Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ATL gate agents are becoming increasingly unpleasant

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL gate agents are becoming increasingly unpleasant

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Instead of what? Giving you a taxi voucher for ATL to LGA???? What alternate airport would you have them send you to?
Instead of what happened to me last time in ATL - was put on the standby list for the next flight and then despite being #1 on the list for 2 seats at the end of boarding - the GA decided to clear 2 parents and a child lower on the list because she "felt bad for them, they have a kid"

This is after I checked in with the GA at T-50 to let her know I was there and waiting for a seat. She confirmed I was #1 on the list, and still didn't clear me. They called a Red Coat, but shut the door after the family, and the Red Coat arrived a few minutes later, and all he could do was apologize...
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Instead of what happened to me last time in ATL - was put on the standby list for the next flight and then despite being #1 on the list for 2 seats at the end of boarding - the GA decided to clear 2 parents and a child lower on the list because she "felt bad for them, they have a kid"

This is after I checked in with the GA at T-50 to let her know I was there and waiting for a seat. She confirmed I was #1 on the list, and still didn't clear me. They called a Red Coat, but shut the door after the family, and the Red Coat arrived a few minutes later, and all he could do was apologize...
I hope you insisted on more than a verbal apology for that one.

I also hope that the redcoat had the GA retrained and/or disciplined for deliberately violating DL policy at the expense of an elite customer. This is like stealing from one's employer, even if the GA wasn't friends and family with the parents and kid. [It's still theft if you hand the stolen items to some stranger whom you have unilaterally decided to be deserving.] Besides, lots of single parents travel alone with a kid, as do halves of couples who are together but not for some particular flight.

It would have been costly, but IMO this is one of the rare cases where the flight should have returned to the gate, opened the door, and replaced the parents and kid with #1 and #2 who should have been boarded onto the flight. I'd suggest billing the GA for the expense, but I don't think employers are allowed to do that in the USA.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:25 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I hope you insisted on more than a verbal apology for that one.

I also hope that the redcoat had the GA retrained and/or disciplined for deliberately violating DL policy at the expense of an elite customer. This is like stealing from one's employer, even if the GA wasn't friends and family with the parents and kid. [It's still theft if you hand the stolen items to some stranger whom you have unilaterally decided to be deserving.] Besides, lots of single parents travel alone with a kid, as do halves of couples who are together but not for some particular flight.

It would have been costly, but IMO this is one of the rare cases where the flight should have returned to the gate, opened the door, and replaced the parents and kid with #1 and #2 who should have been boarded onto the flight. I'd suggest billing the GA for the expense, but I don't think employers are allowed to do that in the USA.
Its hilarious how - especially in ATL - they love saying "sorry the standby list closes 30 mins before boarding" then clear people out of order at whim

Red Coat in ATL was more worried about documenting the record with a phone book of notes explaining why she gave me a measly $100 voucher, which I said was not enough. She printed the 800 # Customer Care slip on a boarding pass and walked away.

DM Desk was shocked and immediately offered another $200. Agent said I should ask for $600 for IDB, but that she could not issue it and the airport would have to. I was wiped from the standby debacle and just wanted to get to my destination, and focused on that. I would have preferred they kept the funny money and boarded me on the previous flight because I REALLY needed to be at my destination.

Went to gate of next flight to check in again. Same concourse, but other half of it - in ATL, Red Coats work half of the bigger concourses. There was a Red Coat at that gate who assisted me when I went to check in to let them know I was #1 standby on there (the last Red Coat wouldn't confirm me on thr next, despite the flub.)

She asked me why I was rolled onto my 3rd flight now as DM. Gave her the summary - she was shocked and 100x better than the Red Coat at the last gate. She immediately confirmed me, said I was the only DM on the UG list, and also immediately upgraded me. She was wonderful, and I only wish she worked the previous gate.

Next time I connected in ATL, I asked for the Concourse Manager of that Terminal. He was very nice and thoughtful, and I complimented the last Red Coat and let him know what the gate agent did to my standby. He took it all down and said he would personally follow up, and also thanked me for my compliments. I most care about them preventing these issues from RECURRING - I don't want funny money, I want to get there on time.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:33 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO the $600 (isn't it now a bit more) for an IDB would be appropriate, even if this technically isn't an IDB.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:23 am

Had a encounter with a worthless GA yesterday morning.

Arrived early in ATL and wanted to catch an earlier flight to my destination. I only had to make the hike of 13 gates to get to the departure gate for the earlier flight. I arrived at the gate 30 min. prior to departure, the board stated that they were boarding all zones and the GA was leaning on his hands against the wall. I walked up and greeted him and he looked at me and said "what do you want?". Never had this greeting from a GA in ATL before so it kind of shocked me. I explained that I was on the later flight (3 hours) and I would like to see if there was a seat available on the early flight. He looked at me ans told me I would have to go to the Delta service center (right next to the gate I was at) and he could not do anything. I told him that at T-30 I had always had to go the the gate and the GA had control. He told me again that "I', mot making any changes you have to go to the service center."

I walked to the service center and they told me that it was to late to change the flight. I looked at the agent and said it was T-25 and the plane was just sitting and the door was open why was it to late. Another agent looked at me and said to step over to her computer and she would help me. As the second agent helped me the first went back to talking to the agent next to her about the zipper on her "new" sweater setting off the TSA alarm this morning(more important than helping a customer I guess). The second agent made the change for me and I walked back to the gate.

The GA looked at me and said "Glad you could get the flight changed". I lost it at this point and looked at him and said "no thanks to you". Then I turned and walked down the boarding ramp. When I got on the plane MD-88 there were only about 40 people on the whole plane.

Never had such an attitude from a GA, anywhere, in any country
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by stillontheroad
The GA looked at me and said "Glad you could get the flight changed". I lost it at this point and looked at him and said "no thanks to you".
^
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:32 am

Arrived early in ATL and wanted to catch an earlier flight to my destination. I only had to make the hike of 13 gates to get to the departure gate for the earlier flight. I arrived at the gate 30 min. prior to departure, the board stated that they were boarding all zones and the GA was leaning on his hands against the wall. I walked up and greeted him and he looked at me and said "what do you want?". Never had this greeting from a GA in ATL before so it kind of shocked me. I explained that I was on the later flight (3 hours) and I would like to see if there was a seat available on the early flight. He looked at me ans told me I would have to go to the Delta service center (right next to the gate I was at) and he could not do anything. I told him that at T-30 I had always had to go the the gate and the GA had control. He told me again that "I', mot making any changes you have to go to the service center."

I walked to the service center and they told me that it was to late to change the flight. I looked at the agent and said it was T-25 and the plane was just sitting and the door was open why was it to late. Another agent looked at me and said to step over to her computer and she would help me. As the second agent helped me the first went back to talking to the agent next to her about the zipper on her "new" sweater setting off the TSA alarm this morning(more important than helping a customer I guess). The second agent made the change for me and I walked back to the gate.

The GA looked at me and said "Glad you could get the flight changed". I lost it at this point and looked at him and said "no thanks to you". Then I turned and walked down the boarding ramp. When I got on the plane MD-88 there were only about 40 people on the whole plane.

Never had such an attitude from a GA, anywhere, in any country
I hope you'll report this to DL. Their records permit them to identify the GA even if you didn't get a name, although sometimes a physical description of the person serves to confirm who did it.
Spiff likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I rarely have a bad experience with GA at ATL or anywhere else. But I am a very charming individual, so that helps.

I have gotten yelled at by a gate agent in FRA once. I think LH. I simply doubled the charm offensive and won them over.
golfr likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
There are enough people on this board who transit ATL on a regular basis that if everyone filed a complaint for a poor GA interaction and issued a JWD for a good GA interaction, DL would at least be equipped w/ some data to start making some informed employment decisions... Instead we just come here and complain into an echo chamber. This is one reason I love FT!
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I've had a similar encounter at DCA. Neither station has great GAs unfortunately, especially when it comes to SDC/SDS.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:17 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I rarely have a bad experience with GA at ATL or anywhere else. But I am a very charming individual, so that helps.
same
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by k5xs
I was actually just this week lamenting the surly mood of so many ATL agents.

To be sure, I run into a few VERY mice and helpful people, but having flown through ATL at least twice each week for the past eight years, I have noticed a deterioration in the general mood of gate agents. I'm nice, I'm not demanding, and I am still met with grumpiness more than I ever have been.

And to me, the SkyClub people are sometimes warm, but more often aloof and downright pretentious.

But live and let live. I doubt any other carrier is any better.
Hi, I need a little bit more information:

I know that you said that you run into very few mice, but why should there be mice at all? It's not like they have to come inside and get out of the ATL cold.

You said that you run into a few very mice and helpful people. Are you implying that the mice aren't helpful? If so, what separates a mean mouse from a nice mouse? Are the mean mice the ones that paint a mouse hole in the wall and then run through it when they're being chased by cats, causing the cats to run into the wall? Because I've seen that happen on one of those nature shows with a mouse named Jerry. Were any of the mice named Jerry? If so, that would have been cool. How does one interact with a mouse, anyway? Do you speak Mousian?

You mentioned the SkyClub. Were the mice in there? If so, that's probably a health hazard.

Thanks,
Mike
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:17 pm

started drinking already?
lowmiles likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:11 pm

I have sent DL an email describing the event and also noted the GA's name and a picture of his badge. He did not even realize that I took the picture of his badge as he scanned my paper boarding pass. DL has all the information they need but I bet there will be nothing done and it is just written off as a customer having a bad day!

I also sent the name of the service agent that was so helpful in getting the change made. Got to give credit where credit is due as well as the negatives
lowmiles likes this.

Last edited by stillontheroad; Dec 13, 2018 at 8:10 am Reason: Additional Info
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Chick FIl-A Red Member
My experiences with ATL gate agents have always been so-so. To me, anything above a simple seat change or bag-check has always been met with subtle (and at times not so subtle) exasperation. That being said, there is the occasional superstar in ATL. One time, VIPER Cancels had rebooked me onto a flight departing TWO DAYS from when the flight was cancelled (while I was in the air). I went to the gate agent who was manning the arrival/departure of the next flight and showed her what happened. Her colleague graciously called the ticket reissue desk right from the gate and got it taken care of. This spared me a trip to one of the Service Recovery centers/a call to the PM line.

In my humble opinion, the best Delta service I've ever had is a tie between BOS and MCO. The gate agents there just have this 'energy' about them... it's hard to describe. I've never encountered an unpleasant agent in both locations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.