Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When do you guys check in?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
RUCs can only clear until T-3h, right?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles
That's their official number. Some here have had success at T-1 if you get the right agent.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
They put you at the top of the upgrade list to clear at the gate. Mind you, "top" can be subjective.. I've been 7 or 8 down on the list as a Diamond on a RUC
TheHorta likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by kenn0223
With an iPhone I just use the wallet. It makes it a lot easier since it shows up on the lock screen and can be displayed with one tap. Apple's wallet app also automatically increases the brightness to 100% and prevents the screen from turning off or rotating even if the phone is moved around which seems to make the scanning the barcode easier. I've NEVER had a problem with BPs failing to display once added to the wallet app and don't understand why anyone uses the Delta app for boarding passes (at least on iOS devices). AA's app doesn't even give an option to display the BP in the app but, rather, forces the BP into the wallet.
+1. Never had any problems with the wallet BPs for any carrier
Old Nov 26, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL DM
Is it not that you can apply an RUC or GUC on a flight up until T-3, but they can clear at any point in time, before gate is closed, after having been applied?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Check-in time isn't relevant to upgrade priority. It's published. Perhaps you're thinking of another carrier.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-upgrades.html
It isn't relevant to upgrade priority as in where you end up on the list, but check in must be what causes your name to populate on the list? I am #1 often when I check in, but hours later I end up somewhere in the middle. I assumed others with higher priority finally checking in is what was causing that, wondering the same thing as OP why do all these people wait so long to check in? But to your point, since the answer doesn't change the fact I end up in the middle of the list I didn't bother to ask. I agree it can cause false hope, so I always assume no upgrade unless it clears at the window.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by defrosted
It isn't relevant to upgrade priority as in where you end up on the list, but check in must be what causes your name to populate on the list? I am #1 often when I check in, but hours later I end up somewhere in the middle. I assumed others with higher priority finally checking in is what was causing that, wondering the same thing as OP why do all these people wait so long to check in? But to your point, since the answer doesn't change the fact I end up in the middle of the list I didn't bother to ask. I agree it can cause false hope, so I always assume no upgrade unless it clears at the window.
Yes, other than to check where you are on the upgrade list it doesn't do much. And, while I don't do it, I know some people who avoid checking in until the last minute as a defensive posture. Some people decide whether or not to apply a RUC based on where they are on the upgrade list, and so by waiting until T-1 or T-2 before the flight, you avoid people applying RUCs and jumping ahead of you on the list. Too much micromanaging for me to worry about, but there ya go. This is more common on long haul transcons, probably not so much on 2 hour hops.
defrosted and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Delta 1MM, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
As a Goldmember, if I have not been upgraded to Comfort+, before I check in at T-24 I look at the seat map and see if something has opened up better than what I have. If I find something I switch seats and check in. If not, I most likely will check in anyway, depending on the flight. Coming out of a hub, I usually find myself 25 out of 47 (or so) on any upgrade list so I no longer worry about it.

I do remember that at some point check in time made a difference. Maybe in NWA days?

Cheers,
Pogopossum
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pbarnette

+1. Never had any problems with the wallet BPs for any carrier
+1 more. I will also add Wallet works great for Amtrak and sorting event tickets. Never once had an issue.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Aside from upgrades and seats, I was under the impression that one of the boxes that gets ticked in choosing who may get IDB is check-in time.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cayohueso
Aside from upgrades and seats, I was under the impression that one of the boxes that gets ticked in choosing who may get IDB is check-in time.
Yes. However last time I looked elites were exempt by policy from IDB. Kills the need for large number of passengers to worry about checkin time.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TheHorta
That's their official number. Some here have had success at T-1 if you get the right agent.
They can only be applied till T-3. Most agents don't care though and ignore this rule. However you can clear anytime up to and including while sitting in Y onboard,the plane while at gate.
TheHorta and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Thanks you guys for the pointer for using the wallet, that's a great ideer!
TheHorta likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: Delta GM
Originally Posted by ethernal
Yes, other than to check where you are on the upgrade list it doesn't do much...
This is why I check-in as close to T-24 as practical. It's the only time this FO gets to see his name near the top of the upgrade list
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pulpfiction78
Is it not that you can apply an RUC or GUC on a flight up until T-3, but they can clear at any point in time, before gate is closed, after having been applied?
This is my understanding. In fact, they're supposed to clear at the gate if there are any open premium cabin seats, regardless of inventory bucket availability. It could be the case that before T-3, instrument supported upgrade inventory is required for the upgrade to be confirmed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.