When do you guys check in?

Old Nov 26, 18, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium Ambassador, Hyatt-Globalist
When do you guys check in?

Curious to when you all check into it flight? I have it done automatically so I guess 24 hours but even when I had to manually do it, I was always a day ahead.

I ask because I was #1 on the upgrade list for this flight this morning for the last 23.5 hours but 20min until boarding this couple (assumed because of the same last initials) checked in and knocked me down to 3. I may still get it since there's only one seat left but this is such a let down
Old Nov 26, 18, 7:32 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
You probably got RUC'd by the couple. I don't believe checkin time has anything to do with the upgrade list.
Old Nov 26, 18, 7:35 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by bretthexum View Post
You probably got RUC'd by the couple. I don't believe checkin time has anything to do with the upgrade list.
well, you don't appear on the upgrade list until you actually check in.
Old Nov 26, 18, 7:37 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by CloneCones View Post
[left]Curious to when you all check into it flight? I have it done automatically so I guess 24 hours
FWIW, You don't actually get checked in at T-24 hours. You get checked in the first time you open the app once checkin is available.

To answer the question, though, I might sometimes check in at T-24 if I happen to be on my phone when I get the notification, or I might not do it until I'm in the car on the way to the airport.
Old Nov 26, 18, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Check-in time isn't relevant to upgrade priority. It's published. Perhaps you're thinking of another carrier.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-upgrades.html
Old Nov 26, 18, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bretthexum View Post
Yea but they wouldn't clear unless both could be upgraded right? I'm not sure of the rules
Old Nov 26, 18, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
Check-in time isn't relevant to upgrade priority. It's published. Perhaps you're thinking of another carrier.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-upgrades.html
I assume the main flyer is diamond or something. I'm actually about to hit diamond on this flight and was really hoping for the upgrade to celebrate. Ah well. We'll see what happens. Boarding in less than 5 min
Old Nov 26, 18, 9:02 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by CloneCones View Post
I assume the main flyer is diamond or something. I'm actually about to hit diamond on this flight and was really hoping for the upgrade to celebrate. Ah well. We'll see what happens. Boarding in less than 5 min
That makes all the difference in the world. If youíre just a lowly Platinum Iím surprised youíre at #3.

Even if you were DM, they donít need a RUC to be ahead of you. They could just as easily be on a higher fare.
Old Nov 26, 18, 10:21 am

Programs: Delta, United, AA, Jet Blue .... Whichever is Cheapest
I usually fly BE, so I check in as soon as possible in order to pick a better seat.
Old Nov 26, 18, 11:50 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
I usually check-in an hour or so the flight when traveling domestically. Once you check in you can no longer make changes to the flight on-line (except for whatever SDC options are presented as part of the check in process). I usually travel on refundable fares and make frequent changes. Once you're checked in you have to call which takes substantially longer than on-line. I also do not understand the benefit to the traveler to checking in early especially when it can be done in the app on the way to the airport or while walking to the security line.

I am also not a fan of the auto check-in that has been recently implemented in the app since it's easy to just hit the big continue button when moving quickly rather than the smaller "X" in the corner. I wish DL would make it a option that you could select rather than forced.
MSPeconomist and emrdoc like this.
Old Nov 26, 18, 11:54 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by kenn0223 View Post
I usually check-in an hour or so the flight when traveling domestically. Once you check in you can no longer make changes to the flight on-line (except for whatever SDC options are presented as part of the check in process). I usually travel on refundable fares and make frequent changes. Once you're checked in you have to call which takes substantially longer than on-line. I also do not understand the benefit to the traveler to checking in early especially when it can be done in the app on the way to the airport or while walking to the security line.
I used to think that right up until I tried to check in on the way to the airport and got an error saying there was an issue with my ticket. Apparently a botched upgrade or something. The boarding pass printing kiosks didn't work either. Nearly missed my flight due to having to wait in line for more than 20 minutes at the check-in counter (plus five minutes of an agent fumbling on the keyboard to fix the issue). Got to the gate right at T-7 as they were about to close the boarding doors.

Now I check-in sometime the day before and take a screenshot of the boarding pass. At a minimum that will get me past TSA and any issues can be handled at the gate.
Old Nov 26, 18, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by ethernal View Post
Now I check-in sometime the day before and take a screenshot of the boarding pass. At a minimum that will get me past TSA and any issues can be handled at the gate.
I recently began doing this with my iPhone BPs. There's nothing worse than the app flaking out on you the moment you're trying to board, or the occasions where it just "loses" everything for some unknown reason. Being able to call-up the screenshot is great insurance.
Old Nov 26, 18, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by TheHorta View Post
I recently began doing this with my iPhone BPs. There's nothing worse than the app flaking out on you the moment you're trying to board, or the occasions where it just "loses" everything for some unknown reason. Being able to call-up the screenshot is great insurance.
With an iPhone I just use the wallet. It makes it a lot easier since it shows up on the lock screen and can be displayed with one tap. Apple's wallet app also automatically increases the brightness to 100% and prevents the screen from turning off or rotating even if the phone is moved around which seems to make the scanning the barcode easier. I've NEVER had a problem with BPs failing to display once added to the wallet app and don't understand why anyone uses the Delta app for boarding passes (at least on iOS devices). AA's app doesn't even give an option to display the BP in the app but, rather, forces the BP into the wallet.
ilovemiles, TheHorta and DCAhome like this.
Old Nov 26, 18, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
I like to check-in close to T-24 as reasonable (i.e. I won't interrupt a work meeting or wake up at 6am to check-in since this isn't WN). I feel more comfortable when I have my BP and that's just on me since there isn't a technical reason to require it.
Old Nov 26, 18, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by kenn0223 View Post
With an iPhone I just use the wallet. It makes it a lot easier since it shows up on the lock screen and can be displayed with one tap. Apple's wallet app also automatically increases the brightness to 100% and prevents the screen from turning off or rotating even if the phone is moved around which seems to make the scanning the barcode easier. I've NEVER had a problem with BPs failing to display once added to the wallet app and don't understand why anyone uses the Delta app for boarding passes (at least on iOS devices). AA's app doesn't even give an option to display the BP in the app but, rather, forces the BP into the wallet.
I've never used the Wallet app, and didn't know anything about it. Of course, I also just figured out there's this thing called "Apple Pay."

Guess I'll have to try it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: