Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Camera and microphone in the A350 IFE?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
Camera and microphone in the A350 IFE?

Okay, I spent ten minutes searching the Delta forum and found no other mention of this.
i had my first ride in the Delta Suite on the A350 just now.
Why is there a camera and microphone looking at me at my seat? I asked the FA and she had never noticed it before. When I first sat down, I thought maybe there was some feature the IFE provided that would use a camera and mic....like maybe I could call the FA and they could respond via video.
Nope.
It’s just a camera and mic, pointing at me....with no explanation as to why.
i think I’m bringing a little piece of electrician’s tape on my next A350 ride.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
There's a lot that can be said about A/V surveillance onboard commercial airliners flying internationally. Suffice it to say you should not do (or access!) anything on a commercial flight you wouldn't do if being watched in an open public space.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
It’s almost certainly a PIR motion sensor, not a camera. The IFE is designed to wake up and light up the controls when your hands are nearby. Think of it like the automatic sensors in a public restroom.

CPMaverick and Fly_Delta_Jets like this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
(That said, there has been some discussion of adding cameras to IFE systems eventually, for the purposes of scanning bar codes to easily pair smartphones as content sources or remote controllers. There’s also the occasional clickbait article about crazy ideas like facial recognition for sentiment analysis, but the business case for doing that isn’t there, and it isn’t happening onboard anytime soon.)
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
This has come up here before. My IT guess it's simply the fact that the IFE screens are really tablets and are just default built in even though not used. However the privacy side of me makes me tear a piece of napkin/magazine and put it between camera and the plastic shell.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: BAEC, VS FC, LH M&M, ANA Mileage Club
That's interesting if not slightly disconcerting to hear - does anyone have a photo?

I thought I saw something similar on the IFE during my recent trip in IB A330 Business Class but figured I must have been being paranoid ...maybe not after all
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:21 pm

IR sensors and cameras are very similar. That said the equivalent of our USA CIA in France is said to have monitored the audio in the First Class cabin long long time ago. So many easier ways to monitor people today with smart devices. Your phone is not your friend.
CPMaverick and windscar like this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I think it's interesting that people are concerned about this but not about giving DL biometric data such as fingerprints and images for facial recognition. As someone else mentioned, you shouldn't be doing anything in the D1 suite that you wouldn't want to be seen doing in public. Also, keep in mind that when you are in public there are cameras on you everywhere.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:54 pm

Delta uses a variant of the Panasonic eX1 IFE system with Panasonic's Eco monitors. They aren't off the shelf tablets but share architectural similarities and include light detectors and infrared proximity sensors, similar to what's present at the top of every iPhone or Android.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
I think it's interesting that people are concerned about this but not about giving DL biometric data such as fingerprints and images for facial recognition. As someone else mentioned, you shouldn't be doing anything in the D1 suite that you wouldn't want to be seen doing in public. Also, keep in mind that when you are in public there are cameras on you everywhere.
There are plenty of people willing to give DL biometric data, but I doubt its the same people expressing concerns over this. On my flight two weeks ago I had a very good reminder of why you need to be mindful of privacy and sensitive data. The guy in the window seat boots up his computer to do some work and the first thing the guy in the middle seats says to him is "What are you working on? It looks like a legal document. Are you a lawyer?" Its naïve to think that all of the information about you isn't out there already, but no reason to wrap it up and put a bow on it for the nefarious people/entities that desire it.
ryw likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
I just noticed the same thing on my flight yesterday (AMS-DTW). And it looks much more like a camera - as it looks 'lensed' unlike all other IR sensors I've seen, and it's too central with no controls near screen (like other newer IFE revisions: the A350 headphone port it beside you, and " nintendo " controller under arm rest..
Asked two stewards - both played ignorant . I did put a piece of luggage bag tag sticker over it.

Trying to attach pix...

Screen relation to suspect camera

Closeup of suspect
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
If someone wanted to watch people doing things, sitting in an airplane seat has got to be one of the most boring things I can imagine
HDQDD and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:40 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by BHammy
I just noticed the same thing on my flight yesterday (AMS-DTW). And it looks much more like a camera - as it looks 'lensed' unlike all other IR sensors I've seen, and it's too central with no controls near screen (like other newer IFE revisions: the A350 headphone port it beside you, and " nintendo " controller under arm rest..
Asked two stewards - both played ignorant . I did put a piece of luggage bag tag sticker over it.

Trying to attach pix...

Screen relation to suspect camera

Closeup of suspect
That's the motion sensor.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:06 am

Programs: DL, HH
Definitely not a camera, agree that it's likely a motion sensor. I'll be doing ICN-ATL in a few weeks, I should have plenty of time to play with it and see what it works. I don't recall seeing any microphone on my previous flights.

As for cameras, I've noticed the Chinese carriers have them facing the boarding door and the safety officer will usually make a few passes through the cabin making sure his body camera catches everyone.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:44 am

Programs: A3 *G & FB G
Originally Posted by Striple
Definitely not a camera, agree that it's likely a motion sensor. I'll be doing ICN-ATL in a few weeks, I should have plenty of time to play with it and see what it works. I don't recall seeing any microphone on my previous flights.

As for cameras, I've noticed the Chinese carriers have them facing the boarding door and the safety officer will usually make a few passes through the cabin making sure his body camera catches everyone.
Normally those cameras are for the pilots to watch the door.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.