Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Best way to fly to BKK comfortably and affordably???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to fly to BKK comfortably and affordably???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
YYZ and YUL can also have pretty competitive fares including those that go via Europe (e.g., YYZ - CDG - BKK, YYZ - HEL - BKK, YYZ - ZRH - BKK, etc.) which allows you to avoid the Chinese carriers if needed.

Downside is going via Europe usually includes a lengthy layover since NA - Europe is a redeye and then Europe - BKK is a redeye the following night -- and personally I find going via Europe to Asia kills me from a jetlag standpoint.

Have you looked at award availability across the carriers and considered buying UA / AA / AS / etc. miles and doing a mileage ticket? Worth doing the math, it can be cheaper and provide better options (say NH via NRT or CX via HKG) than the straight cash ticket.

Last edited by Duke787; Nov 27, 2018 at 12:24 am
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Duke787
Have you looked at award availability across the carriers and considered buying UA / AA / AS / etc. miles and doing a mileage ticket? Worth doing the math, it can be cheaper and provide better options (say NH via NRT or CX via HKG) than the straight cash ticket.
Good suggestion.

IMO, CX via HKG is the best BKK routing from the west coast, with BR via TPE close behind. CX is a difficult award these days, but BR still has decent availability.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by Tomphot
I've been watching China Eastern seats out of LAX with a 2 hour layover in PVG then on to BKK. $2,400 RT on the 777 with lay flat and 1-2-1 cabin.
I've been watching the west coast market, as well as JFk to SEA for much of this year in Business.

LAX is consistently the cheapest on Sky Team.
Air China non ST.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:14 am

What's your departure city. It might be possible to get a one-stop from there, which will be the best option by far. Trust me, even prem. econ/econ is better if its faster than a long multi-stop business flight.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DPOPE74
I would appreciate anyone that has more expertise to help me out, I am planning a surprise trip for my parents to Thailand for their 45 year anniversary gift....on short notice....from anywhere in the U.S. (I can get them to departure city with my miles) - destination BKK (Thailand) on business class, preferably a flat bed...they have always wanted to go there and they so much deserve it! Any and all help would be so much appreciated!!! Looking it up some of the prices were outrageous and I know it can be done for less....thanks in advance!!!
Since this is posted in the DL forum, do you want to use DL or SkyTeam?

Also, since the parents would be traveling together as a couple, do you want seats where they'll be able to talk with each other during the flights? That's not possible on many aircraft with flat beds.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
There are lots of suggestions to minimize the arduousness of the journey, which should be an important consideration. Looking for business awards for two with travel dates imminent is not a trivial task. Unless you're really familiar with SkyMiles partner carrier networks and the nuances of Delta award search I will recommend use of a paid award finder service.

Award booking services - a list and some reviews

If you want a primer on Delta award booking start with the Wiki here: Booking Delta Award Tickets, 2015 on
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
What's your departure city. It might be possible to get a one-stop from there, which will be the best option by far. Trust me, even prem. econ/econ is better if its faster than a long multi-stop business flight.
Agree departure city is important here. Knowledgeable FTers can then give far more relevant advice.

I don’t necessarily agree with the second point however. If OP is able to pre-position his parents to another city the day before and arrange hotel accommodation, then that can become part of the holiday experience. Followed by a one-stop in (hopefully) lie-flat J.

When flying long haul J, I feel it really becomes part of the experience, something to enjoy. Whereas even with Premium Economy, it is something to tolerate before the proper holiday starts.

All my own option of course. 🙂

Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
You mentioned “short notice” so I did 12/8-12/18 from ATL>BKK. I think this is a solid deal, and it’s in Delta ONE.

I mean, they are your parents and they did give you your life, so say it like you mean it.

Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bargain!
(Surely there are around-the-world fares that are much cheaper than this...)
TheHorta likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Bargain!
(Surely there are around-the-world fares that are much cheaper than this...)
Possibly, but by doing it my way he’ll also be granting his beloved parents FO status, and nothing says “I love you, mom and dad!” quite like FO.

Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
A coworker just did KE thru ICN a couple weeks back. Fares were pretty good even for 2 one ways and a few weeks out. May want to look at their business fares.

He said the connections at ICN were very easy and the service was pretty good even for Y.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Superguy
A coworker just did KE thru ICN a couple weeks back. Fares were pretty good even for 2 one ways and a few weeks out. May want to look at their business fares.

He said the connections at ICN were very easy and the service was pretty good even for Y.
This would be my suggestion for SkyTeam as I wouldn't want to put my parents on a mainland Chinese carrier or have them connect at PVG/PEK (where delays are common) but we don't know what the OP considers to be affordable. IMO the downside is that the KE lounges in the new ICN terminal are very disappointing. Also, depending on aircraft type, not all KE business class seats are true flat beds and AFAIK some 2-3-2 configurations are still flying, especially on intraAsian routes.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: DL DM&MM, DL KMwannabe, HH, AA, TG,
Totally agree with MSP. One ways JFK-ICN-SEA OR REVERSE are around $3k one way with a couple weeks af advance. 380 Business are all comfy lie flats, with a cocktail lounge at each end (one with good bartenders) that will be yet another unique experience for your folks! Booking ours to,orrow!
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This would be my suggestion for SkyTeam as I wouldn't want to put my parents on a mainland Chinese carrier or have them connect at PVG/PEK (where delays are common) but we don't know what the OP considers to be affordable. IMO the downside is that the KE lounges in the new ICN terminal are very disappointing. Also, depending on aircraft type, not all KE business class seats are true flat beds and AFAIK some 2-3-2 configurations are still flying, especially on intraAsian routes.
I would choose CI via TPE over KE via ICN, though both are decent options. The biggest issues with these routings are (i) many KE aircraft (esp 380) have undesireable J seats, (ii) KE sometimes requires a long layover at ICN, and (ii) CI has limited lie-flat flights TPE-BKK.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Steve007NY
Totally agree with MSP. One ways JFK-ICN-SEA OR REVERSE are around $3k one way with a couple weeks af advance. 380 Business are all comfy lie flats, with a cocktail lounge at each end (one with good bartenders) that will be yet another unique experience for your folks! Booking ours to,orrow!
One way JFK-ICN-SEA? Is this a typo for JFK-ICN-BKK? Or do you mean an open jaw ticket from JFK to ICN and then ICN to SEA, to be combined with a separate RT ticket between ICN and BKK?

I'm also surprised that a RT wouldn't be cheaper than doing two one ways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.