FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta Private Jets - Cyber Monday sale - 5k for a full year (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1941635-delta-private-jets-cyber-monday-sale-5k-full-year.html)

Nicoolio Nov 21, 2018 9:36 am

Delta Private Jets - Cyber Monday sale - 5k for a full year

It looks like Delta Private Jets is doing a one day only sale for its empty leg program Sky Access. It's normally $8,500 and you can fly as many empty legs as you want for free. Monday only (Cyber Monday) it's $5,000. Seems like a pretty good deal. Some interesting flights posted like Teterboro to White Plains and JFK to La Guardia but also Scottsdale to Las Vegas, Nashville to Pontiac, Vail to Kansas City, Atlanta to Philadelphia Very tempting but very short lead time. Flights are today or tomorrow.

Delta Private Jets, an IS-BAO Level 3 (the highest) operator of managed private jets has set a series of promotions. Buy its Sky Access empty leg program during its Cyber Monday Offer, valid only on November 26, 2018, from 12:00am EST – 11:59pm EST and you pay $5,000 instead of the normal $8,500 for the first year. You also get one Main Cabin Ticket on Delta Air Lines and 20,000 Sky Miles. Through the end of the year – from November 27 at 12:00am EST the deal goes to $6,000 plus 20,000 Sky Miles. Sky Access gives you the entire aircraft for as many empty leg flights as you can book and fly.
​​​​​​​Has anybody joined? Are you happy?

Source: Private Jet Card Comparisons

TheHorta Nov 21, 2018 9:42 am

We did DPJ a few years ago on a $100K card. We also did a couple of empty legs, including one that just happened to work perfectly for Santa Ana to Las Vegas, which was great and didn’t count toward our balance.

I can’t say it would be worth $5K, but it’s practically Christmas and it might be a nice gift to yourself after a hard year — especially if you’ve never flown charter. It was a great experience and I’d love to do it again, but we burned through the $100K in 7 months and decided to not do it again.

discoseal Nov 21, 2018 10:08 am

Isn't there still an additional hourly rate involved?

TheHorta Nov 21, 2018 10:21 am

Originally Posted by discoseal (Post 30453222)
Isn't there still an additional hourly rate involved?

No. not on empty legs.

pulpfiction78 Nov 21, 2018 10:31 am

For the uneducated; an empty leg is a jet flying empty to a specific destination for its next charter? :)

DenverBrian Nov 21, 2018 10:33 am

Can you join for empty legs only without putting money on a jet card?

If you book an empty leg, can you add pax up to the maximum capacity, or do they have to be in the program too?

SDQBound Nov 21, 2018 10:35 am

How early can you find empty legs?

TheHorta Nov 21, 2018 10:37 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian (Post 30453313)
Can you join for empty legs only without putting money on a jet card?

If you book an empty leg, can you add pax up to the maximum capacity, or do they have to be in the program too?

With the OP offer, you can fly as many empty legs for free as you want or are able to fly -- all at no additional charge.

That's essentially the point of this particular program. Pay $5K up front for the chance that you'll be close to, and available for, an empty leg. If you live within 60 minutes of a major private jetport, you can do quite well if you have plenty of discretionary time to take advantage of it.

Getting back is the trick. :D

TheHorta Nov 21, 2018 10:37 am

Originally Posted by SDQBound (Post 30453320)
How early can you find empty legs?

Typically 2-24 hours. Rarely longer than that.

tkey75 Nov 21, 2018 10:41 am

Originally Posted by TheHorta (Post 30453331)
Typically 2-24 hours. Rarely longer than that.

So basically worthless, which is why they give it away.

TheHorta Nov 21, 2018 10:52 am

Originally Posted by tkey75 (Post 30453348)
So basically worthless, which is why they give it away.

It's a novelty. No practical way to use it for anything business-related, unless you count on pure, dumb luck (which is what happened to us... once).

It's a cheap way to experience private jet travel, but the stars really have to align to make it worthwhile -- and most trips are well under one hour, as it's just repositioning craft to relatively nearby ports for paying customers -- e.g. Teterboro to White Plains (30 minutes), LGA to JFK (20 minutes), etc. Our Orange County (CA) to Vegas was a lark, as we just happened to need to get there for a trade show, and just bought a OW DL commercial fare back. Even then, we needed to make the trip a day early to take advantage of the flight, which was basically an hour in the air. The plane was small, too. I'm only 6'2" and I'd be surprised if the ceiling was over 5'6".

Again, we were on a DPJ card and not this Sky Access program, so I don't know if SA allows multiple pax on the user's SA account. If each pax needs their own SA account, then the prospect is even less appealing.

Gig103 Nov 21, 2018 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian (Post 30453313)

That's my question too. If the $5000 would include both my wife and I, then I might do it as a fun experiment. But if I'm looking at $10k, I'd have to pass.

Milwaukee Nov 21, 2018 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 30453607)
That's my question too. If the $5000 would include both my wife and I, then I might do it as a fun experiment. But if I'm looking at $10k, I'd have to pass.

When I looked into it earlier this year the rule was the primary holder would have to physically be there.

Gig103 Nov 21, 2018 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Milwaukee (Post 30453679)

When I looked into it earlier this year the rule was the primary holder would have to physically be there.

But the primary holder was allowed guests (capacity controlled, of course)? Thanks in advance!

Milwaukee Nov 21, 2018 2:09 pm

Yeap - once you reserve the leg you get the whole plane.

I was miffed that the membership didn’t count for MQDs. A minor point, but that may have pushed me over the edge to purchase.