Community
Wiki Posts
Search

End of year MQM options - credit cards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
So you are a Gold currently (through 1/31/19), and you have $3k in spend and 19k MQM?

That is very different, and I am not sure how I would choose to go. 6,000 MQM is quite a bit to be looking at with only 5 weeks left in the year. Especially if you don't already have some additional travel scheduled or some big spend already identified that you can move onto a card.

Good luck, whichever way you decide to go.
You nailed it! Hence the credit card route, with a $3000 spend in a couple weeks-- I can do that, as I have at least one large bill I can pay via credit card. It's that or have someone gift me their MQM bonus, which isn't happening.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

I ended up applying for the Reserve card. Not a great sign-up bonus (40K instead of 70K that sometimes occurs), but timing is everything. Will start off next year with 4K MQM in the bank, which will probably be enough to keep me "rolling" in Silver through 2020.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Coda: And hours later, Delta was providing the opportunity to buy MQM-- 5,000 miles would've cost $799. Almost double what the Reserve card will cost and without any of the ancillary benefits.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by jakers3200
Coda: And hours later, Delta was providing the opportunity to buy MQM-- 5,000 miles would've cost $799. Almost double what the Reserve card will cost and without any of the ancillary benefits.
If it makes you feel any better, my offer started at $2399 for 1000 MQM. I will be rolling over enough of those to cover at least gold. MQDs is where I struggled a little this year, but it looks like I will make it on 12/26, so... hard pass on the 2,300 bucks.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: Delta
I ended up applying for the Reserve card. Not a great sign-up bonus (40K instead of 70K that sometimes occurs), but timing is everything. Will start off next year with 4K MQM in the bank, which will probably be enough to keep me "rolling" in Silver through 2020.
I need to do this same thing, or a mileage run. Did they tell you that the MQMs would for sure credit this year and not in January? I called at Thanksgiving and was told it might not credit in time.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bigskyfarm
I need to do this same thing, or a mileage run. Did they tell you that the MQMs would for sure credit this year and not in January? I called at Thanksgiving and was told it might not credit in time.
The Amex rep I talked to said they would MQM would count for 2018 status, although they may not post until 2019 (and essentially backdated).
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Just an update. I hit the $3000 spend requirement with more than a week to spare (yikes for my spending), and the 10,000 MQM & 40,000 SkyMiles have posted. That's earned me Silver for 2019-- better than nothing! Actually had a late year flight, which has got me a little extra rollover miles & an opportunity to visit the lounge a couple times.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Upgrading from Delta Plat Amex to Reserve?

Is there a good thread out there on this? My search results weren't great (went through 5 pages).

I've had the Delta Plat Amex for 5+ years now. I just want to switch it to Reserve. My logic is ultimately as a DM I can swap the SkyClub choice to a $200 or 25K choice and that brings the cost of the card down to $250 ($450 - $200 Delta credit I can use towards a reimbursable ticket). I also naturally spend about $60K on travel so I can get the 30K MQM. This year I had to work at it to get up to 75K with a triple Amex MQM bonus that I presume I won't get.

I'm not the type to carry multiple Delta Amex's or do anything else the high rollers or manufactured spenders do. I keep a card with each of my preferred hotel / airline loyalty programs and then have a Best Buy card so I can get interest free on appliances or electronics.

Anyway, my card anniversary is in October on the Plat Amex and I want to call after 1/1 (to not cause any risk to my already posted triple MQM bonus). Here are my assumptions. Are they correct?

1. My $95 Plat annual fee will be pro-rata refunded. My $450 Reserve fee will be pro-rata charged.
2. My un-used companion ticket from Plat Amex that posted in October will still be good
3. My credit limit and all that will stay the same

Are these safe assumptions? I guess I could close the Plat and do a new Reserve but I don't like to run up inquiries or create any risks. They've also put my limit on the Plat way higher than it should be and I like that because in the event I do have an interest free purchase holding on my Best Buy then my utilization is still like 1% because of how high this limit is.

If you know of a better post for me to follow on it, let me know. Sorry, I tried to find.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:45 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Your assumptions match my experience from a few years back, except that the Platinum SkyMiles card has a $195 annual fee.

(I have since downgraded back to the Platinum SkyMiles card after replacing the Reserve with a regular Amex Platinum to get more lounge access.

ETA: also your card number will stay the same, but you'll have a new expiration date and CVV code.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
See post #8 .
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mnbp
I upgraded my DL Plat Amex to DL Reserve Amex. Anniversary stays the same, and the new Reserve annual fee was prorated based on my existing anniversary date. The new Reserve prorated fee posted about 30-45 days after I did the upgrade.
Did you have an open companion certificate? Did you have any boosts you had hit or anything?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by bergamini
Did you have an open companion certificate? Did you have any boosts you had hit or anything?
I kept the Amex DL Plat MQM boost I had already earned, and started (and subsequently earned) another MQM boost from the Reserve.

I cannot definitively answer about the open companion cert, as I tend to book mine within a week of the cert becoming available. However, you earned that cert by holding the DL Plat card for that full year ending in October, so why should they try to claw it back if you now decide to upgrade DL Plat to Reserve? Assuming you upgrade DL Plat to Reserve, your anniversary stays the same, and at that next anniversary date you'll receive another companion cert. So you are only getting one cert per anniversary year - no reason for Amex to try to claw a cert back.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: Delta
Credit hit yesterday !

The Amex rep I talked to said they would MQM would count for 2018 status, although they may not post until 2019 (and essentially backdated).
Thanks so much. The mqms hit yesterday. I’m currently flying my last trip of the year ATL to BOS. Now .... if I want to get an Amex reserve in 2019 for increased mqms , how long should I wait ?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:30 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by bergamini
Is there a good thread out there on this? My search results weren't great (went through 5 pages).
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...arry-over.html

in particular the posts from iflyalexair.
bergamini likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.