Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Can Delta reassign your seat as you board your outbound flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can Delta reassign your seat as you board your outbound flight?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2018, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Jericho-79
To be honest, I was dismayed because the window seat in the exit row that I ended up sitting in didn't have a seat in front of me.
I saw that situation in action on a Southwest flight a few days ago: the item went under the seat of the row ahead (14F). The passenger with no seat next to him (15E) took about three seconds to figure this out and offer to help the passenger confronted with the empty spot (16F). Once the plane is in the air, take back the bag and put it at your feet.

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/So...37-800_new.php
ijgordon likes this.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Nov 25, 2018 at 5:29 am
Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by Jericho-79
To be honest, I was dismayed because the window seat in the exit row that I ended up sitting in didn't have a seat in front of me. As such, I didn't have any place to stow my "smaller personal item". I ultimately placed my knapsack underneath the seat in front of the passenger sitting next me in the middle seat.
As said above, you put your stuff under the seat in front of you, even if that seat is one row ahead. I was just on just a flight. I was in 14a (exit row), there was no seat in 13a (exit row) so my stuff went under the seat in 12a. The person in 13b understood that it was my undersea storage and made sure I had room. As it turned no one was sitting next to me, so my stuff went under their seat (13b). They moved their stuff over and we all had great legroom, especially as being in a exit row with no seat is one the best seats on bus.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I just took a cycle of 4 flights on Delta. From the time I made the reservations in the summer to the day of flight, every seat assignment was changed by Delta. They all remained Comfort Plus and they all remained aisle seats.

But, between aircraft changes, flight time changes, etc, I was somehow at some point reassigned every single seat. I did not know it until this morning when I looked at my initial DL receipt with initial seat assignments.

Oh well. I had nice aisle seats with leg room on four flights. They were all pretty much on time. Connections in DTW and ATL were met. All on the busiest travel holiday of the year. All in all, I call that a successful trip.
MarkP24 and strickerj like this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I just took a cycle of 4 flights on Delta. From the time I made the reservations in the summer to the day of flight, every seat assignment was changed by Delta. They all remained Comfort Plus and they all remained aisle seats.

But, between aircraft changes, flight time changes, etc, I was somehow at some point reassigned every single seat. I did not know it until this morning when I looked at my initial DL receipt with initial seat assignments.

Oh well. I had nice aisle seats with leg room on four flights. They were all pretty much on time. Connections in DTW and ATL were met. All on the busiest travel holiday of the year. All in all, I call that a successful trip.
DL is quite efficient at getting their airplanes out on time, and sometimes does need to make seat changes, although unfortunate. I have found them (as a medallion) to be accommodating, and to switch a seat with a similar seat.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by MarkP24
DL is quite efficient at getting their airplanes out on time, and sometimes does need to make seat changes, although unfortunate. I have found them (as a medallion) to be accommodating, and to switch a seat with a similar seat.
I see this sort of response a lot, and I’m not sure I follow the logic - on-time departures and not shuffling seats around aren’t mutually exclusive. (In my case, as a non-medallion, I got moved from an exit row window to a regular middle, and the gate agent basically just said tough luck.)

Admittedly, I don’t typically get reassigned after checking in, but at some point from booking until check-in, my seats get reassigned more often than not, often with no equipment change. It’s not a big deal in the long run, but I guess I’m just at a loss as to why they do this - it certainly isn’t so a flight a month away can depart on time.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by strickerj

I see this sort of response a lot, and I’m not sure I follow the logic - on-time departures and not shuffling seats around aren’t mutually exclusive. (In my case, as a non-medallion, I got moved from an exit row window to a regular middle, and the gate agent basically just said tough luck.)

Admittedly, I don’t typically get reassigned after checking in, but at some point from booking until check-in, my seats get reassigned more often than not, often with no equipment change. It’s not a big deal in the long run, but I guess I’m just at a loss as to why they do this - it certainly isn’t so a flight a month away can depart on time.
Moving from an exit row window to a regular middle is a pretty big downgrade. I'm not sure why they're moving seats so far in advance with no equipment change.
strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by strickerj

If you paid extra for the exit row window seat, you chould have received a refund of your seat selection fees.
strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you paid extra for the exit row window seat, you chould have received a refund of your seat selection fees.
Do they do that automatically or do you need to request it?
strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MarkP24
Do they do that automatically or do you need to request it?
I don't know, but if it weren't offered, I'd request it. In fact, IMO DL should also offer some additional minor customer service gesture as you reserved/paid/confirmed the special seats. It wasn't just some sort of "option upgrade" if space is available at the time of boarding.
MarkP24 and strickerj like this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:25 pm

I don't know, but if it weren't offered, I'd request it. In fact, IMO DL should also offer some additional minor customer service gesture as you reserved/paid/confirmed the special seats. It wasn't just some sort of "option upgrade" if space is available at the time of boarding.
Agreed
strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Oh I did, and no, it wasn’t automatic - I had to submit a complaint. I did get the e-gift card as a customer service gesture, which I’d say was reasonable. It’s just irritating that they seem to do this so often and no one there seems to know why.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 5:40 pm

I was booted from Comfort around row 20 A and B to row 45 D and E. when I called they said sorry, even though you bought that ticket 6 months ago. I had to contact them for refund. The only thing from research was a plane change and I had purchased ultra low fare on sale so was at the bottom of their algorithm. Still ticked about it. This was for a TATL flight.
strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bizeesheri
I was booted from Comfort around row 20 A and B to row 45 D and E. when I called they said sorry, even though you bought that ticket 6 months ago. I had to contact them for refund. The only thing from research was a plane change and I had purchased ultra low fare on sale so was at the bottom of their algorithm. Still ticked about it. This was for a TATL flight.

You paid a comfort plus fare and they downgraded you to regular economy? I would have demanded a full refund of the ticket. But maybe with an “ultra low fare” that’s what they were hoping for?
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.