Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Merging PNRs - is it possible, and if so, is it worthwhile?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon

I am flying SNA-ATL-LHR on Saturday (12/1) with my wife on DL2644/32. I have booked for myself a paid economy ticket, and used miles for my wife's ticket. These two were booked separately so are two complete bookings, So DL doesn't know about our relationship.

So, I have been upgraded to F on SNA-ATL already, my wife has no status so is stting in a different seat. (I have no problem letting her travel up front of course and me in her seat). On the second leg (I cannot see the load but no seats look available on the web site) I have a GUC on a waitlist.

Should I attempt to merge these two trips? If my GUC clears then she can have my seat, but if I merge the bookings will I lose the first segment F? I think because of using miles that ticket is not available to upgrade using a GUC anyway, but if combined maybe there's a way we can get two C+ seats. We'd definately like to sit together if both in the same cabin, but if there's a chance of my GUC clearing I would love to have her try D1 (she's never flown business and I'm OK down the back for once!).

Lastly, if I leave them separate, and there are seats in D1, what do you think the chance is of getting her a segment upgrade to D1 using miles (and when should I try to do this)?

Sorry for the complicated post but I am sure someone here's been through this.

Thanks!
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
No you can not merge PNRs. Also everyone on one PNR has to be booked in same cabin/fare class.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:37 am

Best bet is to talk to the gate agent. Smile and be nice. Recently had success get F upgrades for both of us in the exact same situation.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 1:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The only way to "merge" PNRs would be to cancel both tickets and then book both passengers together on exactly the same fare(s) for all segments. I'm pretty sure the OP doesn't want to do this.

You can call DL and ask the agent to link or cross reference the PNRs but this has no practical impact beyond perhaps being able to point it out when asking a GA to rebook you both onto the same flights.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks All...

I think Situation's advice is the way to go...
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
It would really be nice if the airlines would be more flexible and capable on this kind of thing . . . i.e., so that "the system" knows if two people are traveling together even if on separate tickets, and treats them as though they are on the same PNR for all relevant circumstances.

A common example (which has applied to me many times) is this: Husband and wife travel together on an outbound flight to see the wife's family, husband returns a few days before the wife does. So they have two separate tickets. Why not be able to "combine" the outbound travel (on which they are together) so that any premium benefits (e.g., preferred seats, upgrade eligibility) can extend to the lower status companion?

Another example (which I faced just last week): Person A and B (companions) are on the same ticket. Later, person C (daughter of person B) decides to join the trip and buys a ticket on the same flight. Person A is medallion, so medallion benefits extend to B, but not to C.

I could speculate on many other scenarios by which two people traveling together are not on the same PNR.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andrewk829
It would really be nice if the airlines would be more flexible and capable on this kind of thing . . . i.e., so that "the system" knows if two people are traveling together even if on separate tickets, and treats them as though they are on the same PNR for all relevant circumstances.

A common example (which has applied to me many times) is this: Husband and wife travel together on an outbound flight to see the wife's family, husband returns a few days before the wife does. So they have two separate tickets. Why not be able to "combine" the outbound travel (on which they are together) so that any premium benefits (e.g., preferred seats, upgrade eligibility) can extend to the lower status companion?
The example you give is exactly what we have. I am returning later on a different itinerary (MAN-AMS-ATL-SNA) as I managed to combine a business trip with the necessities of my mother-in-law's funeral.

Hence one is miles, one is paid (thankfully as both as last minute).
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Once a PNR is split (or there are two separate PNR's), unfortunately you can never merge them. Thus UG's will always be separate. You use to be able to "link" PNR's - presumably to help in cases of IRROPs. Also you could link and also get companion benefits (specifically C+ seating). These days DL agents seem less willing to accommodate a companion on another PNR. My guess is you have better luck with that (and companion UG's) at the gate.

The one exception I have had is using a GUC - I have been able to get a GUC applied for a companion on another PNR.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:11 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by tanglin
Thanks All...

I think Situation's advice is the way to go...
Except there will be a long upgrade list on SNA-ATL. If the GA values their job, no amount of smiling will make your UG-ineligible companion jump all the upgrade-eligible Medallions properly listed on the UG list.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Except there will be a long upgrade list on SNA-ATL. If the GA values their job, no amount of smiling will make your UG-ineligible companion jump all the upgrade-eligible Medallions properly listed on the UG list.
As a DM who flies SNA>ATL twice monthly, this is 100% the truth. Also, even on “off” days I buy F since there are rarely UG seats available. If I were in line for an UG someone handed out a sympathy UG to a non-medallion, I’d have more than a mild objection. Of course, I’d also never know, because that’s not something I can detect in the app.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by andrewk829

Another example (which I faced just last week): Person A and B (companions) are on the same ticket. Later, person C (daughter of person B) decides to join the trip and buys a ticket on the same flight. Person A is medallion, so medallion benefits extend to B, but not to C.

I could speculate on many other scenarios by which two people traveling together are not on the same PNR.
Every passenger has his own ticket. Multiple tickets can be booked into a single PNR. I don't know any carrier which tinkers with PNR's once the tickets are issued.because it is an administrative hassle, does not work across alliances and interline agreements, and thus would have to be unique to DL and available only on itineraries ticketed and operated by DL.

All of that to extend a benefit to someone who has not earned it. Bear in mind that if your wife gets a seat, there is some other elite who does not. So, it is a zero-sum game across the customer base and there are many who would argue that they ought to come ahead of anybody "inheriting" your status anyway.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Agreed - I wouldn't want that either (being one of those Medallions myself normally!) I'm not worried about the short hop though, she can have my seat or I'll downgrade.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:09 am

Agreed. The upgrade-ineligible companion should be at the very bottom of the UG list. It is a Saturday flight and those do tend to be much lighter upgrade lists and you can get some light loads, so there is more of a chance than normal, although still slim. I was the only medallion on my flight that I had success and there were 8 empty F seats for context.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Once a PNR is split (or there are two separate PNR's), unfortunately you can never merge them. Thus UG's will always be separate. You use to be able to "link" PNR's - presumably to help in cases of IRROPs. Also you could link and also get companion benefits (specifically C+ seating). These days DL agents seem less willing to accommodate a companion on another PNR. My guess is you have better luck with that (and companion UG's) at the gate.

The one exception I have had is using a GUC - I have been able to get a GUC applied for a companion on another PNR.
Called the medallion customer service line and had PNRs linked for companion upgrades before, it worked fine, but they go to the bottom of the UG list.
They will not give a companion upgrade even if linked if one is paid and one is reward so it won't help OP
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles DM
Originally Posted by mnredfox

Anyone have luck doing the same with RUCs?

My situation is that my ticket has to be purchased through company travel agent, while partner is buying her own. Also, we are leaving on different flights but coming back on the same one. She doesn't have status and would not get upgraded, so I wanted to apply RUC to both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.