How much in advance can I drop off my luggage?

Old Nov 29, 18, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Delta Tupperware Medallion, National EE
How much in advance can I drop off my luggage?

On my next flight, I will have to check a few large heavy pieces of equipment. My flight leaves at 8 am, and I was hoping to drop off my equipment the night before. Just drive up to curbside, drop it off, drive away.

a) will Delta accept luggage ~18 hours prior to departure?

b) will this significantly increase the odds that said equipment will get lost?
Old Nov 29, 18, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
A)won't happen. You can only drop off same day with exception of a redeye that leaves right after midnight
B)doesn't matter as A won't happen
eric_o likes this.
Old Nov 29, 18, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

I was afraid of that. Thanks for the info.
Old Nov 29, 18, 3:44 pm

Most of the airports that I have checked at seem to limit to 4 hours before a domestic flight, though I did get one dropped 6 hours before once. Always same day for me, though.
Old Nov 29, 18, 4:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There are some exceptions in Asia, where for instance you can check in for a SQ flight from starting at T-48, while at HKK you can check bags at the airport express (Central and Kowloon) train stations anytime on the day of departure. You need a train ticket to do this, but I don't think anything bad would happen if you were to throw it away and get some other transportation to the airport.
Old Nov 29, 18, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
"Pull up curbside" has me thinking that this is a secondary US airport.

Presuming so, why not drop the bags on the way into the airport in the AM, then park your car and head in to the terminal?
Old Nov 29, 18, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
"Pull up curbside" has me thinking that this is a secondary US airport.

Presuming so, why not drop the bags on the way into the airport in the AM, then park your car and head in to the terminal?
Why would you think that? I can't think of a single major-city airport that I have flown out of that doesn't have some flavor of SkyCap type service. (not to say that one doesn't exist, but I genuinely can't think of one)

Edit: just realized that the OP didn't indicate what country they were in, and I assumed domestic US. If the question is international, disregard my comments.
Old Nov 30, 18, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
Why would you think that? I can't think of a single major-city airport that I have flown out of that doesn't have some flavor of SkyCap type service. (not to say that one doesn't exist, but I genuinely can't think of one)

Edit: just realized that the OP didn't indicate what country they were in, and I assumed domestic US. If the question is international, disregard my comments.
If you tried to pull up and leave your car while checking multiple oversize bags in and paying for them at any place other than a friendly local airport, you will assuredly have a problem on your hands. Try walking away from your vehicle unattended at IAD, JFK, ORD, or LAX and you will find out what I mean.
Old Nov 30, 18, 3:27 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
If you tried to pull up and leave your car while checking multiple oversize bags in and paying for them at any place other than a friendly local airport, you will assuredly have a problem on your hands. Try walking away from your vehicle unattended at IAD, JFK, ORD, or LAX and you will find out what I mean.
why... would you need to walk away from your vehicle?
jinglish likes this.
Old Nov 30, 18, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Just to clarify - I am flying domestic, leaving SJC. I would be using curbside drop off, so my car would not be unattended, arguably of course, but I doubt that I would get a hassle from the local authorities if I were to remain within a couple of dozen feet.
@Often1, I am considering dropping off in the AM, them returning the rental. I will probably drive to the airport this weekend and scope out the situation.

Search this Thread