FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   When do you guys check in? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1942443-when-do-you-guys-check.html)

CloneCones Nov 26, 18 7:28 am

When do you guys check in?
 
Curious to when you all check into it flight? I have it done automatically so I guess 24 hours but even when I had to manually do it, I was always a day ahead.

I ask because I was #1 on the upgrade list for this flight this morning for the last 23.5 hours but 20min until boarding this couple (assumed because of the same last initials) checked in and knocked me down to 3. I may still get it since there's only one seat left but this is such a let down

bretthexum Nov 26, 18 7:32 am

You probably got RUC'd by the couple. I don't believe checkin time has anything to do with the upgrade list.

pvn Nov 26, 18 7:35 am


Originally Posted by bretthexum (Post 30467392)
You probably got RUC'd by the couple. I don't believe checkin time has anything to do with the upgrade list.

well, you don't appear on the upgrade list until you actually check in.

pvn Nov 26, 18 7:37 am


Originally Posted by CloneCones (Post 30467378)
[left]Curious to when you all check into it flight? I have it done automatically so I guess 24 hours

FWIW, You don't actually get checked in at T-24 hours. You get checked in the first time you open the app once checkin is available.

To answer the question, though, I might sometimes check in at T-24 if I happen to be on my phone when I get the notification, or I might not do it until I'm in the car on the way to the airport.

3Cforme Nov 26, 18 7:38 am

Check-in time isn't relevant to upgrade priority. It's published. Perhaps you're thinking of another carrier.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-upgrades.html

CloneCones Nov 26, 18 7:38 am


Originally Posted by bretthexum (Post 30467392)
You probably got RUC'd by the couple. I don't believe checkin time has anything to do with the upgrade list.

Yea but they wouldn't clear unless both could be upgraded right? I'm not sure of the rules

CloneCones Nov 26, 18 7:49 am


Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 30467414)
Check-in time isn't relevant to upgrade priority. It's published. Perhaps you're thinking of another carrier.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-upgrades.html

I assume the main flyer is diamond or something. I'm actually about to hit diamond on this flight and was really hoping for the upgrade to celebrate. Ah well. We'll see what happens. Boarding in less than 5 min

TheHorta Nov 26, 18 9:02 am


Originally Posted by CloneCones (Post 30467454)
I assume the main flyer is diamond or something. I'm actually about to hit diamond on this flight and was really hoping for the upgrade to celebrate. Ah well. We'll see what happens. Boarding in less than 5 min

That makes all the difference in the world. If youíre just a lowly Platinum Iím surprised youíre at #3.

Even if you were DM, they donít need a RUC to be ahead of you. They could just as easily be on a higher fare.

RRDD Nov 26, 18 10:21 am

I usually fly BE, so I check in as soon as possible in order to pick a better seat.

kenn0223 Nov 26, 18 11:50 am

I usually check-in an hour or so the flight when traveling domestically. Once you check in you can no longer make changes to the flight on-line (except for whatever SDC options are presented as part of the check in process). I usually travel on refundable fares and make frequent changes. Once you're checked in you have to call which takes substantially longer than on-line. I also do not understand the benefit to the traveler to checking in early especially when it can be done in the app on the way to the airport or while walking to the security line.

I am also not a fan of the auto check-in that has been recently implemented in the app since it's easy to just hit the big continue button when moving quickly rather than the smaller "X" in the corner. I wish DL would make it a option that you could select rather than forced.

ethernal Nov 26, 18 11:54 am


Originally Posted by kenn0223 (Post 30468380)
I usually check-in an hour or so the flight when traveling domestically. Once you check in you can no longer make changes to the flight on-line (except for whatever SDC options are presented as part of the check in process). I usually travel on refundable fares and make frequent changes. Once you're checked in you have to call which takes substantially longer than on-line. I also do not understand the benefit to the traveler to checking in early especially when it can be done in the app on the way to the airport or while walking to the security line.

I used to think that right up until I tried to check in on the way to the airport and got an error saying there was an issue with my ticket. Apparently a botched upgrade or something. The boarding pass printing kiosks didn't work either. Nearly missed my flight due to having to wait in line for more than 20 minutes at the check-in counter (plus five minutes of an agent fumbling on the keyboard to fix the issue). Got to the gate right at T-7 as they were about to close the boarding doors.

Now I check-in sometime the day before and take a screenshot of the boarding pass. At a minimum that will get me past TSA and any issues can be handled at the gate.

TheHorta Nov 26, 18 12:37 pm


Originally Posted by ethernal (Post 30468399)
Now I check-in sometime the day before and take a screenshot of the boarding pass. At a minimum that will get me past TSA and any issues can be handled at the gate.

I recently began doing this with my iPhone BPs. There's nothing worse than the app flaking out on you the moment you're trying to board, or the occasions where it just "loses" everything for some unknown reason. Being able to call-up the screenshot is great insurance.

kenn0223 Nov 26, 18 2:41 pm


Originally Posted by TheHorta (Post 30468601)
I recently began doing this with my iPhone BPs. There's nothing worse than the app flaking out on you the moment you're trying to board, or the occasions where it just "loses" everything for some unknown reason. Being able to call-up the screenshot is great insurance.

With an iPhone I just use the wallet. It makes it a lot easier since it shows up on the lock screen and can be displayed with one tap. Apple's wallet app also automatically increases the brightness to 100% and prevents the screen from turning off or rotating even if the phone is moved around which seems to make the scanning the barcode easier. I've NEVER had a problem with BPs failing to display once added to the wallet app and don't understand why anyone uses the Delta app for boarding passes (at least on iOS devices). AA's app doesn't even give an option to display the BP in the app but, rather, forces the BP into the wallet.

Gig103 Nov 26, 18 2:54 pm

I like to check-in close to T-24 as reasonable (i.e. I won't interrupt a work meeting or wake up at 6am to check-in since this isn't WN). I feel more comfortable when I have my BP and that's just on me since there isn't a technical reason to require it.

TheHorta Nov 26, 18 2:59 pm


Originally Posted by kenn0223 (Post 30469074)
With an iPhone I just use the wallet. It makes it a lot easier since it shows up on the lock screen and can be displayed with one tap. Apple's wallet app also automatically increases the brightness to 100% and prevents the screen from turning off or rotating even if the phone is moved around which seems to make the scanning the barcode easier. I've NEVER had a problem with BPs failing to display once added to the wallet app and don't understand why anyone uses the Delta app for boarding passes (at least on iOS devices). AA's app doesn't even give an option to display the BP in the app but, rather, forces the BP into the wallet.

I've never used the Wallet app, and didn't know anything about it. Of course, I also just figured out there's this thing called "Apple Pay." :D

Guess I'll have to try it.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 7:21 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.