Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL announces USA's first biometric airport terminal : ATL F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL announces USA's first biometric airport terminal : ATL F

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by vincentharris
Money, either in credits or reduction in some tax or something.

No way DL is doing this "out of the goodness of their hearts" without some financial incentive.

Recall that DL own a substantial (but minority) interest in CLEAR. To the extent they can sell CBP on CLEAR they are certain to reap benefits.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
CLEAR works perfectly for me in security almost all the time. It works almost never for SC access - granted, I stopped trying it at all several months ago.

I understand others' concerns about biometrics, but I've had to submit to so many background checks and biometric captures in my life that I've stopped worrying and just enjoy the efficiency. My data is out there in enough places and formats that anyone who really wants it can get it. I might as well enjoy a few perks in the meantime.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by kenn0223
Recall that DL own a substantial (but minority) interest in CLEAR.
Does it? Delta is acknowledged as a partner - along with Hertz, among others. There's a reference to investing in the highly successful automated screening lanes but not in the firm.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Does it? Delta is acknowledged as a partner - along with Hertz, among others. There's a reference to investing in the highly successful automated screening lanes but not in the firm.

Yes, Delta owns about a 5% stake in CLEAR.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:09 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by ethernal
While international boardings to widebodies are less aisle constrained than domestic narrowbodies, this will not speed up boarding because the bottleneck is on the plane and not the gate.

The privacy policy is feel good nonsense. CBP deletes the raw image, but not before they have processed it and added it as a "template" for future facial recognition. These templates are - for all intents and purposes - the same as the photos and they could easily be reconstructed back into models of your face. Some finer details (e.g., hair) is lost but it is still a "photo" of you stored in perpetuity.

This is all anti-consumer authoratarian nonsense. I am disappointed Delta is so quick to comply with DHS thugs and disrespect its customer's privacy.

Welcome to the brave new world.
But it's OK that Facebook and Google are making gobs of money off all of your "private" information and I guarantee that they have more "biometric" information on you then the CBP ever will.

It's the world we have now, whether we like it or not.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Mrs. ND76 and I got our photos taken at gate F4 last night during our reroute IAD-ATL-LHR (we were originally on the VS nonstop, which was cancelled). It was quick and easy.

CLEAR is getting better and better, BTW. I did the eye scan at IAD yesterday afternoon, and it worked perfectly. At the SkyClubs that I visited last year, the finger identifications were slow, but they did work.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by gooselee
CLEAR works perfectly for me in security almost all the time. It works almost never for SC access - granted, I stopped trying it at all several months ago.

I understand others' concerns about biometrics, but I've had to submit to so many background checks and biometric captures in my life that I've stopped worrying and just enjoy the efficiency. My data is out there in enough places and formats that anyone who really wants it can get it. I might as well enjoy a few perks in the meantime.
Agreed. I even had to have blood tests etc for my Green Card.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DL is bringing facial recognition to MSP for international boarding. The machines are arriving about now and will be in use within about a week or a month. It's optional/voluntary form passengers, but DL claims that more than eighty percent of applicable passengers opt in and like it.

Some idiot on the local TV news was saying that now we won't need passports for international travel. I hope no one pays attention to that advice.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
DL is bringing facial recognition to MSP for international boarding. The machines are arriving about now and will be in use within about a week or a month. It's optional/voluntary form passengers, but DL claims that more than eighty percent of applicable passengers opt in and like it.

Some idiot on the local TV news was saying that now we won't need passports for international travel. I hope no one pays attention to that advice.
I learned at a meeting about a week ago that once the airlines have fully implemented Biometric Facial Recognition CBP will also adopt it, replacing the kiosks, including Global Entry, to use that form of screening. It will not eliminate passports, but it will replace fingerprint IDs.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:15 pm
cc2

Last week when using the GE machine upon landing at DTW, I didn't need to scan my passport. It just told me to stand back and take a photo. Then my name and flight info came up. I got the receipt and handed it to the officer to leave. Though it was in my hand, no one took a look at my passport. The future is here.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by cc2
Last week when using the GE machine upon landing at DTW, I didn't need to scan my passport. It just told me to stand back and take a photo. Then my name and flight info came up. I got the receipt and handed it to the officer to leave. Though it was in my hand, no one took a look at my passport. The future is here.
Had this same experience several months ago at MCO.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
Had this same experience several months ago at MCO.
+1 MIA
Old Jun 21, 2019, 1:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DL had it up and running to board flights yesterday at MSP. I was a bit surprised that the GA didn't verify that I had my passport with me.

ADDED: Unlike the procedure I experienced in ATL, at MSP I was given a little ticket with my seat assignment even though I had my boarding pass in hand. The machine was apparently set up to print the seat assignment tickets for everyone.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jun 21, 2019 at 9:24 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.