets or in lounges with limited outlets the worst complaint I ever got from anyone was, "Can I plug in to one of your free usb or power outlets?" This should be a mandatory tool for any frequent traveller IMHO since it has ends that you can hotswap to one of the three most common power outlet plugs (UK, USA and EU).

Safe Travels,

James
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP

Actually, with the proliferation of USB-C Power Delivery, this is now possible on modern laptops. RAVPower and Anker both make USB-C PD packs that are right at the aviation capacity maximum that can charge even a relatively hefty laptop for an extra couple of hours. I really enjoy traveling with mine and my HP Spectre X360, although the pack is indeed a bit on the chunky side so I assess whether to bring it based on the specifics of my flights and destination.
My wife just bought an HP Spectre X360 on Cyber Monday, but has yet to unbox it. Can a regular (non USB-C) battery pack also charge the Spectre?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.