Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does your spouse sit in First?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by Scott H
Not really looking for your sympathy, my relationship is just fine thanks. That's in large part due to the fact that I try to be a decent person and consider other people and not just myself. Generally goes a longer way with relationships than arm wrestling does.
Don’t knock it ‘til you try it, especially when it’s her idea.

I always give her what she wants. That’s how you maintain a good relationship.
kthomas and rcsgeorgia like this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
me and mrs sdadept are both diamond and always book our tickets together. On the rare occasion we don't just book fcm we sink or swim together in the upgrade race. We like being together when we travel so even if we are in c+ we still have a good time.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: Delta SM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by TheHorta

Don’t knock it ‘til you try it, especially when it’s her idea.

I always give her what she wants. That’s how you maintain a good relationship.
Sounds like we are on the same page, except I need to try arm wrestling at some point, lol
TheHorta likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I tried giving a single UG to Mrs. Lee exactly once. Her reply was that I was the one who spent all this time in planes, so the lone remaining FC seat should be mine, not hers.

Out of courtesy I still offer it to her on each of the rare occasions we are flying together and are in line for the one remaining seat, but it's the same answer every time.

Also, this type of thing isn't really a crucial factor in the success of our relationship. It was a 15 second discussion one time several years ago and I don't think it's something we've found worth talking about since.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by BenA
As a double diamond couple, my spouse sits in first... when she beats me in the race to book earlier, since time of request is the tiebreaker. We always book on separate reservations to maximize our upgrade chances, and fair is fair for whoever gets their reservation in earlier!

The only thing worse than being #2 for 1 seat behind some random jerk is being #2 for 1 seat behind your spouse
Not sure that it is fair to brand a singular person, requesting upgrade through legitimate upgrade channels, as a "jerk". My wife and I have both been diamond for the past 7 years. We, too, always sit together, regardless (married 48 yrs) and rarely are in a situation at the gate where we haven't both cleared yet, mainly because our policy is to almost never get into a scenario where we haven't cleared prior to gate (policy is usually only to upgrade is available at time of ticketing). For the most part, we will simply pay for the discounted first and not deal with apprehension of upgrades at the gate.

As for upgrades not guaranteed at the time of booking, we just about always use the upgrade certificates. We each get 4 each year for Plat, then an extra 8 each for diamond. That's 24 for the year. The certificates go ahead of others using status if such others don't have a certificate like we do. If we run out of certificates, we use miles. Hate heading for the airport hanging on to watching the monitor to see if we've cleared.

I don't mind, as a DM flyer, having my certificate upgrade clear before a fellow DM flyer who didn't provide a certificate, and being such a "jerk" in doing so. That's been our schtick and it works for us.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:40 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
I book us both in coach exit rows etc. and standby for upgrds. If only one free upgrade comes though we may split the seating at a connection point (we never turn down a single upgrade in this game). If a chance comes along to buy a single upgraded FC seat it's always in my name to ensure MQDs go to my account (she stays in her original assigned seat in coach if allowed)
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:48 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FullFare
Not sure that it is fair to brand a singular person, requesting upgrade through legitimate upgrade channels, as a "jerk". My wife and I have both been diamond for the past 7 years. We, too, always sit together, regardless (married 48 yrs) and rarely are in a situation at the gate where we haven't both cleared yet, mainly because our policy is to almost never get into a scenario where we haven't cleared prior to gate (policy is usually only to upgrade is available at time of ticketing). For the most part, we will simply pay for the discounted first and not deal with apprehension of upgrades at the gate.

As for upgrades not guaranteed at the time of booking, we just about always use the upgrade certificates. We each get 4 each year for Plat, then an extra 8 each for diamond. That's 24 for the year. The certificates go ahead of others using status if such others don't have a certificate like we do. If we run out of certificates, we use miles. Hate heading for the airport hanging on to watching the monitor to see if we've cleared.

I don't mind, as a DM flyer, having my certificate upgrade clear before a fellow DM flyer who didn't provide a certificate, and being such a "jerk" in doing so. That's been our schtick and it works for us.
Seems like this is another case where a joking tone was lost in translation to text. I guess the experience of exaggeratedly complaining to your companions - “man, #2 for 1 seat. Who’s this BAS/E guy? What a jerk!” - isn’t as universal as I thought it was. Obviously, no actual hard feelings toward anyone else on the upgrade list as long as the rules are applied consistently - that’s the game. But that still doesn’t mean I can’t be sad and jokingly direct my ire at a semi-anonymous name on the list when I’m stuck in coach
zitozac likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:33 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Unfortunately, with my wife suffering from Cancer and needing the support when traveling, I will pass on any solo upgrade given. She needs to know I will be there if she has any issues.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:01 pm

I’m single, but usually invite a friend along if I take a vacation. As the years go, everyone I know seems to be moving away so now I’ll often be flying her to the destination separately from me. (If we have a common connection city I’ll try to meet up there) Sooooo she would have no knowledge of me being in F and her not (I’ll book both flights since I usually plan the vacation and then just invite whoever along), but I always feel guilty so I’ll book her in paid F as well.

Thankfully most the time it’s just up and down the west coast and Delta F is fairly cheap, but this last fall trip it ended up being a trans-con for my friend and I put her into JetBlue Mint... I have to say I was a bit jealous when boarding normal old SEA-SNA Delta F on a E175, lol
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: 3MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
Depends on the trip but typically she rides in the rear with the gear. She's 110lbs....she fits nicely in a C+ seat better than I fit in a F seat.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Originally Posted by acarney
I’m single, but usually invite a friend along if I take a vacation. As the years go, everyone I know seems to be moving away so now I’ll often be flying her to the destination separately from me. (If we have a common connection city I’ll try to meet up there) Sooooo she would have no knowledge of me being in F and her not (I’ll book both flights since I usually plan the vacation and then just invite whoever along), but I always feel guilty so I’ll book her in paid F as well.

Thankfully most the time it’s just up and down the west coast and Delta F is fairly cheap, but this last fall trip it ended up being a trans-con for my friend and I put her into JetBlue Mint... I have to say I was a bit jealous when boarding normal old SEA-SNA Delta F on a E175, lol
Cool story.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.