Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does your spouse sit in First?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: DL PM / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by paterwdb
I'm not married, but if I'm flying with any female, co-worker, sister, friend's wife, in-law, etc., I always defer my F seat to her.

One, it just seems like the right thing to do as a man. Two, depending on the person, it usually is really special to her. Three, I usually then get to fly with another guy and catch up during the flight.
1965 called. It would like it's attitude towards women back.

Why are these not the right actions to take as a man for other men?
roberta_h likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
When I don't buy FC for the family or we all don't get UG'd, I will sometimes give my UG to Mrs. SYRRDU, sometimes she tells me to keep it and sometimes we all sit together in the back and I give my FC seat to the person that had the seat where I choose to sit (I am sure that is P-Offs the person #1 on the UG list)
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by TheHorta

Until there’s only one available. Then what do you do?

Happens to all of us... eventually.
depends on the flight. if it's a long trip we will usually pass on the upgrade and sit together. for short flights we are ok to be split up. sometimes i'm generous and give him the upgrade. sometimes I'm selfish and keep it.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by FF524

ALWAYS ride in coach if not everyone is upgraded.
Heck with that. If I'm flying with an associate or my wife, no way both of us are going to be miserable. In the case of friends, associates, etc -- if I'm upgraded and they're not, I'm flying up front. In the case where it's my wife, we arm wrestle for it -- fair's fair.

So far, I'm undefeated.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: Delta SM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Don't make your spouse/SO sit in coach if you are in F. Anyone doing so needs to be flogged with a buggy whip.
Visconti likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Scott H
Don't make your spouse/SO sit in coach if you are in F. Anyone doing so needs to be flogged with a buggy whip.
I guess that's a matter of perspective and preferences. My wife has pushed hard for me to keep my UG and fly in F, even if she's in Y. She's even taken my seat in Y and given up her UG (which albeit, cleared with my RUC, when we were on separate tickets and she cleared into the last seat while I didn't clear). Why? Mrs. ATOBTTR is 5'1. I am 6'4, with most of it in my legs. She knows she's fine in regular economy when it comes to legroom and especially more than okay if she's in the exit row of C+ (her favorite seat is 21A/D on the 737-900). On the other hand, even C+ is somewhat tight for me. So on more than one occasion I have ridden up front while she's back in economy. If it's a meal flight for F, she's more than fine with me making up for it by buying her a Buy-on-Board meal as my "thank you" to her for letting me sit in a more comfortable seat.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Scott H
If your relationship is affected by where each of you sits on a plane, you have my sympathy.
BenA and gooselee like this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 4:14 pm

If your relationship is affected by where each of you sits on a plane, you have my sympathy.
This has nothing to do with the relationship per se. While I can't speak for Scott, some of us were brought up during an era where it's simply proper manners and etiquette. I can't imagine sitting in F, while my wife is in coach. This is just a concept unimaginable to me.
DeepUnderground likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
DM/PM couple here- 75% of the time, we book Y then get C+ instantly. When the deal is right, or we want F (longer flights/bad equipment), we book F.

When we get split on an upgrade, I will defer to my wife, but I get the lone empty seat most of the time simply because my wife HATES bulkheads in F.

She takes the upgrade when it’s anything other than bulkhead F though...

BTW, we are both mature adults- we can sit apart on a plane for a few hours and not lose our minds. I’ve had to give up my C+ seat to sit in a far back aisle so I didn’t swim upstream getting my luggage on a tight connection numerous times. Same for splitting up to accomodate families- not a huge deal to us...
Old Nov 23, 2018, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti
This has nothing to do with the relationship per se. While I can't speak for Scott, some of us were brought up during an era where it's simply proper manners and etiquette. I can't imagine sitting in F, while my wife is in coach. This is just a concept unimaginable to me.
My wife would smack me around if I tried to treat her like that. She demands that her man have a spine.

Different strokes.
gooselee likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
My wife would smack me around if I tried to treat her like that. She demands that her man have a spine.

Different strokes.
Well, I don't know what you mean there, but I have a spine and it has a few slipping disks from less gentle takeoffs and activities than your average Delta craft. If push comes to shove, on a flight > 3hrs, I'm going to take the F seat, all gender roles aside.

Speaking of which, I expect about $250 for the upgrade AMS->ORD.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by dgilman
1965 called. It would like it's attitude towards women back.

Why are these not the right actions to take as a man for other men?
I'm pretty sure 1965 would have demanded that the woman sit in the back of the plane with the children while I sit in the front with the men.
I'd like to think that chivalry and courtesy are timeless.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Originally Posted by paterwdb
I'm pretty sure 1965 would have demanded that the woman sit in the back of the plane with the children while I sit in the front with the men.
I'd like to think that chivalry and courtesy are timeless.
I'm not sure I want to dive too much into the potential OT gender issues here, unless we're moving this thread over to OMNI.

I'm 6'1" and I'll spare you the list of injuries, since they're not so much if I don't ignore them. If I were 5'6" and facing a 6'1" female with the same, all else equal, I'd let the female take the bigger seat. Else I'm hopping back with drinks, which no FA on a domestic DL flight seems to have a problems with (watch out for Republic, of course).
Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I guess that's a matter of perspective and preferences. My wife has pushed hard for me to keep my UG and fly in F, even if she's in Y. She's even taken my seat in Y and given up her UG (which albeit, cleared with my RUC, when we were on separate tickets and she cleared into the last seat while I didn't clear). Why? Mrs. ATOBTTR is 5'1. I am 6'4, with most of it in my legs. She knows she's fine in regular economy when it comes to legroom and especially more than okay if she's in the exit row of C+ (her favorite seat is 21A/D on the 737-900). On the other hand, even C+ is somewhat tight for me. So on more than one occasion I have ridden up front while she's back in economy. If it's a meal flight for F, she's more than fine with me making up for it by buying her a Buy-on-Board meal as my "thank you" to her for letting me sit in a more comfortable seat.
You have a point there...
Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:45 am

Not really looking for your sympathy, my relationship is just fine thanks. That's in large part due to the fact that I try to be a decent person and consider other people and not just myself. Generally goes a longer way with relationships than arm wrestling does.
TheHorta likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.