Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta’s Romaine Lettuce

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
The customer should not be determining this. Delta/the caterers should provide this specific ingredient information to the FAs. If they cannot confirm what it is, they absolutely should not be serving it out of an abundance of caution. Better safe than sorry.
I didn't ask the customer to determine anything. I assume everyone is dumb until proven otherwise. If dumb people don't want to pay attention to what they're eating, that's fine with me. In this case, since the poster said it was Romaine, then it should have been tossed. if it wasn't Romaine, there's no need for any further scrutiny, which (obviously) is why I asked if it was Romaine.

For perspective: less than 50 people have reported illness in US (32) and Canada (11) going back to October 8th (source cdc.gov).
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I'm surprised they didn't throw away all the wraps after this. Poor form. Did you report it to DL?

The customer should not be determining this. Delta/the caterers should provide this specific ingredient information to the FAs. If they cannot confirm what it is, they absolutely should not be serving it out of an abundance of caution. Better safe than sorry.

Yeah, really. Did you already forget about the needle in the sandwich incident?
No one said they should. However poster said lettuce, not romaine. A lot of people don't understand that there's different types of lettuces. Only romaine is recalled.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pbarnette

Since there is little reason to believe having your own farm would mitigate risk in and of itself, I struggle to understand what they are making a big deal about. Now, if they were trumpeting their testing protocols or sanitization procedures in their kitchens, but just running your own farm doesn’t mean much, at least when considered against US standards.
It means there's no contact with the contamination. Just because swine flu is rampant in one place doesn't mean it's infected even one animal elsewhere.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
It means there's no contact with the contamination. Just because swine flu is rampant in one place doesn't mean it's infected even one animal elsewhere.
Except that it doesn’t actually reduce the risk that is inherent in any produce. Indeed, the timeline for this outbreak is instructive. It took a fair amount of time to identify the responsible food and even longer to identify the source location - last I checked they still haven’t found the specific farm, though they think it is CA. By the time it is meaningful KE runs their own farm (i.e. when the source has been pinpointed to such a degree), it is basically past the point where it would make any difference.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Lots of leafy greens but no signs of romaine in SCs today, two in DTW and two in BOS. We'll see what DL is serving for dinner on my next flight.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pbarnette

Except that it doesn’t actually reduce the risk that is inherent in any produce. Indeed, the timeline for this outbreak is instructive. It took a fair amount of time to identify the responsible food and even longer to identify the source location - last I checked they still haven’t found the specific farm, though they think it is CA. By the time it is meaningful KE runs their own farm (i.e. when the source has been pinpointed to such a degree), it is basically past the point where it would make any difference.
Just because one is infected has zero to do with with other. The logic is failing. If they had zero clue maybe. However there will at least be country of origin known. If South Korea was infected other countries wouldn't be taking their produce. KE runs it's own farms. Thus it not possible for there's to be the infected lettuce. Its a closed system. If it was then only KE flights would be effected. Your logic only works if when one lettuce is infected all lettuce worldwide get infected. Simply not how,viruses/bacteria work. This is why theres not a worldwide recall.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Just because one is infected has zero to do with with other. The logic is failing. If they had zero clue maybe. However there will at least be country of origin known. If South Korea was infected other countries wouldn't be taking their produce. KE runs it's own farms. Thus it not possible for there's to be the infected lettuce. Its a closed system. If it was then only KE flights would be effected. Your logic only works if when one lettuce is infected all lettuce worldwide get infected. Simply not how,viruses/bacteria work. This is why theres not a worldwide recall.
You clearly are misunderstanding my point. By the time it is known where the pathogen originated from, it is simple to avoid infection by avoiding the product and/or origin. That KE runs their own farm does not make them less prone to an outbreak in general. Before maybe a week ago, we didn’t know what the problem item was or the source.

My guess is that KE intends the marketing more for the Chinese market where concerns about domestic food safety are significant. For an American or European, there is likely no general safety advantage.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
We all need to make healthier choices, just stop eating lettuce altogether and eat Delta cookies instead. No more worries about which lettuce is going to kill you.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by defrosted
We all need to make healthier choices, just stop eating lettuce altogether and eat Delta cookies instead. No more worries about which lettuce is going to kill you.
Sounds like a great diet! Sign me up!

You can squeeze some fresh cut lime on those cookies for some Vitamin C. It’ll taste like Key Lime Pie!

Of course, unless they have a recall on either the cookies or fresh limes.
defrosted likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had a nice romaine salad last night in FRA and just finished a deli plate with romaine on my UA FRA-ORD flight. Thanks EU for the lettuce!
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:37 am

Programs: Delta Plat
Come to think of it I think my side salad on my JFK SDQ flight on the 22nd had Romaine.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by flyinghacker
Filed a complaint yesterday, no response yet. Good luck out there.
Did you report to your state health department?

https://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/outbr...alth-dept.html
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DiverDave

https://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/outbr...alth-dept.html
Do they provide Sky Pesos?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by DiverDave
Yup. No follow up from them or DL yet.

Originally Posted by TomMM
Do they provide Sky Pesos?
This is the only question that matters.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by flyinghacker
Yup. No follow up from them or DL yet.

This is the only question that matters.
my guess is they wont, as that could open them up to legal liability if it implies guilt. i had food poisoning on ua once and when i complained after i assumed id get some miles however i got a legal letter back saying they found no other cases and their catering facility has proper procedures in place to avoid the food being unsafe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.