Wiki Posts
Search

Does your spouse sit in First?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2018, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: DM-3MM, Marriott Platinum 4 Life, VFW-Life
Does your spouse sit in First?

So you earn those miles as a DM-PM-GM. And you're on vacation. Do you buy (money/miles) your spouse a FC ticket and sometimes take a seat in back? My wife puts up with my travel and I always make sure she's in FC regardless of where I am. Happy wife - happy life. She got used to FC back in the '90's when she was a DL F/A.........
Old Nov 22, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by rcsgeorgia
Do you buy (money/miles) your spouse a FC ticket and sometimes take a seat in back?
No....but she always gets the upgrade.
ZonaFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
If she was a DL FA then she definitely should be used to coach.

The whole family sits in F, if the right deal comes along. Otherwise, it’s Moooo for all.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Heck with that! Women in back! I want to enjoy my PDB in peace.

(I was going to omit the smiley face, but it is the internet and I’m sure someone would take it seriously)
Old Nov 22, 2018, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DM-3MM, Marriott Platinum 4 Life, VFW-Life
If she was a DL FA then she definitely should be used to coach.

Back in the 90's there was no free upgrade for Medallions, so FC was either purchased tickets, mileage awards, Non-Revs, or EMPTY seats............. Being an employee back then truly had benefits - flying domestic FC as a non-rev was much easier.

Last edited by rcsgeorgia; Nov 22, 2018 at 12:06 pm Reason: To quote other post
Old Nov 22, 2018, 5:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If she had been a PMNW FA, she wouldn't have seen FC nearly as much except when working the FC cabin.

BTW, does she still have flight benefits and do you use them much?
kthomas likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
mr gitismatt rides my upgrade coattails since I have higher status, so when the upgrades clear we sit up front together
Old Nov 22, 2018, 11:58 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by gitismatt
mr gitismatt rides my upgrade coattails since I have higher status, so when the upgrades clear we sit up front together
Until there’s only one available. Then what do you do?

Happens to all of us... eventually.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 12:23 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
As a double diamond couple, my spouse sits in first... when she beats me in the race to book earlier, since time of request is the tiebreaker. We always book on separate reservations to maximize our upgrade chances, and fair is fair for whoever gets their reservation in earlier!

The only thing worse than being #2 for 1 seat behind some random jerk is being #2 for 1 seat behind your spouse
sdadept, SYRRDU and TheHorta like this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 6:26 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I am a PM, she is a GM. Most of the time we both clear at the PM window. However, if we have separate reservations or if we are 1 and 2 for 1 seat, I ride in coach with her.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by rcsgeorgia
So you earn those miles as a DM-PM-GM. And you're on vacation. Do you buy (money/miles) your spouse a FC ticket and sometimes take a seat in back? My wife puts up with my travel and I always make sure she's in FC regardless of where I am. Happy wife - happy life. She got used to FC back in the '90's when she was a DL F/A.........
If I'm upgraded, and I don't end up paying to upgrade myself for whatever reason (i.e. the FCM is ridiculously expensive), she gets the FC seat
Old Nov 23, 2018, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Anything over 4 hours and we're both in F/J one way or another. Anything under that and we still might be if it's cheap enough. When traveling with friends (either together or just her) we will sometimes burn miles to book the whole group in FC.

My father-in-law worked for DL corporate back in the day, so Mrs. Lee grew up with premium cabin flight benefits. Unfortunately he did not get to keep them after he was laid off.
kthomas likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
I'm not married, but if I'm flying with any female, co-worker, sister, friend's wife, in-law, etc., I always defer my F seat to her.

One, it just seems like the right thing to do as a man. Two, depending on the person, it usually is really special to her. Three, I usually then get to fly with another guy and catch up during the flight.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by SDQBound
I am a PM, she is a GM. Most of the time we both clear at the PM window. However, if we have separate reservations or if we are 1 and 2 for 1 seat, I ride in coach with her.
ALWAYS ride in coach if not everyone is upgraded.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 9:44 am

Whole family sits in paid F.

I'd be embarrassed to fly so much and then subject them to Y for the one time a year they fly.

If it was about money and bags we'd fly WN or NK.
sdadept and DeepUnderground like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.